Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 22, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #946 of 8,223
I don't know if this is possible with a FW mod, but I'd love to see a feature that allows you to sort albums by date added.

Doubt that is possible without access to the source code of the player app

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #947 of 8,223
I don't know if this is possible with a FW mod, but I'd love to see a feature that allows you to sort albums by date added.
If you put the date in the SortAlbum tag then it will be sorted by it when displaying albums but the display name will still be whatever the Album tag is.

Oct 22, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #948 of 8,223
may i know what is Cerberus? is it another custom firmware for WM1a?
The tuning was based on an actual DMP-Z1 while being compared with a level 5 modded WM1Z. In fact, Cerberus could be seen as an alternative DMP-Z1 tuning that makes a modded 1Z to sound like a Z1

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #949 of 8,223
I have never been afraid of the apocalypse as in these days of waiting new FW.

When? When?? When???
The silence and time taking to drop, from the beta testers exposing it's existence, to now, is like suspense to the point of worrying if Mrwalkman hasn't been kidnapped (by Sony)...

Is it still being worked on?
Is it being delayed for other things?...
Is it good things come to those who wait??.

The tuning was based on an actual DMP-Z1 while being compared with a level 5 modded WM1Z. In fact, Cerberus could be seen as an alternative DMP-Z1 tuning that makes a modded 1Z to sound like a Z1
Yes that's just it. It's a tunning, that said to be good.
Yet tunnings are only dealing with signatures or flavors.
They can alter the image too, but only so much.

Meanwhile Firmware goes much deeper into things than that.

It goes into performance, output, resolve, OS/GUI features, removing limitations, as well as the base sound character, aside from tunnings.

I used to use DMP tunnings that came before Solis, so have an idea that Cerberus must be nice like those.
Not sure why it cannot be installed as old tunnings.

It will remain a tunnig that only few users tried, because it there's some confusion that it needs to be installed differently than a normal tunning, and so it was not introduced in a simple tunning method, but rather a controversial one that was proven is not working as intendid.
Correct me if I'm wrong...

So talk of "Cerberus" is like an enigma because of the improbability of actually getting it installed.
Add to that, it forcing you to use old stock firmware, even though it's just a tunning, makes for a dead end topic.
It would be nice for those that do tunnings to start using the latest moded firmwares as a base, instead.
I apologize in advance if this is a sensitive topic.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #950 of 8,223
The silence and time taking to drop, from the beta testers exposing it's existence, to now, is like suspense to the point of worrying if Mrwalkman hasn't been kidnapped (by Sony)...

Is it still being worked on?
Is it being delayed for other things?...
Is it good things come to those who wait??.

Yes that's just it. It's a tunning, that said to be good.
Yet tunnings are only dealing with signatures or flavors.
They can alter the image too, but only so much.

It goes into performance, output, resolve, OS/GUI features, removing limitations, as well as the base sound character, aside from tunnings.

I used to use DMP tunnings that came before Solis, so have an idea that Cerberus must be nice like those.

It will remain a tunnig that only few users tried, because it there's some confusion that it needs to be installed differently than a normal tunning, and so it was not introduced in a simple tunning method, but rather a controversial one that was proven is not working as intendid.

So talk of "Cerberus" is like an enigma because of the improbability of actually getting it installed.
Add to that, it forcing you to use old stock firmware, even though it's just a tunning, makes for a dead end topic.
It would be nice for those that do tunnings to start using the latest moded firmwares as a base, instead.

If I remember my Walkman mythology, Cerebus was borne to enhance and exploit the abilities of non stock (modded) hardware.

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #951 of 8,223
If I remember my Walkman mythology, Cerebus was borne to enhance and exploit the abilities of non stock (modded) hardware.
It’s one of those Pokémon legends - like MeowTwo; you hear but almost never see it, hahaha 😂

Sorry, couldn’t resist teasing you guys 🤣

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #952 of 8,223

I don't think you need to emphasize that over and over again

as a matter of fact, I'm not even using the same stock base for my tuning and even if used with the stock base, the sound for those custom-tunes are still working quite well for a modified wm1 even on the base firmware. You can see why @RobertP are re-working on the old base firmware again for his custom tunings (he simply doesn't care about the improvement of UI etc if the sound is his only focus). It can work one way or another for people

Btw, I think you missed the fun, Cerberus was actually installed on Mr.walkman's previous firmware, not the stock firmware in this case and it was working extremely well for many people. If it works, and it brings joy to people, why not? I care not about who created it and any controversy

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #953 of 8,223

Is there a download source for the Cerberus tuning?

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #954 of 8,223
When it's ready, as that's the only correct answer. All the posts & PM's in the world wont change that :wink:

Q-6

Of course I understand. Just as Redcarmoose and other lucky testers demonstrate that MK2 is something special, I also show impatience and excitement. I just wanted to play along. But I'm really looking forward to it.

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #955 of 8,223
It's a custom tuning, not a custom firmware.
tuning is like add on spice; firmware mod is like cooking, depends how good the cook , certified cook...

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #957 of 8,223
His latest post on head-fi is from a week ago, so he either was abducted or maybe he has an actual life.
I think he ditched his Headfi friends(us) for....oppsie, a girlfriend? 😂

Oct 23, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #958 of 8,223
His latest post on head-fi is from a week ago, so he either was abducted or maybe he has an actual life.
I had posted a few days ago. I spoke to him and he just needs some rest. That’s all. Keep calm and enjoy the music!

Oct 23, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #959 of 8,223
He’s fine. Patience really is needed

Oct 23, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #960 of 8,223

Users who are viewing this thread

Back