Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 31, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #6,931 of 8,232
How to switch (add) J1 / J2 / J3 regions? THX
Download the beta fw that MrWalkman posted a link to some weeks ago in this thread, it’s not on his web page yet and is also only for the WM1 players at the moment

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #6,932 of 8,232
Well unfortunate events have occured for me. My Walkman has managed to blow the left-channel of my IEMs, surprised not also my right.
How I got there... well it even confuses me some but obviously mistakes are what got me there. I had to have somehow flipped the hold switch in my pocket and proceeded to pretty much full-volume them at some point.

Which I know what were thinking. Why not just power them off?
Well over the time ive had my IEMs the power/volume up buttons have become increasingly faulty and will short out power to the whole device most of the time and id spend a good 5-15 minutes just getting them to turn on without immediately shorting back out.

Obviously a pretty good amount of frustration comes with that, but its just what I've dealt with over the last 1 1/2 years of this occurring.

As to how I didn't hear them screaming is because of the rather noisy environment I was in.

If I could have had them last simply 2 months longer, I wouldn't care as at that point in time ill be in the position to invest in hardware but this hit me at a bad time. I guess for the next 2 months Ill be playing in mono. But at least I still have a damn good car stereo to enjoy the Walkman on, it is a shame to lose the immersion of listening in free time though. It is what it is.

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #6,933 of 8,232
Well unfortunate events have occured for me. My Walkman has managed to blow the left-channel of my IEMs, surprised not also my right.
How I got there... well it even confuses me some but obviously mistakes are what got me there. I had to have somehow flipped the hold switch in my pocket and proceeded to pretty much full-volume them at some point.

Which I know what were thinking. Why not just power them off?
Well over the time ive had my IEMs the power/volume up buttons have become increasingly faulty and will short out power to the whole device most of the time and id spend a good 5-15 minutes just getting them to turn on without immediately shorting back out.

Obviously a pretty good amount of frustration comes with that, but its just what I've dealt with over the last 1 1/2 years of this occurring.

As to how I didn't hear them screaming is because of the rather noisy environment I was in.

If I could have had them last simply 2 months longer, I wouldn't care as at that point in time ill be in the position to invest in hardware but this hit me at a bad time. I guess for the next 2 months Ill be playing in mono. But at least I still have a damn good car stereo to enjoy the Walkman on, it is a shame to lose the immersion of listening in free time though. It is what it is.
I feel you! I didnt blow any earbuds but someone cracked my Walkman (fell on the floor at work) and the person that cracked it wasnt willing to replace it. i got their old airpods from that but now i have a cracked walkman. it sucks.

Apr 1, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #6,934 of 8,232
Hi guys, please excuse the absolute n00b questions, but I'm fresh off the boat with my first Walkman (WM1Z), which has Walkman One loaded and currently set to 'bright' and Plus V1.

Please can you help me with the following:

1. How do I change the sound profile to something other than bright, and toggle between Plus versions (and off)?

2. Can I disable sound profiles entirely (so the sound is essentially FW 3.02 stock), and if not, which profile is closest to stock?

3. Under system info, model is listed as DMP-Z1. Is this a toggle, or is the wrong FW loaded? How do I change this back to WM1Z?

4. Do I need to set a region? If so where, and does (3) above have anything to do with the current region setting?

5. The home page icons are orange and yellow. Is this correct, or is there a setting to change them back to default white?

Hope the above isn't too much trouble for someone to answer, or point me in the right direction for answers. Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #6,935 of 8,232
Hi guys, please excuse the absolute n00b questions, but I'm fresh off the boat with my first Walkman (WM1Z), which has Walkman One loaded and currently set to 'bright' and Plus V1.

1. How do I change the sound profile to something other than bright, and toggle between Plus versions (and off)?

2. Can I disable sound profiles entirely (so the sound is essentially FW 3.02 stock), and if not, which profile is closest to stock?

3. Under system info, model is listed as DMP-Z1. Is this a toggle, or is the wrong FW loaded? How do I change this back to WM1Z?

4. Do I need to set a region? If so where, and does (3) above have anything to do with the current region setting?

5. The home page icons are orange and yellow. Is this correct, or is there a setting to change them back to default white?

Hope the above isn't too much trouble for someone to answer, or point me in the right direction for answers. Thanks in advance.

Hey, you can find answers here: https://www.nwmods.ml/p/faq.html

Apr 1, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #6,936 of 8,232

All of this can be changed in the settings.txt file in the cfw folder in the root of the internal memory. After changing things you need to reboot the player and if you changed signature you then need to install the corresponding signature. The model depends on the signature, Bright is based on the DMP

Apr 1, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #6,938 of 8,232

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Apr 1, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #6,939 of 8,232
Hey, you can find answers here: https://www.nwmods.ml/p/faq.html
If I may ask two more questions (that I don't see in the FAQ): is the WM1Z external profile the same as stock WM1Z 3.02 firmware, or is it also tweaked? And is there a way to keep the stock sound profile (FW 3.02) without loading any external profiles and using just the Walkman One features (sand sound tweaks...other than region settings that is)? (And if so, how do I remove the currently installed external sound profile? By running the exe in the external profiles folder I assume?)

Apr 1, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #6,940 of 8,232
If I may ask two more questions (that I don't see in the FAQ): is the WM1Z external profile the same as stock WM1Z 3.02 firmware, or is it also tweaked? And is there a way to keep the stock sound profile (FW 3.02) without loading any external profiles and using just the Walkman One features (sand sound tweaks...other than region settings that is)? (And if so, how do I remove the currently installed external sound profile? By running the exe in the external profiles folder I assume?)

The WM1Z signature is the stock one.

The way the Walkman One firmware works, you have to have the corresponding external tuning installed, according to the in-use sound signature.

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #6,941 of 8,232
The WM1Z signature is the stock one.

The way the Walkman One firmware works, you have to have the corresponding external tuning installed, according to the in-use sound signature.
Ok thanks, if the WM1Z signature is the stock, then that's the one I'll start with. Want to understand the stock sound before I start playing around with tweaks.

I've played around with some settings changes in the settings.txt file - very easy and intuitive.

What does Plus 1/2 do to the sound/operation of the player?

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #6,942 of 8,232
Ok thanks, if the WM1Z signature is the stock, then that's the one I'll start with. Want to understand the stock sound before I start playing around with tweaks.

I've played around with some settings changes in the settings.txt file - very easy and intuitive.

What does Plus 1/2 do to the sound/operation of the player?
The Plus modes and alternate dac mode all changes the sound so you need to experiment yourself. Be aware that plus 1 consumes 15-25% more battery than stock while plus 2 possibly consumes a little less battery than stock

Apr 1, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #6,943 of 8,232
The Plus modes and alternate dac mode all changes the sound so you need to experiment yourself. Be aware that plus 1 consumes 15-25% more battery than stock while plus 2 possibly consumes a little less battery than stock
Thanks, has anyone tried to describe 'how' these modes change the sound, and what they actually do?

Apr 1, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #6,944 of 8,232
Thanks, has anyone tried to describe 'how' these modes change the sound, and what they actually do?
There are impressions spread around this thread but the best is for you to try them out yourself and see what suits you

Apr 1, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #6,945 of 8,232
Got the fiio fd5. Its hard to tell as i listened for like 30 minutes but i think the issues i described previosuly might be on my KZs. Fd5 needed very little eq. Their sound with direct sound option still made a big difference but this time is hard to decide if its for worse or better SQ.
Kz zsn pro probably had too much midbass that clouded midrange causing this situation. Fine cheap earphones but not for this player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back