Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #6,916 of 8,232
It doesn't say 'external tuning not applied' or any other information that could suggest anything is wrong.
I don't have high gain option enabled.
Difference in volume is about 7 points.

I may be able to address the sound difference in the next update, but I can't promise anything.

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #6,917 of 8,232
I may be able to address the sound difference in the next update, but I can't promise anything.
That's not an issue for me. I just mentioned that to paint my situation. I'm more disappointed in the sound without direct sound option checked (but its the same for stock and custom). I have no idea why its so bad.
I will get the FD5s soon so I will do more tests.

Is there a possibility that something is wrong with my unit? I doubt it as it wouldn't get better on direct sound if there was something broken but it's better to ask than worry.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #6,918 of 8,232
That's not an issue for me. I just mentioned that to paint my situation. I'm more disappointed in the sound without direct sound option checked (but its the same for stock and custom). I have no idea why its so bad.
I will get the FD5s soon so I will do more tests.

Is there a possibility that something is wrong with my unit? I doubt it as it wouldn't get better on direct sound if there was something broken but it's better to ask than worry.

It's all down to audio processing done by software.

Mar 30, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #6,919 of 8,232
It's all down to audio processing done by software.
That's what I'm thinking. If it was faulty unit direct sound would also play bad. Mind my situation it could be the reason of that review on youtube that shows that there is no difference between your soft and stock firmware. Because without direct sound there was absolutely no difference between stock and 2 different tunings. Although I haven't compared direct sound between stock and custom so I can't judge it myself (at least not yet). but maybe the guy faced similar situation.
Maybe with more time spending with equalizer I would make it work somehow (to a point) but it would need heavy modification not just +1 here -1 there. But I doubt I could get anywhere close enough to direct sound.

Mar 30, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #6,920 of 8,232
Make sure it doesn't say "external tuning not applied" in the Unit Information menu

Regarding Direct Source and loudness, it's a byproduct of the WM1A/Z firmware running on an unintended device.

Do not enable the high gain option in the output settings, as it may have something to do with the lower volume when Direct Source is not active.
Someone once mentioned that with the 1A/1Z it was good to factory reset to properly reset and restore stock sound before installing another firmware and tuning - maybe it is not required as the previous tunings are overwritten but could it be that there is some issue that may be purged with a factory reset?

Mar 30, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #6,921 of 8,232
That's what I'm thinking. If it was faulty unit direct sound would also play bad. Mind my situation it could be the reason of that review on youtube that shows that there is no difference between your soft and stock firmware. Because without direct sound there was absolutely no difference between stock and 2 different tunings. Although I haven't compared direct sound between stock and custom so I can't judge it myself (at least not yet). but maybe the guy faced similar situation.
Maybe with more time spending with equalizer I would make it work somehow (to a point) but it would need heavy modification not just +1 here -1 there. But I doubt I could get anywhere close enough to direct sound.

I have unchecked the direct source mode ( because I got lots of DSD which can't play with this mode ). I keep all the other EQs & sound effects unchecked. My A55 still sounds very good with WM1Z tuning, not much difference to direct mode checked. I have KZ ZAS, ZEX, CCA CRA, my A55 just drive them well.

I think the SQ of a A55 with stock fw is still better than most of the Android phones nowadays. With Walkman One cfw, its SQ can compare to those $500 DAPs in the market. So, I just curious what other DAP you are using now ? Would it be Sony's tuning is not your taste ?

PXL_20211003_081015733.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #6,922 of 8,232
I have unchecked the direct source mode ( because I got lots of DSD which can't play with this mode ). I keep all the other EQs & sound effects unchecked. My A55 still sounds very good with WM1Z tuning, not much difference to direct mode checked. I have KZ ZAS, ZEX, CCA CRA, my A55 just drive them well.

I think the SQ of a A55 with stock fw is still better than most of the Android phones nowadays. With Walkman One cfw, it SQ can compare to those $500 DAPs in the market. So, I just curious what other DAP you are using now ? Would it be Sony's tuning is not your taste ?

I currently only own ipod touch that is either 2g or 3g (I think 2g). The other source is laptop that plays surprisingly nice. Ipod touch has narrow soundstage and can be a little too bright. Because of that I decided to get Sony. Unless the tuning completely changes the signature I doubt the taste is a problem here. For example when you play a song that has an electric guitar solo you can barely hear the guitar without direct sound. Like you would hide it somewhere. With direct sound/ipod/laptop you can properly hear guitars without trying to 'catch them'. There are numerous examples as it just sounds bad not like wrong signature but just like stock iems on decades old noname mp3 player.

With direct sound it has a signature similar to laptop and they play on par with each other. I think both laptop and sony on direct sound squeeze all there is in my KZs. Ipod touch plays with smaller soundstage but it's not bad. Just a little bit too much treble and/or upper midrange here and there making some songs a little too sharp. And now with sony if you turn off direct sound everything that could be considered good just goes away. Everything is hidden and mashed. Completely losing any dynamic. The difference between low bass and mid bass is close to non-existent. Midrange is mashed with midbass. Trebles are lacking. There is no single thing to enjoy. Soundstage is gone even compared to ipod touch.

Of course it can be just me but the difference in how it plays depending on direct sound setting is just too big in my opinion to just narrow it down to taste. I think FD5s will let me tell a better story of what is happening.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #6,923 of 8,232
I currently only own ipod touch that is either 2g or 3g (I think 2g). The other source is laptop that plays surprisingly nice. Ipod touch has narrow soundstage and can be a little too bright. Because of that I decided to get Sony. Unless the tuning completely changes the signature I doubt the taste is a problem here. For example when you play a song that has an electric guitar solo you can barely hear the guitar without direct sound. Like you would hide it somewhere. With direct sound/ipod/laptop you can properly hear guitars without trying to 'catch them'. There are numerous examples as it just sounds bad not like wrong signature but just like stock iems on decades old noname mp3 player.

With direct sound it has a signature similar to laptop and they play on par with each other. I think both laptop and sony on direct sound squeeze all there is in my KZs. Ipod touch plays with smaller soundstage but it's not bad. Just a little bit too much treble and/or upper midrange here and there making some songs a little too sharp. And now with sony if you turn off direct sound everything that could be considered good just goes away. Everything is hidden and mashed. Completely losing any dynamic. The difference between low bass and mid bass is close to non-existent. Midrange is mashed with midbass. Trebles are lacking. There is no single thing to enjoy. Soundstage is gone even compared to ipod touch.

Of course it can be just me but the difference in how it plays depending on direct sound setting is just too big in my opinion to just narrow it down to taste. I think FD5s will let me tell a better story of what is happening.

How about the music format you are using ? mp3, wav, aac ? That's the only thing I can think of right now. Maybe you can try to play some wav file with your A55 to see if can get better.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #6,925 of 8,232
I use FLAC (~75%) and mp3 320kbps (all the rest).
Im not an expert or anything but out of curiosity, what region or regions have you tested? They could make a hell of a difference.

Personally I've tried every tuning in Walkman One and most regions and I can't say I've had much problem. Each have their own signature that are tuned differently. Ive also not had that much of a difference between turning direct source on and off which is something that also confuses me. In my experiences firmware seems to work flawlessly, with the excuse of BT having an error every now and then thats about all ive had happen in my last months of using the FW.

-also its usually a good idea to reboot after any changes to the FW just for safe measure, its just a little habit I've put in but id figure that's common sense.

Mar 30, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #6,928 of 8,232
I tried to come as close as possible with EQ to how direct sound sounds. I needed to up lowest base +2

second lowest +1

1k +1
now 2k frequency +2.5

4k +4.5

It plays kinda similar but still missing more body and dynamics.

It clearly missing something around 4k frequency. Laptop and ipod dont miss them. Direct sound also has plenty of it.

Edit: frequency correction after giving onw more shot.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #6,929 of 8,232
I went back and installed the stock firmware again. This time there is a difference. It plays well... ok. Signature changed completely (brighter than with tunings). There had to be something wrong previously with goind back to stock. Direct sound option (edit: clear sound plus on stock) made the sound worse in this case (a lot of treble).

I Installed custom again. Made sure it is installed (both in boot log file and in device info). This time I picked Neutral tuning. It's the same as before. Sucks without direct sound and plays ok (the same way as on bright tuning) with direct sound. No difference between neutral and bright.

I don't know really what to say but if not for direct sound stock firmware beats the hell out of custom. Direct sound with custom firmware beats stock though. Something has to be wrong or kz zsn pro is the weirdest pairing.

edit: tried warm (again making sure its applied). The same. There is literally no differene between bright/neutral/warm. They react the same way to EQ and change to the same sound when direct sound is applied.
I'm waiting for FD5s as there is nothing more that I can do. But seeing that on my player different tunings not changing a thing doesn't make me enthusiastic.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #6,930 of 8,232
How to switch (add) J1 / J2 / J3 regions? THX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back