Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 6, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #6,961 of 8,232
Some good news (thanks to @DaStrow for sharing this!).

Someone developed and shared on Github a way to have lower latency via the USB DAC function. This can be integrated in the next Walkman One firmware update.

I managed to test this, and it works, but only for ZX300 and A45 at the moment. I didn't try the A55 yet, nor the A35 (as I don't own it), but it doesn't work yet for the WM1A/Z players. This is because this modification was made for the ZX300, for which the kernel is compiled slightly different in comparison to the WM1A/Z. The A45 was also launched in 2017.

1649257889483.png

The latency is really low, and when using the USB DAC mode with my PC (Windows 10) the difference is not noticeable, making a movie or a music video watchable now.

I didn't try a game yet, but I'm certainly curious about it. Edit: it's awesome in a game as well, there is no noticeable latency => totally playable, with awesome sound!

The way this can be enabled (when it will be available in the next update) is by going to the USB DAC mode, and then by pressing the <<, >>, or the Play button 3 times. When you decide that you don't want to use the USB DAC mode anymore, you have to restart the player to unload the overlay.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #6,963 of 8,232
Apr 7, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #6,964 of 8,232
I managed to test this, and it works, but only for ZX300 and A45 at the moment. I didn't try the A55 yet, nor the A35 (as I don't own it), but it doesn't work yet for the WM1A/Z players. This is because this modification was made for the ZX300, for which the kernel is compiled slightly different in comparison to the WM1A/Z. The A45 was also launched in 2017.

1649257889483.png

The latency is really low, and when using the USB DAC mode with my PC (Windows 10) the difference is not noticeable, making a movie or a music video watchable now.

I didn't try a game yet, but I'm certainly curious about it. Edit: it's awesome in a game as well, there is no noticeable latency => totally playable, with awesome sound!

The way this can be enabled (when it will be available in the next update) is by going to the USB DAC mode, and then by pressing the <<, >>, or the Play button 3 times. When you decide that you don't want to use the USB DAC mode anymore, you have to restart the player to unload the overlay.
This is incredible! Reseting the player to remove the overlay is fine as UX. I'm guessing that whilst the overlay is active, vol would be controlled by the hardware buttons?

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #6,965 of 8,232
This is incredible! Reseting the player to remove the overlay is fine as UX. I'm guessing that whilst the overlay is active, vol would be controlled by the hardware buttons?

No, touchscreen works as before, only that there is this overlay showing on the screen.

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #6,966 of 8,232
Some good news (thanks to @DaStrow for sharing this!).

Someone developed and shared on Github a way to have lower latency via the USB DAC function. This can be integrated in the next Walkman One firmware update.

So this is for when using the DAP as a DAC only - nothing to do with "normal" listening ? Cool hack anyway. :thumbsup:

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #6,967 of 8,232
So this is for when using the DAP as a DAC only - nothing to do with "normal" listening ? Cool hack anyway. :thumbsup:

Yes, this is so the latency between what you see on a video stream matches what you hear when you use the DAP as a DAC.

I don't personally see how this could be helpful for normal listening :D

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #6,968 of 8,232
I am getting some news with the mods done by Nayparm .....
It looks already really nice and impressive to see ...
IMG_20220406_184638 NW666.jpg

IMG_20220406_184627 NW666.jpg

Now, I really wonder if with such load of monstrous capacitors added to my WM1A, there will be some significant improvements in speed and clarity of the ultra low and low impacts !!!!
I already enjoy the WM1A's sound quality with Mr Walkman firmware, but it can be a nice step up...
The battery should also be significantly extended too, and it seems Nayparm managed to replace for me the 3.5mm output with a 2.5mm balanced output which will be convenient with my lovely Vision Ears EXT (sold with a rather good 2.5mm balanced cable).

I expect and believe that it can be a nice life extension of my used WM1A, and be my favorite "ultraportable and compact " combo (WM1A + EXT) for a long time, maybe at the same level SQ of the FIIO M17 + DCA Stealth, with being far less bulky and can be put easily in my shirt pocket.

Apr 7, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #6,969 of 8,232
I expect and believe that it can be a nice life extension of my used WM1A, and be my favorite "ultraportable and compact " combo (WM1A + EXT) for a long time, maybe at the same level SQ of the FIIO M17 + DCA Stealth, with being far less bulky and can be put easily in my shirt pocket.
You must have some very sturdy shirts!

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #6,970 of 8,232
IMG_20220406_184638 NW666.jpg
IMG_20220406_184627 NW666.jpg
Now, I really wonder if with such load of monstrous capacitors added to my WM1A, there will be some significant improvements in speed and clarity of the ultra low and low impacts !!!!
I already enjoy the WM1A's sound quality with Mr Walkman firmware, but it can be a nice step up...
The battery should also be significantly extended too, and it seems Nayparm managed to replace for me the 3.5mm output with a 2.5mm balanced output which will be convenient with my lovely Vision Ears EXT (sold with a rather good 2.5mm balanced cable).

Nayparm's a top guy and really takes pride in his workmanship :)

q-6

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #6,971 of 8,232
Additional good news!

I've managed to compile the low latency USB DAC module for the WM1A/Z, and it works fine.

1649356821215.png

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #6,972 of 8,232
IMG_20220406_184638 NW666.jpg IMG_20220406_184627 NW666.jpg

Indeed it looks nice, and I'm sure it will sound even nicer!

I feel like I should thank Nayparm again for his generous donation of the WM1A I have right now. Without his help it would've been much harder to do stuff for the WM1A/Z players.

Apr 8, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #6,973 of 8,232
Additional good news!

I've managed to compile the low latency USB DAC module for the WM1A/Z, and it works fine.

1649356821215.png
thank you for making this possible, I love using my DAPs as USB dongles when I'm working on the computer. Being able to continue my workflow without the sound delay is a huge value add :two_hearts:

Apr 8, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #6,974 of 8,232
I managed to compile this for the A55 and A35 too.

I've made it show a different name depending on which one of our player we use:
1649448614874.png

It's also possible that this would work on the DMP-Z1 too.

This doesn't work with DSD, it's PCM only.

1649450096083.png

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #6,975 of 8,232
I feel like I've reached a roadblock lol... I can't really find any Walkman One tuning combination with region/DAC Initialization on my WM1Z, that matches the sound of my WM1A (Walkman One, SIG=0, REG=MX3, PMV=2)... I literally just bought this WM1Z and I feel like I wasted my money lmao... Granted I am limited to my BLON BL-03 earphones at the moment, but the BL-03 with my WM1A have such a good synergy for most/all my music compared to the WM1Z. I even tried the new J3 region with WM1Z external tuning and while it does sound good, there is always this subtle "strain" in the treble with any "J" region tuning that I hear that can sometimes "lash" out at me during loud segments in music (I listen to mainly rock/metal) which causes me to frantically turn down the volume lol. Perhaps I just need to upgrade my earphones to truly benefit from my WM1Z...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back