Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 15, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #661 of 8,231
That's what I also think, more a matter of convenience for some in the past for applying tuning mods that didn't match their players hardware region.

Q-6
Hmm. I thought I heard a difference when I changed the hard region to Japan previously. Then there were so many more firmwares that followed so I can’t say for sure now. But I remember that soft and hard region changed to Japan gave me a boost in dynamics overall as compared to just soft region in J.

Oct 15, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #662 of 8,231
Hmm. I thought I heard a difference when I changed the hard region to Japan previously. Then there were so many more firmwares that followed so I can’t say for sure now. But I remember that soft and hard region changed to Japan gave me a boost in dynamics overall as compared to just soft region in J.
Japan region is great!

Oct 15, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #663 of 8,231
Yep, a future mod will bring a more balanced and realistic sound signature. While more details will be retrieved, the highs will not be harsh at all anymore. Also, the soundstage will not be as wide anymore (while still wide), but it will be taller, creating a more 3D soundstage.

DMP-WM1 II

DMP-WM1 II is absolutely and outstandingly breathtaking. I’ve been listening to it for the past 10 days or more and am loving every second of it. It’s a flawless firmware that brings out every possible nuance you can think of. It portrays all frequencies so dynamically yet naturally. Nothing sounds forced, nothing sounds fake. It’s just music how you remember it to be. Brilliant. I think this is it for me. I know I’ve said this before, but this is really it. It’s flawless in every aspect and sounds just heavenly with my 1A. I can’t ask for more.

The bass is just so divine, deep and impactful yet fully resolving in every way. The mids are so sweet and full yet lush and delicate. And the highs are satin smooth and decays are perfect.

I’m listening to it through my K5 Pro amp. Sounds great on its own as well. The amp just makes everything so much more alive and opens up the astounding soundstage even further.

This is the sound we have been waiting for and we’ve found it. It’s just so addictive. Thanks for your tireless and unselfish efforts yet again @MrWalkman

This is it! Wait for it guys!

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #665 of 8,231
DMP-WM1 II is absolutely and outstandingly breathtaking. I’ve been listening to it for the past 10 days or more and am loving every second of it. It’s a flawless firmware that brings out every possible nuance you can think of. It portrays all frequencies so dynamically yet naturally. Nothing sounds forced, nothing sounds fake. It’s just music how you remember it to be. Brilliant. I think this is it for me. I know I’ve said this before, but this is really it. It’s flawless in every aspect and sounds just heavenly with my 1A. I can’t ask for more.

The bass is just so divine, deep and impactful yet fully resolving in every way. The mids are so sweet and full yet lush and delicate. And the highs are satin smooth and decays are perfect.

I’m listening to it through my K5 Pro amp. Sounds great on its own as well. The amp just makes everything so much more alive and opens up the astounding soundstage even further.

This is the sound we have been waiting for and we’ve found it. It’s just so addictive. Thanks for your tireless and unselfish efforts yet again @MrWalkman

This is it! Wait for it guys!

What headphones do you guys use for testing these firmwares and do you have a DMP available for reference sound?

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #666 of 8,231
What headphones do you guys use for testing these firmwares and do you have a DMP available for reference sound?

Just using my own, Shure SE846, Sony Z7M2, Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro.

I don't have a DMP-Z1 available, I barely afforded the WM1A. I could always name it something else than "DMP-WM1", but the firmware is still based on the DMP-Z1 sound, hence the name of the firmware mod. Call it magic :)

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #667 of 8,231
Oct 15, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #668 of 8,231
Received my second hand A55 today. Region changed to J and installed the A50R fw set to high gain and source direct. Copied some high res flac and dsd albums and am listening now with IER-Z1R. Don’t have my 1Z with me to compare with but it sounds absolutely fantastic

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #669 of 8,231

There is also it seems a difference using all BA IEMs with the DMP-Z1 emulator firmware and Walkman 1Z. But also maybe a set with a all BA treble boost? I have concentrated with using the IER-Z1R and Noble Audio Encore K-10 Universal. I have also tried a bunch of listening with the 6BA DUNU Studio SA6. Though, my best experiences were with using the Noble K-10 Encore. If you read throughout the thread here there are two individuals who have done side-by-side comparisons. One member owns a DMP-Z1 and another visits shops in Tokyo where they have the DMP-Z1 for demonstration purposes.

The reality we learned this year was that firmware makes a way way bigger difference than previously thought. The fact that this stuff is so good mechanically that the firmware has actually stifled the sound, resulting in a pre-planned tier structure for merchandising, possibly?

And while much of the aftermarket firmware design strategies may be kept on the down-low. Members have verified in this thread the parallels and similarities between the players. In the end I would guess there is going to be individual synergy (the IEM and listener taste) and of course group synergy where the output is just so darn good that it raises the bar inevitably?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #670 of 8,231
Did you tried the adapter? Sounds very interesting to me.

The only thing that adapter does is add ground to the 4.4

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #671 of 8,231
There is also it seems a difference using all BA IEMs with the DMP-Z1 emulator firmware and Walkman 1Z. But also maybe a set with a all BA treble boost? I have concentrated with using the IER-Z1R and Noble Audio Encore K-10 Universal. I have also tried a bunch of listening with the 6BA DUNU Studio SA6. Though, my best experiences were with using the Noble K-10 Encore. If you read throughout the thread here there are two individuals who have done side-by-side comparisons. One member owns a DMP-Z1 and another visits shops in Tokyo where they have the DMP-Z1 for demonstration purposes.

The reality we learned this year was that firmware makes a way way bigger difference than previously thought. The fact that this stuff is so good mechanically that the firmware has actually stifled the sound, resulting in a pre-planned tier structure for merchandising. :xf_eek:

And while much of the aftermarket firmware design strategies may be kept on the down-low. Members have verified in this thread the parallels and similarities between the players. In the end I would guess there is going to individual synergy (the IEM and listener taste) and of course group synergy where the output is just so darn good that it raises the bar inevitably?
It’s true, it’s true.

ECA6842A-B10B-4AF9-9B07-F304EC297ACF.jpeg

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #672 of 8,231
I use a Sennheiser hd400s, Sony Z5 and 1more triple driver headphones primarily.

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #673 of 8,231
Just quoted myself above: :)

The interesting thing I didn’t mention was the discovery if somehow the detail now gifted to the 1Z with DMP-Z1 emulation firmware could in fact be ported into another amplifier?

This would be the dream to have happen. To somehow amplify the detail and add power making in a sense a “Ghetto DMP-Z1” :)

Well, dreams or wild attempts at such random speculation do fall short, in actual use! Don’t get me wrong I have never heard the DMP-Z1, yet with this simple test I can say it’s not just hooking up random RCA cords to the output of the 1Z and going to town. There is maybe not such a simple 1Z unit inside the DMP-Z1 hooked with some miniature hardware store jumper cables in place. Yet the common folk like me would wonder if that’s a distant reality of actually happening here.

I guess with all these firmware Christmas Gifts we have got our hopes up and become spoiled beyond measure?

To land back grounded here. Going 4.4mm to the MDR-Z1R is of course less convoluted and realistic. The old saying of getting closer is in-fact somehow (way-way more) real here. The simplistic additive of full-size headphones to a simple DAP is yet the best solution even if it gets daily arrows shot at it for somehow being inept or worse underpowered. Truly with the new firmwares the 1A/1Z is anything but inept or underpowered? Of course there is that last 10% which can be found if you somehow rob a bank, or are lucky enough to have a rich uncle leave you some spending money for a DMP-Z1. And while I can believe the reports of the DMP-Z1 emulation taking place with IEMs and the Walkman 1Z; there is still much to proven to me to believe the 1Z and DMP-Z1 will be equal with full-size headphones no matter what firmware they use.

Edit:
To add to the above post it should maybe be mentioned that small additives of volume amounts via firmware seem to add big differences when using full-size headphones.

The added robustness seems to be a big deal with full-size, like the new sound signature is filling out the full-size headphone. This must be a quality either not needed or not listened for as much with the Walkman players and IEMs?
There is no need to rob a bank to get a DMP-Z1, it is not a Bentley 😊

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #674 of 8,231
There is no need to rob a bank to get a DMP-Z1, it is not a Bentley 😊
Yeah but it’s not within reach of the common man. Let’s face it no middle or low income earner can ever dream of owning the Z1. At the current price at least.

Oct 15, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #675 of 8,231
Yeah but it’s not within reach of the common man. Let’s face it no middle or low income earner can ever dream of owning the Z1. At the current price at least.
I’m within reach and I’m a common person. It can be done

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back