Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 13, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #631 of 8,231
@MrWalkman Is there anyway you can fix Music Centre for PC? Sony had this smooth, amazing product called Media Go which they replaced with this laggy, slow POS called Music Centre for PC which is good for libraries of less than 100 CD.

Why I cared about Music Centre is that it still has DSEE HX which works nicely with other DAC, but god it is slow to scand doesn't display any cover art.

Oct 13, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #632 of 8,231
@MrWalkman Is there anyway you can fix Music Centre for PC? Sony had this smooth, amazing product called Media Go which they replaced with this laggy, slow POS called Music Centre for PC which is good for libraries of less than 100 CD.

Why I cared about Music Centre is that it still has DSEE HX which works nicely with other DAC, but god it is slow to scand doesn't display any cover art.

I never used it and I don't think there's anything I can do about the software.

Oct 13, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #633 of 8,231
' Why I cared about Music Centre is that it still has DSEE HX ' THANKS FOR RAISING YOUR VOICES!

Facts are facts. Many of us love using Music Center ONLY BECAUSE OF DSEE HX, otherwise it just doesn't exist, like iTunes.

DSEE HX porting to PC was a result of intense lobbying in Japan, which came up in the media through Fujimoto Ken's DAL pages:

https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/dal/1080038.html
He expressly mentions for his Music Centre v1 review, that 'it isn't DSEE HX'. How disappointing. Because he got used to a Sony that didn't care about software - cf. legendary and STILL-USED-TODAY SonicStage Mastering Studio v 1.0 through to v 2.6.02 with SBM, SBMD, WAVES, Sonnox, QSound, Sony original plugins etc bundled into VAIO over 2005-2009!

https://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/series/dal/627811.html
He asks Mr Toru Chinen, also a key figure in the latest 2018 HX AI Sony in-house interview, whether PC use of DSEE HX will arise. Well, it did, 5 years later, but it took a huge amount of lobbying man!

Also, like the crappy DSEE in SonicStage (which Ken also interviewed back in 2006), the PC DSEE HX makes little difference (depending on speaker type) and is very unlikely to be the 2016 updated version using 8fs processing, or at least, it seems independent of the upsampling because it doesn't matter whether it's on or off, all 44.1kHz material is output as 176 and all 48 kHz gets to 192, if you set output to 'Recommended'. Seems more like the feeble 2013 DSEE HX version to me.

I'll have to give credit though, audionewbi only knows Media Go, which I liked only because it could rip FLACs (when i didn't know EAC) and do 'Karaoke' - taking off the vocals (even Audacity can do it, and few PAID plugins are that easy to use). I know X-Application, commonly spoken as 'X-Appri', meaning X-App, which is based on SonicStage V, and was used in VAIO PCs from 2009. I still use it because it has NONSTOP MIX (playback of short 120 sec highlights with fades) and 'SensMe' which is basically 12 Tone Analysis (used in VAIO MusicBox from 2007? but incorporated into X-Application) creating channels/playlists under various names, a feature only removed in the latest A105. Note that SonicStage and X-Application could rip HE-AAC from CDs. My point is that Sony deserves credit for improving audio output (it used to be very choppy and heavy on the CPU) from X-Application in their Music Centre v1, and further in v2.

All the associated files are also several KBs smaller, so your installation file is smaller. A cool X-Application I liked was X-Pict Story, which creates dynamic slideshows with music - which you could enjoy on old walkmans. X-Pict Story also came on BRAVIA TVs and SD cards etc which could output larger files. X-radar or something was also cool for it used Wi-Fi as a GPS, and you could find tasty food near your public wifi - thanks to a spin-off company from Sony CSL which UTokyo's Rekimoto also was involved in.

Overall, despite Sony being a very cool company, much of those features aren't necessary in daily life for the non-enthusiast. Nor are XM4s necessary unless not having wires is such a big issue. Nor is DSEE HX and derivatives necessary if HDDs dropped in price and hires became easier to store and playback. for convenience I use 96 kbps files on average, and certainly with streaming the DSEE HX placebo is nice to have.

Music Center v2.4.0 will have DSEE HX AI/ DSEE Ultimate for PC , because it doesn't affect streaming - Music Center can't stream.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Center_for_PC

Allow me to further mention that this community, unless we all don't have good Internet, isn't all that hot, because as soon as the firmwares ceased, any NW-A45 user for example, could not access any downloads a third party could have provided. So we're rather self-serving or perhaps decided that actual demand is low for niche walkmans. I can't really upload anyway.

Oct 13, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #634 of 8,231
I think it will be awesome if you see how fw interacts with more regions dough it can be confusing for some... I recall the 1A with 1A/1Z+ to be VERY GOOD and liked a little better over the new DMP-Z1 emulation I dont know why... but the newemulation sounds weird on my 1A in fact I stated with no tuning applied its just sounded better... so thats my humble oipinion now im back to good old 3.00 for the hate of the avid reader.

I still don’t know how you use 3.00? It was only out in the wild for a few days before Sony updated it due to flaws?

But I guess if you don’t turn off your player the full data base scan every time you turn it on is not a big deal? Also strangely not everyone experienced random freeze-ups and crashes! It was all about if 3.00 liked you and your player. Still at the time I was going to avoid 3.01 until I was informed 3.00 and 3.01 sound different. I was under the impression the two sounded identical until I was enlightened.

Still the crazy part of this hobby is just a slight tip port circumference can be the difference between liking an not liking an IEM. It seems we become infatuated with a small detail?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #636 of 8,231
To focus on what happened with the 1Z was pretty much the small character of treble boost the 1Z has always had over the TA. Remember the TA and 1Z are made by two different wings of Sony. The TA wing has made amps since the late 1970s early 1980s. It’s the DMP-Z1 firmware which is now going in and taking what was before a 1Z characteristic brick-wall treble experience and expanding it out into treble textures which are not exactly there with the TA. So it is detail that was before borderline hot in the 1Z. Which before was looked at like treble detail simply bright to synthetically add detail; to now actually using that detail area to create the smoothest and most golden warm (realistically expanded and detailed) agreeable treble?

I agree with your treble comment.

In addition, I think DMP-Z1 firmware + tuning has a more matured sound when compared to previous firmware's. I would love to have the midrange detail and "liquidity" in the 1Z stock 3.01 inserted in the DMP-Z1 firmware + tuning.

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #637 of 8,231
My philosophy of mastering?

Annotation 2020-10-14 185850.gif

I only use sonicstage mastering to convert DSD to WAV, it's a nice consumer software that seems really professional. Since a decade ago however, Sonnox plugins are bundled in INTERNET's Sound It! Pro software (they copied Sony in using Sonnox plugins).
Annotation 2020-10-14 185944.gif

Additionally, I'd mention that SSMS incorporates so much from Sonoma DSD (gain adjust, cut, SBM Direct), OXF-R3 (patch bay, 3 band EQ etc) and that cool OXF-R3 photo (different photos used in v 1 and v 2) make this a highly valuable archival collection. Indeed, I've collected (from VAIO backup CDs) nearly every version from 1.2 through to 2.6.00. Later versions (2.6) didn't have WAVES. And the plugins had a separate installer. And there was a Audio Filter software so you could listen to WMP and tweak VST effects. My favourite version of SSMS would be SSMS RE 2.4.03 bundled with PCM-D50. It's compatible with Win 7 and has the pesky px engine of Sonic Studios integrated. There's always that px engine problem which you have to solve by installing px engine or SSMS RE 2.4.03, and it doesn't always work - tweaking the registry is ok too. I use DSD Mode in a VHD (vdi file) of a Windows Vista VAIO machine, because it won't enter that mode unless your VAIO has the CXD9872 chip or ALC889DSD chip and the Sound Reality drivers. Meanwhile, 2.6 allows ALC889DSD chips to record via mic in (on laptops). Previously CXD9872 could only record DSD through Line in ports (desktops only). This ability to record DSD using a PC analog jack is unrivalled even today. Not that it sounds that good. PCM-D100 can do DSD recording, so it's not like we need VAIO DSD.

So clearly I am the world's biggest fan of SSMS. I know it better than the guys who spent 2003 coding this program perhaps. And no doubt I strive to be a mastering engineer because of SSMS. If there was no SSMS, I'd not know or take interest in mastering...nor would I respect DSD.

Of course, real mastering is never as simple as this kind of 'toy'/SSMS done in the digital domain. But SSMS symbolises what makes manipulating sound fun. If you feel the consoles look kinda cool, and enjoy listening and comparing before and after, and spending hours doing trial and error to achieve the potential of sound sources then mastering may be for you. The biggest issue is that mastering will be overtaken by AI plugins (just think DSEE AI, if not iZotope and others), unless the industry can demonstrate that the proven ears of mastering engineers coupled with their analog consoles is much more worthwhile than the low-cost plugins we 'get drunk with' using.

I've tried to understand the habits and practices of listeners in the last few years just so I can better consider the recording and mastering stages and what is most needed there. I'd say there is little to be achieved in opening another studio to operate locally. These days there can only be platform makers, plugin developers, educators, with the greatest dream of trying to achieve in digital, what could only be done in analog. Then mastering would be obsolete.

Annotation 2020-10-14 185808.gif

Is OXF-R3 the greatest digital that ever existed? Is Sonoma Workstation still the best DSD Recorder?

We basically depend on the 1 bit audio researchers in Waseda Uni to come up with some breakthrough DSD editing method, because until then, there won't be any unification in this industry.

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #638 of 8,231
I agree with your treble comment.

In addition, I think DMP-Z1 firmware + tuning has a more matured sound when compared to previous firmware's. I would love to have the midrange detail and "liquidity" in the 1Z stock 3.01 inserted in the DMP-Z1 firmware + tuning.
Stay tuned.

Oct 14, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #639 of 8,231
Stay tuned.

Yep, a future mod will bring a more balanced and realistic sound signature. While more details will be retrieved, the highs will not be harsh at all anymore. Also, the soundstage will not be as wide anymore (while still wide), but it will be taller, creating a more 3D soundstage.

DMP-WM1 II

1602680811378.png

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #640 of 8,231
@MrWalkman

I have been following the A-55 and your impressive mod for a while now and have a quick question.

Does your firmware enable the ability to use aptX Low Latency ?

It's the only thing that has stopped me from buying the A-55, as I will also use the player for movie playback via my PC. aptX LL is a must for this.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #641 of 8,231
Yep, a future mod will bring a more balanced and realistic sound signature. While more details will be retrieved, the highs will not be harsh at all anymore. Also, the soundstage will not be as wide anymore (while still wide), but it will be taller, creating a more 3D soundstage.

1602687115280.png

After all patience is a virtue...

Q-6

Oct 14, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #642 of 8,231
Does your firmware enable the ability to use aptX Low Latency ?

No, it doesn't enable the ability to use aptX LL.

However, I played videos over Bluetooth to the A55, and there is an automatic delay that makes it so the video syncs with the audio. It's the same as with any Bluetooth headphones. Do you get a delay on your Bluetooth headphone if you're watching a video while connected to a PC or a smartphone?

aptX LL would be a must only if you want to play games.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #643 of 8,231
I do use music center but it's only for the SensMe.

Mediago I still have it, also the installer on my hard drives. I've hit 60.000+ tracks and still buttery smooth.

BTW Imanaged to snag a sandisk extreme 1TB micro SD card for 245€ before it went up in price again

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #644 of 8,231
No, it doesn't enable the ability to use aptX LL.

However, I played videos over Bluetooth to the A55, and there is an automatic delay that makes it so the video syncs with the audio. It's the same as with any Bluetooth headphones. Do you get a delay on your Bluetooth headphone if you're watching a video while connected to a PC or a smartphone?

aptX LL would be a must only if you want to play games.

No, it would mainly be for movies when using Bluetooth. Good to know that syncing can counter the latency.

It's currently £130 on Amazons Prime Day.
I know what has to be done 👍

Thank you. Looking forward to trying the mod in the next couple of days.

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #645 of 8,231
No, it would mainly be for movies when using Bluetooth. Good to know that syncing can counter the latency.

It's currently £130 on Amazons Prime Day.
I know what has to be done 👍

Thank you. Looking forward to trying the mod in the next couple of days.

I’ve been watching movies on my iPad and sending sound over BT to my 1Z ever since BT receiver was implemented with no sync problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back