Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 12, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #601 of 8,223
Have you gone back to the factory firmware? Does the error message appear when running the stock firmware since you pushed the custom firmware?

Even though I selected factory reset in the settings after the factory reset I am still using the custom DMP firmware. Will I have to use the tool on my PC to get back to stock firmware?

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #602 of 8,223
Even though I selected factory reset in the settings after the factory reset I am still using the custom DMP firmware. Will I have to use the tool on my PC to get back to stock firmware?
Yes. You need to reinstall the official Sony A55 firmware from Sony website. Then the error message should be gone permanently.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #603 of 8,223
if you get used to MX3 you will find hard to like DMP sound and also 3.00 elevate that feeling depending IEMS i think new custom fw benefits more from balanced friend and also benefits DIRECT MODE USERS
Well, everything takes a big step up in all departments with the DMP-1Z fw., meaning a very good bass & improved resolution in midrange and treble. Whats not to like? I do find that the DMP-1Z fw. does enhance the small differences between the regions. And after checking most of them, I have settled for U. In MX3 there's something odd going on in the lowest bass.
Also take into account that it's quite important where you're using this setup. I listen while commuting to work 95% of the time and outdoors. That's not the same as critical listning at home in quiet surroundings. I must say that trying fw's and regions is where you can fine-tune your Walkman to the sound that you like. But, Mindstorm you have me all worried with those words. My 64Audio Tia Fourte are def. not neutral, but very entertaining!

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #604 of 8,223
Yes. You need to reinstall the official Sony A55 firmware from Sony website. Then the error message should be gone permanently.

Okay, I will reinstall the official Sony A55 firmware. It’s a pity I have to go back to using the stock rom because I really liked the sound quality using the DMP custom rom.

Oct 12, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #605 of 8,223
Okay, I will reinstall the official Sony A55 firmware. It’s a pity I have to go back to using the stock rom because I really liked the sound quality using the DMP custom rom.

The error only appears when using DMP-A50R. With DMP-A50 it does not appear. I also got the error a few times, but now I don't get it anymore.

Also, you won't be able to install the official Sony A50 firmware. You first need to install StockRevert (DMP-A50R).

It's not something you must do, it's your choice to do it or not. There are two mods for A50, DMP-A50 and DMP-A50R. With DMP-A50 you don't get that error.

Did you try it before deciding you have to go back to using the official A50 firmware? :)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #606 of 8,223
The error only appears when using DMP-A50R. With DMP-A50 it does not appear. I also got the error a few times, but now I don't get it anymore.

Also, you won't be able to install the official Sony A50 firmware. You first need to install StockRevert (DMP-A50R).

It's not something you must do, it's your choice to do it or not. There are two mods for A50, DMP-A50 and DMP-A50R. With DMP-A50 you don't get that error.

Did you try it before deciding you have to go back to using the official A50 firmware? :)

Apologies if you’ve mentioned it before but what is the difference between the DMP-A50 and DMP-A50R custom firmware? I still haven’t installed the stock firmware so I might reinstall using the DMP-A50 firmware this time. However is the sound quality on the DMP-A50 the same as the DMP-A50R firmware?

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #607 of 8,223
Apologies if you’ve mentioned it before but what is the difference between the DMP-A50 and DMP-A50R custom firmware? I still haven’t installed the stock firmware so I might reinstall using the DMP-A50 firmware this time. However is the sound quality on the DMP-A50 the same as the DMP-A50R firmware?

You can see the differences by checking out the posts for both mods:

DMP-A50: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-fw-mods-non-android.943661/page-13#post-15896939
DMP-A50R: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-fw-mods-non-android.943661/page-24#post-15900068

I think DMP-A50R sounds better, but DMP-A50 still sounds better than the stock firmware.

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #608 of 8,223
After a few days with the A50R, I have to say I couln’t be happier with it. I am no expert I must say. I have a very limited experience of players and headphones.
The Nwa-55L was my fist dap after countless Apple ipods and Iphones, the last with a dragonfly black dac. A few months ago, I bought the A&K SR 25 which is in my opinion an excellent dap. Truth is lately the Sony 55 was relegated to Bluetooth receiver and not much more since I clearly preferred the sound of the SR 25. I was even thinking about selling the Sony. Then came the A50R firmware and I use again the Sony. I go back and forth between both players, sometimes the Sony and sometimes the A&K. I wouldn’t be able to decide between them soundwise. The functions are different of course. That is really a lot to say since the sound of the Sr25 is amazing to my ears. Also now the A50R. I’m keeping the Sony.

Oct 12, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #609 of 8,223
You can see the differences by checking out the posts for both mods:

DMP-A50: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-fw-mods-non-android.943661/page-13#post-15896939
DMP-A50R: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-fw-mods-non-android.943661/page-24#post-15900068

I think DMP-A50R sounds better, but DMP-A50 still sounds better than the stock firmware.

I installed the DMP-50 firmware and so far it has fixed the error message problem I was having. However the DMP-50 custom firmware has the same sound functions as the stock Sony firmware with Clear Audio, VPT surround and the basic 5 band EQ. I miss the 10 band EQ and tone control on the DMP-50R firmware. I might try and reinstall the DMP-50R firmware just to get the 10 band EQ and tone control back and see if the error message comes back.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #610 of 8,223
I installed the DMP-50 firmware and so far it has fixed the error message problem I was having. However the DMP-50 custom firmware has the same sound functions as the stock Sony firmware with Clear Audio, VPT surround and the basic 5 band EQ. I miss the 10 band EQ and tone control on the DMP-50R firmware. I might try and reinstall the DMP-50R firmware just to get the 10 band EQ and tone control back and see if the error message comes back.
try this, revert to stock firmware > factory reset > install DMP-A50R (download again the mod to make sure you have the latest/not corrupt one)

Oct 12, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #611 of 8,223
Well, everything takes a big step up in all departments with the DMP-1Z fw., meaning a very good bass & improved resolution in midrange and treble. Whats not to like? I do find that the DMP-1Z fw. does enhance the small differences between the regions. And after checking most of them, I have settled for U. In MX3 there's something odd going on in the lowest bass.
Also take into account that it's quite important where you're using this setup. I listen while commuting to work 95% of the time and outdoors. That's not the same as critical listning at home in quiet surroundings. I must say that trying fw's and regions is where you can fine-tune your Walkman to the sound that you like. But, Mindstorm you have me all worried with those words. My 64Audio Tia Fourte are def. not neutral, but very entertaining!
I agree bass feels thiker in U while feels deeper in MX3 U its a little wider also!

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #613 of 8,223
Looking to purchase an nw-a55, will the DMP-A50R work on this model?

Of course it will. I'm using DMP-A50 on my A55, planning to try A50R version soon.

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #614 of 8,223
Oct 12, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #615 of 8,223
Looking to purchase an nw-a55, will the DMP-A50R work on this model?
yes it will

I got a used nw a55 for 100 dlls (second hand) i will be getting it by wednesday, ill be able to compare dmp in 55, 45 ... not 35 as of yet, but who knows. im actually wanting to start a Sony Collection, starting by XBA n3, i got a borrowed pair, i quite like em, with dmp 300 holographic is quite outstanding, with wm1a it became a 3d helmet sort of thing, is quite impressive, im looking at deals but still im a bit broke and saving for Semper and PB2 from IMR

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back