Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Oct 10, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #571 of 8,223
Open Zip (with windows archiver), copy files, make a new folder, paste items, plug in DAP, install files, play some music, marry a beautiful woman, make your self a sandwich, do good to others, forgive those that you think you hate (it’s just polluting you, they don’t care about your hate), plant a tree, teach something to someone, start something new, buy an iem and eat organic.

It’s 2020, people can google how to disable defender, how to install a boot camp partition and how to basically do a nuclear reactor in their garages, stop asking windows questions to the dude building the software.

Now this is a bit random
Some things to note are: beautiful women are ultra rare!, sandwiches are just not on the menu if you're gluten free or are of a different culture, when did others do good to you?!, some evil actions are unforgivable but to stop it polluting you it may be possible to forget, but it gets very hard if your body is in pain or disability because of it, or if you're taking medications because of it or some other variation of bad news you see in the media, fruit trees would be more useful, teachers have to make problems easier for others which not everybody can do at all - because it takes effort to learn alongside your students which makes your teaching better, new things may not necessarily be 'good' because all actions have risks, IEMs are bad for ears, organic doesn't mean much in terms of health - grow your own vegetables in your backyard - very difficult!

Google is no match for database research nor is it a substitute for face-to-face or even virtual communication.

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #572 of 8,223
But I totally agree that in 2020, it is easy, for the capable person, to learn from YouTube how to set up an incredibly advanced farming system, taking wisdom from all kinds of farming styles (growing from air without soil, growing in ponds with fish, freezing banana seeds to enable a Cavendish banana to grow in cold areas and not get the disease to mention only the surface of options) or DIY videos, so that Sony CSL's synecoculture or Panasonic's factory LED farming looks pale in comparison.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #573 of 8,223
Of course, we must all forge our own path, using what search skills and language skills we have, and so long as we don't do any evil to others, I'm sure there's no 'obligation' to do 'good', we should be thankful we can just remain neutral to each other. But that is not our topic.

Here I present a chat log regarding DSEE, and although there is much analysis on DSEE AI over in the ZX500 thread, I decided to publicise DSEE in this thread instead. As usual, there is sth peculiarly funny reading translations of Japanese.

Thank you very much for your patience. This is the dam in charge.
Will DSEE HX also complement HE AAC and HE AAC v2 in the high frequency range? Or is it not complemented because it overlaps with the high frequency complement that comes with HEAAC?
NW-A45
You want to check if the DSEE-HX function of the NW-A45 can complement HE AAC and HE AAC v2 in the high frequency range.
Yes, it is.
Understood.
Excuse me, but the DSEE-HX function is an automatic upscaling function that automatically upscales compressed sound sources such as CDs and MP3s to high-resolution sound sources with the amount of information equivalent to high resolution, so it is disabled in HE AAC and HE AAC v2. 2020/10/11 01:00 PM
I'm very sorry that I can't prepare the answer that meets your expectations.
Thank you for your understanding.
Is DSEE HX valid for AAC / ATRAC / WMA?
The DSEE HX function is valid except for high-resolution audio sources.
Will the NW-A55's AI-equipped DSEE HX work with HEAAC?
Excuse me, but HEAAC is a high-resolution sound source, so you don't need DSEE HX.
If DSEE Ultimate of Xperia 1II works for all sounds, does it work for HEAAC?
We apologize for the inconvenience, but the content of your inquiry is
We will guide you at the dedicated window of Sony Mobile Communications.
We apologize for the inconvenience, but please contact the dedicated chat window.
■ Sony Mobile chat window
http://www.sony.jp/support/mobile/inquiry/chat.html
I'm really sorry that there is no information that can be provided from this window.

The usage consultation counter is open 24 hours a day, so if you have any questions, we would appreciate it if you could use this counter.

Thank you for your cooperation.
It is said that DSEE Ultimate has been newly applied to the expansion of bit depth, but the DSEE HX equipped with AI technology of DMP-Z1 is the same as the DSEE HX equipped with AI technology (currently DSEE Extreme) that does not really expand the bit depth. Is that so?
On the feature page of DMP-Z1, https://www.sony.jp/audio/products/DMP-Z1/feature_4.html
By complementing the high frequency range of music files and raising the sampling frequency and bit rate from the original values, it is converted to a resolution (192kHz / 32bit-48kHz / 32bit) of CD (44.1kHz / 16bit) or higher. Highly compressed sound sources such as MP3s also have higher resolution than CDs, allowing you to enjoy clearer and more dynamic sound. By using a new AI (artificial intelligence) technology, the type of song is automatically determined. The complementary performance in the treble range has also been further improved.

It seems that there is nothing about bit completion, but I think that many customers do not know these days.
Basically, with DSEE Extreme, even highly compressed sound sources such as MP3s have higher resolution than CDs, and you can enjoy clearer and more dynamic sound.
Isn't DSEE Ultimate the same as the previous HX AI? Some argue that HX AI and DSEE Extreme are the same thing, but in the end
Isn't HX AI / DSEE Extreme / DSEE Ultimate the same function except for XM4?
Regarding this matter, as the customer guessed
DSEE Extreme and DSEE HX are different.
Of course, DSEE Extreme and DSEE HX are different, but some sites say that DSEE Extreme and DSEE HX AI versions are the same. And I'm guessing that the DSEE HX AI version and DSEE Ultimate are the same.
So to speak, only the name is changed, but the contents are the same, except for DSEE Extreme of XM4 (without bits).
Regarding the request we received this time
We accept valuable opinions and requests from our customers
I will send it to the department in charge.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we will continue to use our products in the future.
Thank you for your patronage.
If I wrote more in the manual, this would not have happened.
I've acknowledged.
Besides, https://twitter.com/kuchan1994/status/1313452691914252289
Will DSEE Ultimate be implemented in Music Center for PC?
Excuse me, but I can't confirm it at the above URL.
Everyone is waiting for DSEE Ultimate to be implemented in Music Center for PC.
Understood.
To be clear, Music Center for PC has only the advantage of DSEE, and not the others.
I've acknowledged.
At least Japanese fans tend to be negative, so I think it makes sense to implement DSEE Ultimate in Music Center for PC as well.
Please send us your requests regarding Sony products.
Thank you very much.
Well, dam, sorry for the trouble,

And thank you.
Let's cut it.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #574 of 8,223
And PS:

Sorry to keep you waiting.

this time
Thank you for using chat support.
My name is Toshima and I am in charge of the Sony Mobile chat window.
Thank you.
I had this kind of exchange a while ago:
Will DSEE HX also complement HE AAC and HE AAC v2 in the high frequency range? Or is it not complemented because it overlaps with the high frequency complement that comes with HEAAC?

NW-A45
Excuse me, but the DSEE-HX function is an automatic upscaling function that automatically upscales compressed sound sources such as CDs and MP3s to high-resolution sound sources with the amount of information equivalent to high resolution, so it is disabled in HE AAC and HE AAC v2.
Will the NW-A55's AI-equipped DSEE HX work with HEAAC?
Excuse me, but HEAAC is a high-resolution sound source, so you don't need DSEE HX.
HEAAC is a lossy compression but is it a high resolution sound source?

If DSEE Ultimate of Xperia 1II works for all sounds, does it work for HEAAC?
Please tell me whether DSEE Ultimate of Xperia 1II works for all sounds.
Thank you for entering the content of your consultation first.

I am sorry.
Who is the carrier of the Xperia 1 II series?
Well au
Understood.

I'm back
I'm investigating, so can you wait?
2020/10/11 01:37 PM
Sorry to keep you waiting.

I'm sorry to have kept you waiting
About the range in which DSEE Ultimate operates
No clear information could be confirmed.

The content that it supports "compressed sound sources such as CD, MP3, AAC"
I was able to confirm it
It seems that it corresponds to all contents.
2020/10/11 01:49 PM
It took some time, but I couldn't confirm the specific contents.
I'm sorry I couldn't give you meaningful information.
Well, there is a question that HX AI, DSEE Extreme, and DSEE Ultimate have the same function except for XM4, and at the moment I am vague about that.
I had a lot of consultation
I'm sorry I couldn't help you.
If you have any problems in the future
We are always looking forward to hearing from you.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #575 of 8,223
Conclusions on SBR of DSEE

I will add here that HE AAC was never supported by DSEE, while on DSEE HX, there is no audible clarity etc, and I doubt AI changed that, and the question remains whether Xperia Android applies system wide - which I think it does. So on Xperia, HE AAC MIGHT sound better...you see, it's not trivial to ask this nerdy niche question because HE AAC is the best and smallest audio ever, and so long as you get the foobar encoder running with Quicktime dlls and Winamp dlls, HE AAC/+is easy to encode.

It has always been common sense that SBR (DSEE) only 'works' for 32-64 kbps files, while 128kbps files don't gain much if you stick some inaudible high frequencies on the end. DSEE is a game-changer because it strives to improve even FLAC files which by common sense, does not need to be tampered with. I tried to use a common sense approach and see whether DSEE, based on SBR of HE AAC, could instead improve HE AAC even better than HE AAC's own inbuilt SBR decoder. Unfortunately not! Sony's DSEE is not to be fitted into common sense...a one of a kind SBR indeed!

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #576 of 8,223
With the sound improvements of the firmware mods and the ability to have DSD with the 3.5mm output are many people choosing to use a headphone amp as opposed to a dac?

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #577 of 8,223
With the sound improvements of the firmware mods and the ability to have DSD with the 3.5mm output are many people choosing to use a headphone amp as opposed to a dac?
I’ve always loved the internal dac of the Walkman. Hence my decision to get the K5
Pro which has a brilliant amp section. I only use the K5 Pro DAC function when I connect my Walkman to it via USB audio to my desktop speakers. So to answer your question, yes. For me an amp is enough for the WM1A/Z as the internal DAC is good on its own.

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #578 of 8,223

Yessss !! and definitely worth to use
These last weeks, I am trying various options .. till now a THX887 through 4.4mm was the most enjoyable combo with the hard to drive headphones like Heddphone by Hedd.
But, a direct connection of the heddphone to an old powerful speaker's amp like Sony TA-N55ES or even TA-N220 is offering astonishing good sound... very good powerful and clear bass and sub-bass are coming out from a goo amp.
So now :
at home I use the WM1A with 4.4mm output to a Monolith THX887 and XLR4 connection to the Heddphone
at office I use the WM1A with 3.5mm output to a TA-N55ES than speaker's output ro XLR4 where a Z7M2 or Heddphone can be connected

20201009_085822.jpg

On the way (Train/Plane)...I use the WM1A with IER-Z1R (probably the sound reference for everything) or I use my WM1A trough an Oriolus 300B (4.4mm In/Out portable amp) to an Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas (WM1A amp is maybe lacking some little more power with headphones for some DSD).

I often use the LDAC BT receiver on the WM1A, so I connect a Galaxy Z Fold 2 (office) or a XsMax(Home) and I can still use some GEQ/DSEEAI functions for adapting the headphones/earphones to some music. I do it mainly with Qobuz (though I can use a better PEQ with UAPPP).

So the WM1A is really versatile and comfortable. I am not using so much my R6Pro, M9, M11, M500 DAP/Dac as the WM1A is really very good in many situations with DMP-WM1 firmware.
Therefore, I am not sure Sony will produce a new version of the WM1A / WM1Z as for decades they don't do it unless there is a big step forward (like for Playstations). I think it will be difficult for them to do better DAPs than these.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #579 of 8,223
@MrWalkman I’m getting an error appear on screen on the DMP-Z1 mod of my Sony A55. The message occasionally pops up telling me “An error has occurred. Restart the player by holding down the power button for 8 seconds”. Is this a bug?

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #580 of 8,223
@MrWalkman I’m getting an error appear on screen on the DMP-Z1 mod of my Sony A55. The message occasionally pops up telling me “An error has occurred. Restart the player by holding down the power button for 8 seconds”. Is this a bug?

As mentioned in on the mod's page:
• If you'll get an error, showing the text "An error has occurred", restart the player. If the error doesn't go away, use the "Restore All Settings" option, and the error should go away.

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #581 of 8,223
This is a long shot but anyone with a wm1a live in Atlanta? I realize there would be some challenges given the pandemic but it would be awesome if I could try one out before deciding to pull the trigger since it’s so much money.

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #584 of 8,223
why dont yopu gusy team up on tuning and software delopment? it will be much easier to have just one official release that you both work on just an idea///

Firmware mods are not the same thing as tuning mods.

Oct 11, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #585 of 8,223
why dont yopu gusy team up on tuning and software delopment? it will be much easier to have just one official release that you both work on just an idea///

As I understand it one is an actually modded fw while the other is a sound tuning. Also they might not have the same goals and preferences, but I assume the tuning can be applied to the modded fw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back