Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 31, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #5,401 of 8,329
Maybe it's not a bad idea to make the v2 Plus mode the default one, and the different DAC mode too. Of course, we'd still be able to change this through the settings file.
I think that you should, specially for the new magic release.

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #5,402 of 8,329
Maybe it's not a bad idea to make the v2 Plus mode the default one, and the different DAC mode too. Of course, we'd still be able to change this through the settings file.
All I know is, given the great battery economy I've experienced, there is zero reason **for me** to use anything but Plus v2. Dawn w/ FEv2 tuning, Plus v2 & "different" DAC mode is terrific from a sonics POV. I'll give Midnight a try again sometime, but Dawn + FEv2 tuning just checks the most boxes of my preferences.

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #5,403 of 8,329
All I know is, given the great battery economy I've experienced, there is zero reason **for me** to use anything but Plus v2. Dawn w/ FEv2 tuning, Plus v2 & "different" DAC mode is terrific from a sonics POV. I'll give Midnight a try again sometime, but Dawn + FEv2 tuning just checks the most boxes of my preferences.
Agreed

Aug 31, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #5,404 of 8,329
Indeed

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #5,406 of 8,329
I’m still to try the “different” DAC mode. What exactly is the difference?
It initializes the the DAC differently and provides a much improved sound.

Once you try it you'll never go back and is the reason MrWalkman is talking about making it a default setting.

Aug 31, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #5,407 of 8,329
It initializes the the DAC differently and provides a much improved sound.

Once you try it you'll never go back and is the reason MrWalkman is talking about making it a default setting.

It should also help with the battery consumption, separately from the Plus v2 mode.

Sep 1, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #5,409 of 8,329
I've noticed one think with alternative DAC mode, the background is noisy compared to other versions. I only hear it with my sensitive earphones.
Strange, it’s the Inverse for me - do you unplug your IEMs when turning off the player?

Sep 2, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #5,411 of 8,329
MrW would not tell us how the dac modes work. We know what the hardware differences are between the 1A and 1Z; it is up to me to surmise that the 1Z has the different initialization mode. So when putting the different init mode on the 1Z is it detrimental or maybe it doesn't do anything?

I just got the 1Z and have been listening with fw 3.1 and region mx3. Once I get familiar with it I will try the excellent custom fw.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #5,412 of 8,329
it is up to me to surmise that the 1Z has the different initialization mode

Nope, both players are using the "Normal" DAC initialization mode.

The "Different" mode basically disables some kind of additional processing done to the sound. Those things are normally used by smaller players for noise cancelling, which our WM1/ZX300 players don't have.

On an unrelated note, the Midnight v2 specifically made for 1A, to further bridge the gap between 1A and 1Z (while both running Midnight) currently undergoes testing, so it shouldn't be too long before it'll be available.

I mentioned a settings reset that will be done for this specific version, but it won't be just a reset. When installing the firmware, the current device configuration will be backed up internally, and it will be restored when using the StockRevert package, so all your settings will be back to how they were before installing this.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #5,413 of 8,329
MrWalkman,
I installed the latest update and cleared the settings folder in the internal memory. But the problem with the bluetooth receiver is still not gone. Sound freezes when screen turns off

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #5,414 of 8,329
MrWalkman,
I installed the latest update and cleared the settings folder in the internal memory. But the problem with the bluetooth receiver is still not gone. Sound freezes when screen turns off

Yes, that won't go away just like that unfortunately. However, with the upcoming Midnight v2 for 1A this problem is gone.

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #5,415 of 8,329
Nope, both players are using the "Normal" DAC initialization mode.

The "Different" mode basically disables some kind of additional processing done to the sound. Those things are normally used by smaller players for noise cancelling, which our WM1/ZX300 players don't have.

If I may suggest - please make this function available for the Axx series as well. Do you need to recompile the driver module(s) or can it be done by a kernel switch?

I think the number of people using the 1 or 2 very specific earphones that actually work with this noise cancellation is minuscule. If we can improve the sound/save device memory/battery/clock cycles I'm all in for disabling useless functions - or at least having the option to disable them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back