Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Sep 2, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #5,416 of 8,329
If I may suggest - please make this function available for the Axx series as well. Do you need to recompile the driver module(s) or can it be done by a kernel switch?

I think the number of people using the 1 or 2 very specific earphones that actually work with this noise cancellation is minuscule. If we can improve the sound/save device memory/battery/clock cycles I'm all in for disabling useless functions - or at least having the option to disable them.

As the smaller players will get only the WM1A/Z-based firmware, noise cancelling features will not be available anyways, so this option will be present.

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #5,417 of 8,329
The ability to go back to the default DAC mode is still there. It's a manual change.

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #5,418 of 8,329
The ability to go back to the default DAC mode is still there. It's a manual change.

He's saying that he doesn't use NC on his A30, for example, and he would like to have the "Different DAC mode" available. He was thinking that I wouldn't make this feature available for the AXX players, as they have NC available in firmware, but mods for AXX will be based on the 1A/Z firmware which doesn't have NC available in menu anyways.

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #5,419 of 8,329
I was looking into having the FM radio option on the 1A/Z firmware for the smaller players.

While the icon shows up now, and tapping on it works, and tries to get us into the FM screen, there is no actual support in the 1A/Z firmware for this function, so, unfortunately, it doesn't work.

1630617634715.png
1630617660158.png

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #5,421 of 8,329
Doing some quick work for A50 (this will help with the A40/A30 releases as well).

For ZX300 and the A players I will release only Midnight v2 for now. First, I want to investigate a potential way of improving the sound quality of Dawn for any non-1Z devices, and then I'll also release this for these players. This means that yes, I'm using the same approach for Midnight v2 for A50 as with Midnight v2 for WM1A, to maximize sound quality.

All seems fine with the Midnight v2 for WM1A, and it should be released very soon. I was honestly listening to something today (from Youtube, via the BT Receiver/LDAC) and I had tears coming up with the Z7M2 via the balanced port.

I know it may sound like a bit too much, but it's just what happened :)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #5,422 of 8,329
Doing some quick work for A50 (this will help with the A40/A30 releases as well).

For ZX300 and the A players I will release only Midnight v2 for now. First, I want to investigate a potential way of improving the sound quality of Dawn for any non-1Z devices, and then I'll also release this for these players. This means that yes, I'm using the same approach for Midnight v2 for A50 as with Midnight v2 for WM1A, to maximize sound quality.

All seems fine with the Midnight v2 for WM1A, and it should be released very soon. I was honestly listening to something today (from Youtube, via the BT Receiver/LDAC) and I had tears coming up with the Z7M2 via the balanced port.

I know it may sound like a bit too much, but it's just what happened :)
When I got my TA-ZH1ES it stole the focus from my 1A as it has something special going on with the staging that sounds so good with my IER-Z1R. Already these recent firmwares, combined with choice of region have shifted that enjoyment and listening time back to my 1A. The bonus of being able to tweak the sound gives it an edge over the TA amp, changing back to E gave me a deep bass I didn't realise was possible after making a hasty initial switch to J - combined with the firmwares it is hitting the spot oh so nicely.

Sep 2, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #5,423 of 8,329
A50 seems to work fine, together with the NFC function this time, which wasn't working on the A50R old firmware (based on the ZX300)!

1630630659063.png

There are still some things which need to be finished first, but this should also come soon.

I think it sounds epic! It's the WM1 firmware, of course.

Edit: I'm basically just wondering how can this little player slam so hard in my Z7M2, Jesus!

When I got my TA-ZH1ES it stole the focus from my 1A as it has something special going on with the staging that sounds so good with my IER-Z1R. Already these recent firmwares, combined with choice of region have shifted that enjoyment and listening time back to my 1A. The bonus of being able to tweak the sound gives it an edge over the TA amp, changing back to E gave me a deep bass I didn't realise was possible after making a hasty initial switch to J - combined with the firmwares it is hitting the spot oh so nicely.

I'm curious what you'll think of the upcoming Midnight!

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #5,424 of 8,329
Looks like the time is near. And the more i see it just makes the anticipation rise.
Its like the same feelings i had when i first found out there was even custom FW and heard the difference.

I assume this will be just like A50R but far more options and potentially stabler?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #5,425 of 8,329
Looks like the time is near. And the more i see it just makes the anticipation rise.

I assume this will be just like A50R but far more options and potentially stabler?

Yes, like A50R, but with the settings system from the WM1 players, the WM1 firmware which produces (a lot) better sound quality, NFC works, and there should be no "An error has occurred" messages, as well as no boot loops when using StockRevert on A56/A57 (the 32/64GB variants).

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #5,426 of 8,329
A50 seems to work fine, together with the NFC function this time, which wasn't working on the A50R old firmware (based on the ZX300)!

There are still some things which need to be finished first, but this should also come soon.

I think it sounds epic! It's the WM1 firmware, of course.

Edit: I'm basically just wondering how can this little player slam so hard in my Z7M2, Jesus!

I'm curious what you'll think of the upcoming Midnight!
It’s those NP upgraded caps, and for mine, those Blackgate caps. Gives heavier note weight, deeper bass slams, even blacker jet backgrounds. It’s the magic sauce

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #5,427 of 8,329
It’s those NP upgraded caps, and for mine, those Blackgate caps. Gives heavier note weight, deeper bass slams, even blacker jet backgrounds. It’s the magic sauce

Well, in the quote I was actually talking about the A50 :)

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #5,428 of 8,329
As per my previous post, the upcoming firmware update for the 1A simply reigns supreme. It’s the best custom firmware that I’ve ever had the pleasure to test/use. It sounds the best, it works great and now installs so easily as well. It’s a complete package. It’s ready for prime time.

As a recap, Bluetooth receiver glitching has been fixed. UI is snappier due to some tweaks in the Linux system. Thumbnails load much faster in the music lists. A plethora of features and sound customisations that you can change in a simple settings file. And most importantly, it sounds absolutely amazing.

Wait for it guys. Should be landing really soon. I couldn’t stop listening last night. It’s really that good. Oops, @MrWalkman did it again!

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #5,429 of 8,329
And the A50 also sounds amazingly good, especially in comparison to previous mods, and even more to the stock firmware. It's a surprise for me to be honest!

Still needs to be finished before being released, but most of the work is already done. This work also helps with the release for the A40/A30, as well as for the ZX300.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #5,430 of 8,329
Great to see @MrWalkman back . Now I can hope for some renewed love for the zx300

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back