Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 18, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #5,146 of 8,232
Is the V2 already out yet? I didn't see the it marked on the download site yesterday. Just said Midnight.

It's still in the testing phase, soon to come out.

I'll also release a standalone firmware to fully switch a 1A to 1Z, as the 1Z sound is also really nice, and some people might be at least curious about, or even start using it. This will be installable only on a 1A, of course.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #5,147 of 8,232
Yes I think it is final beta now
Any impressions/changes in sound? V1 Midnight sounded amazing hard to imagine improvements from there. As far as the 1A to 1Z, there's some hardware differences between the two I believe. I'm sure it doesn't impact SQ too much though.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #5,148 of 8,232
Any impressions/changes in sound? V1 Midnight sounded amazing hard to imagine improvements from there. As far as the 1A to 1Z, there's some hardware differences between the two I believe. I'm sure it doesn't impact SQ too much though.

The Midnight/Dawn v1 sounds basically the same with v2.

The thing is that with v2 we'll have another Plus mode available, plus some options to alter the sound signature.

There is also a new region available via the settings file, KR3, and the CEW2 region doesn't get a volume limit anymore, so another region to try.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #5,149 of 8,232
Thanks for clearing that up! Does changing regions alter the sound or have any benefit? One would assume that'd just be for volume capping. I'm probably assuming wrong since you've taken the time to add the ability to change it.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #5,150 of 8,232
Thanks for clearing that up! Does changing regions alter the sound or have any benefit? One would assume that'd just be for volume capping. I'm probably assuming wrong since you've taken the time to add the ability to change it.

Yes, regions have an effect on the sound signature. Try the J region maybe (for at least several minutes), and then MX3.

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #5,151 of 8,232
Changing regions does change the sound

Aug 18, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #5,152 of 8,232
Dawn and Midnight are essentially the same as they were in the previous versions apart from the new dac mode and the new plus mode, but now the FEv2 tuning is an option as an alternative to the Dawn tuning

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #5,153 of 8,232
Dawn and Midnight are essentially the same apart from the new dac mode and the new plus mode, but now the FEv2 tuning is an option as an alternative to the Dawn tuning
Actually dawn and midnight are very different. Dawn is based on dmp-z1 and was previously FEv2. Midnight is based on 1Z and was a refined version of project Z. Dawn is made for warmer sounding gear whereas midnight is for brighter sounding gear. Sort of strike a balance.

Aug 18, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #5,154 of 8,232
Actually dawn and midnight are very different. Dawn is based on dmp-z1 and was previously FEv2. Midnight is based on 1Z and was a refined version of project Z. Dawn is made for warmer sounding gear whereas midnight is for brighter sounding gear. Sort of strike a balance.
I mean they are the same as they were in the previous releases, not that Dawn and Midnight are the same

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #5,156 of 8,232
I mean they are the same as they were in the previous releases, not that Dawn and Midnight are the same
Right. In that context then they are just with new functionalities.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #5,157 of 8,232
This part makes no sense to me. Why Sony....why...
Because it seems that different geographic areas have different preferences for sound

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #5,158 of 8,232
This part makes no sense to me. Why Sony....why...
Sony is in the unique position of not only designing & selling audio equipment, Sony also produces and sells music. So I suspect this allows some crosstalk and sharing of metrics allowing Sony's engineers to fine tune the regions to the general taste of the local. There are some other aspects such as radio certification as some regions do not have the BT remote feature for the DAP's.

You should be happy as with the vast majority of players you have no options, with the Sony Linux based players the user can pick and choose the region to tailor the sound signature to their personal taste. Is also worth noting that the regions are not just simple EQ curves being far more complex.

Q-6

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #5,159 of 8,232
38C5DB79-E15C-443D-B562-1F446EC8AE82.jpeg

The new V2 Plus mode on the new Dawn with FEv2 tuning
Immediately interesting to me. How does it compare to FEv2?

Q-6

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #5,160 of 8,232

Users who are viewing this thread

Back