Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Aug 18, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #5,176 of 8,232
I was thinking that someone knowledgeable and willing enough could create an Android app version of this remote. That would be nice.
Would be quite useful. Having to jumble around an extra device to change/play music in exchange for sound quality is pretty annoying at times and I have the A55 which is thin compared to the monster the 1A/1Z is.

But to be able to control it all from one device would really simplify things. May even let people secure their Walkman somewhere and just be on their way not having to mess with it just to change tracks while keeping the great sound quality and perhaps much more protected from damage. It would become as portable as it gets.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #5,178 of 8,232
Some great points! Thank you! Do you have any suggestions for a good Bluetooth remote for the WM1A?
I have Sony's own RMT-NWS20 Remote Control, believe that others will work with the WM1A/Z

Q-6

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #5,179 of 8,232
I have Sony's own RMT-NWS20 Remote Control, believe that others will work with the WM1A/Z

Q-6
I just tried with my FiiO remote but my WM1A won't recognise it, unless it will only pair with one remote at a time? I'm sure from following various Walkman threads that no one has found an alternative to the RMT-NWS20?

Aug 19, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #5,180 of 8,232
You should be happy as with the vast majority of players you have no options, with the Sony Linux based players the user can pick and choose the region to tailor the sound signature to their personal taste. Is also worth noting that the regions are not just simple EQ curves being far more complex.

Q-6

Are we sure they are Linux based and not a Sony proprietary OS?

Because if the underlying OS is really Linux, the source code should be available from Sony (due to the OSS licences) - they might not be offering it proactively, but upon request they should release it.

And once the source code is in hand, the sky's the limit in terms of optimizing, tweaking and tuning.

Aug 19, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #5,181 of 8,232
Are we sure they are Linux based and not a Sony proprietary OS?

Because if the underlying OS is really Linux, the source code should be available from Sony (due to the OSS licences) - they might not be offering it proactively, but upon request they should release it.

And once the source code is in hand, the sky's the limit in terms of optimizing, tweaking and tuning.

It's indeed Linux, and partial source code is available, but the source code for the player app, proprietary libraries, plus some SoC-Mediatek-proprietary-related code is not available, so it doesn't help.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #5,183 of 8,232
It's indeed Linux, and partial source code is available, but the source code for the player app, proprietary libraries, plus some SoC-Mediatek-proprietary-related code is not available, so it doesn't help.
Thanks for confirming.

I could still very well imagine that a big amount of kernel and (OSS) library tweaking could be done to increase performance and/or battery life, etc without touching the closed source components.

Just thinking aloud while I am looking at the amount of tweaks applied to the ibasso android/linux players…

Anyway looking forward to anything new you can bring to the A50 series :)

Aug 20, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #5,184 of 8,232
There is also a new region available via the settings file, KR3, and the CEW2 region doesn't get a volume limit anymore, so another region to try.
Oh, (maybe another point of me not RTFM!), I’ll be able to try CEW2 as my own firmware location without volume limit? Nice!! I’ll try that later (hopefully as once upon a time Sony created QS level components for the U.K. market, it’ll be even more up my street!!)

Aug 20, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #5,185 of 8,232
Oh, (maybe another point of me not RTFM!), I’ll be able to try CEW2 as my own firmware location without volume limit? Nice!! I’ll try that later (hopefully as once upon a time Sony created QS level components for the U.K. market, it’ll be even more up my street!!)
I urge you and everyone else to try MX3 region. I’ve always thought it’s the best but never used it due to the fact that it doesn’t support the remote, well now the remote is supported in all regions and I’m a happy camper. MX3 is just so alive and it feels like all frequencies are done perfectly. Nothing is in your face or too much or too little. Nothing is dialled back or dialled forward. Just right. Try it. @MrWalkman hit the home run, yet again.

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #5,187 of 8,232
Aug 20, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #5,188 of 8,232
I’ll be able to try CEW2 as my own firmware location without volume limit? Nice!! I’ll try that later (hopefully as once upon a time Sony created QS level components for the U.K. market, it’ll be even more up my street!!)

Exactly, you can try CEW2 without the volume limit.

Is the FW mod released?

Soon, I have to do one more little change to make it work 100%, and that's kinda it.

Looking for the old stock FW? I'll take 3.1 if that is the only one floating around.

https://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/WM1/NW-WM1_V3_01.exe
https://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/WM1/NW-WM1_V3_00.exe
https://walkman.update.sony.net/fw/pc/WM1/NW-WM1_V2_00.exe

This is why you are the man! Your work is incredible and led me to forsake all other DAP's because of your wonderfully crafted FW's. I did have the A&K Alpha and the A&K SE180 with both DAC Modules. After trying the Sony 1A and your FW's those Daps where gone in an instance. I am a purist at heart and I have a calibrated Sony A90J and am not one of those people that run their TV in torch mode or change their settings per movie/show.

I just wonder what creative choices you made and why. I wonder what exactly you did and get a little weirded out when I know their is extra reverb and the soundstage is artificially enhanced. That being said, they do sound amazing but some people like me are little too anal and too many choices in FW's and DAP's is not great for my mental or my pockets. At least your FW's are free and saved me from the DAP rabbit hole. You are a pillar of of this community and we are lucky to have you.

I won't get into details about it, but most of the sound signature is produced in software, and while that might sound bad for some people, I think it's great! First, it allows the existence of these mods, plus having a 1A sound like a 1Z (minus the different capacitors/resistors), and then you can get amazed at the capability of Sony engineers to make something like this.

I was working on making the WM1A/Z player app fit on the smaller screen of ZX300 and AXX players. Though I'm not sure I can do it, it would really be something, as we can have the same sound being reproduced almost like in a 1A/Z (due to less capable hardware). Otherwise, if I can't make it work, it would still be nice to have this in a ZX300 at least, if people can live with certain UI elements not fitting correctly on the screen.

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #5,189 of 8,232
I only recently discovered the all in one region changer and im literally speechless with the pairing midnight (plus) on U2. It is so realistic! I initially wanted to sell off my 1a in favor for a dap with more power but this... this changed it for me no more upgrading for an sp1000, for the amount im saving by sticking with the 1a this is more than enough of a trade off. The way it presents music is so deep.

Iem used: UM 3DD-Ti stock cable with spinfits.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #5,190 of 8,232
I only recently discovered the all in one region changer and im literally speechless with the pairing midnight (plus) on U2. It is so realistic! I initially wanted to sell off my 1a in favor for a dap with more power but this... this changed it for me no more upgrading for an sp1000, for the amount im saving by sticking with the 1a this is more than enough of a trade off. The way it presents music is so deep.

Iem used: UM 3DD-Ti stock cable with spinfits.
Wait till you hear Plus v2 :gs1000smile:. It's a game changer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back