Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
May 1, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #4,576 of 8,232
You are absolutely right on all accounts. You need to be in 3.02 to go to the aftermarket firmware. And yes, 1.00 is the warmest. You maybe should get to know your player before the new aftermarket firmware. Enjoy! Don’t forget to try a region change, it is a super big deal.

Sony never says that they change the sound. Lol
What is different when you change your region to J region?

May 1, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #4,577 of 8,232
Try it, you can always change back. I swap between J and E. J is probably overall more even and safe while E is more exiting but also more unforgiving towards poorer recordings. And yes each new stock fw made changes to the sound. By all means do the full burn in and get used to the stock fw and then play with the custom fw

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #4,578 of 8,232
J is always known to be the smoothest all round region for sonic quality and with the best timbre. All the custom firmwares are also tuned with the J region as well. Many have used other regions like E, CA, etc with different results that suits different gears. Best to try it out yourself. If you want be safe, stick with your built in region and only if you want to explore further try changing your region.

May 2, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #4,579 of 8,232
I still prefer WM1A, tewted ibasso DX300, i wasnt impressed by the sound quality of dx300, too warm and laid back with treble rolled off, if tou say wm1z is too warm... this one is king of it

May 3, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #4,580 of 8,232
Hmmmm, switched from stock Region (E) to J earlier tonight, running Midnight (Classic) CFW.....and I actually think I prefer J. This kinda surprises me based on how I've seen J described; figured E would be the region for me.

Not sure if we'll be getting any more CFW updates from MrWalkman (his absence in the forum is very noticeable; he was so helpful in ways beyond his excellent CFW work), but even if that's so, he's done so much to make the WM1x players so dang viable, especially for someone like me who isn't interested in streaming and doesn't want to buy another Android DAP anytime soon. I hope he is well.

May 3, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #4,581 of 8,232
Hmmmm, switched from stock Region (E) to J earlier tonight, running Midnight (Classic) CFW.....and I actually think I prefer J. This kinda surprises me based on how I've seen J described; figured E would be the region for me.

Not sure if we'll be getting any more CFW updates from MrWalkman (his absence in the forum is very noticeable; he was so helpful in ways beyond his excellent CFW work), but even if that's so, he's done so much to make the WM1x players so dang viable, especially for someone like me who isn't interested in streaming and doesn't want to buy another Android DAP anytime soon. I hope he is well.
I found J to be great also but moved to Midnight Plus after a few days. I’m really surprised how well Midnight Plus goes with my collection of IEMs.

It will be amazing too if your player matures with burn-in. So depending on your burn-in status, the party is not over yet!

May 3, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #4,582 of 8,232
I found J to be great also but moved to Midnight Plus after a few days. I’m really surprised how well Midnight Plus goes with my collection of IEMs.

It will be amazing too if your player matures with burn-in. So depending on your burn-in status, the party is not over yet!
Yeah, not even to 90 hours total (4.4mm out; literally only 2 hours on 3.5mm out) on my WM1A...I know, I know, it is recommended to use stock for a while, but I was missing album art for at least 1/3 of my music and it was bugging the **** out of me. Moving to CFW simply to fix that was worth it, LOL

May 3, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #4,583 of 8,232
I need to also test battery life differences between Classic & Plus modes; I recall reading upthread that it isn't a significant difference, but I'm not so sure; need more use to test it out for sure though.

May 3, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #4,584 of 8,232
Yeah, not even to 90 hours total (4.4mm out; literally only 2 hours on 3.5mm out) on my WM1A...I know, I know, it is recommended to use stock for a while, but I was missing album art for at least 1/3 of my music and it was bugging the **** out of me. Moving to CFW simply to fix that was worth it, LOL
No, it sounds like you know what 3.5mm is. There may be a point with a few IEMs where the laidback performance of 3.5mm makes them better, but there are only few. If you like the sound of 4.4mm stick with it. No reason to use 3.5mm any more. I understand that you don’t know what burned in really sound like as 200 hours is typically burn in. But you already have a good idea what that is, there is no harm finding better performance in Midnight/4.4mm.

You will eventually try the stock (if you want) after everything is fully burned in. It will continue to improve over time. I have 1600 hours on my 1A and 1580 hours on my 1Z, and they continue to actually improve. The lion’s share of the improvement was under 400 hours.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #4,585 of 8,232
I need to also test battery life differences between Classic & Plus modes; I recall reading upthread that it isn't a significant difference, but I'm not so sure; need more use to test it out for sure though.
The plus mode consumes 20-25% more battery

May 3, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #4,586 of 8,232
May 3, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #4,587 of 8,232
The plus mode consumes 20-25% more battery
Yeah about 20% more for me but it's well worth the trade off. I listen a couple of hours a day and charge the Walkman once a week when it's still on its last bar. No issues for me.

May 3, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #4,588 of 8,232
Yeah about 20% more for me but it's well worth the trade off. I listen a couple of hours a day and charge the Walkman once a week when it's still on its last bar. No issues for me.
No problem for me either. I listen 3-5 hours each evening but with the Nayparm upgraded battery I still only have to charge once a week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back