Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 25, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #4,561 of 8,231
Glad you sorted it out. Rule of thumb is always run the stock revert of the corresponding firmware before installing a new custom firmware. Always.
Thanks :) Yes, this is my first time trying my hands on installing FW mods hence was a bit confused, but I later realized it's pretty straight forward and simple. All good now. Dawn is Lit :D

Apr 27, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4,562 of 8,231
Hello, nice to meet you all. I'm a newbie in this forums always be a listener and just read the review here. By the way, what is your recommendation Mr. Walkman, my firmware of NW-WM1Z still very old the first one 1.00 should I upgrade to Dawn or Midnight?. Mainly I use MDR-EX1000, and Ocharaku Flat-4 KURO/ use in phone with xba-1vp, WFSP800N, Intime Sora brass gold and midnight, mh750; earbuds with Heavenly Sounds Yuin Model 2018, Aidex ADX-SII-10001. Thanks

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #4,563 of 8,231
Hello, nice to meet you all. I'm a newbie in this forums always be a listener and just read the review here. By the way, what is your recommendation Mr. Walkman, my firmware of NW-WM1Z still very old the first one 1.00 should I upgrade to Dawn or Midnight?. Mainly I use MDR-EX1000, and Ocharaku Flat-4 KURO/ use in phone with xba-1vp, WFSP800N, Intime Sora brass gold and midnight, mh750; earbuds with Heavenly Sounds Yuin Model 2018, Aidex ADX-SII-10001. Thanks

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

You would maybe find “J” region nice with the region change device then Dawn or Midnight would be a try, I use Midnight Plus which is also included with Midnight. For Midnight Plus you would simply keep the hold button up when turning on the player.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #4,564 of 8,231
Hello, it comes down to what kind of sound you like and also synergy of iems with different hardware/firmwares so you will be best to experiment to find what sounds good with your iems.
When I had warm bass heavy iems I favoured Dawn but when I got my IER-Z1R I preferred Midnight Plus which seemed a bit smoother. I have heard the EX1000 can have hot treble so you could try Midnight (Plus).
As Redcarmoose said, you can also try another region to help find the sound you like. There have been other features added since 1.0 which may be of benefit to you.
Enjoy

Apr 28, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #4,565 of 8,231
You should try the current stock FW 3.02 to get an idea of what current stock FW sounds like.
Then try the Custom FW. The reasoning is that you will not know what you prefer, until you try them. You might like the stock more than the Custom. Or the Custom more than the stock. Or prefer different FW with different DAP/IEM/Music.

There is really only one way to know what will sound good to you, for your combination of DAP/IEM/Ears-brain, musical preference / what you listen for.
Different people listen to/for different things. Some for definition and clarity, bass impact, etc. Some mainly to electronic/trance. Some mainly to acoustic instruments. Some to how a classical music orchestra comes together, or a small jazz quartet. Some look for how a singer's voice has detail, and emotion. Some (me) for how music is immersive, emotional.

Given the wide variance of equipment, musical tastes, and musical focus, each person really needs to try for themselves. Or give a detailed description to try to find people with similar tastes and equipment. But in the end, as it is impossible to take into account everything, and a little difference can make an observation meaningless, trying for yourself is the only way.

i.e. I could tell you that Durian fruit is the nectar of the Gods. But when you try it, you may totally agree, or massively disagree. Personally, my wife loves it, and I object to even the faint smell of it in the house, even after many hours to dissipate.

And as firmware can be changed quickly, and reversed quickly, there is no risk, and it does not take much effort to try different firmwares.
Edit: Region changes are also simple, and quick to do. And reversible

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #4,566 of 8,231
I would like that our walkmans displayed battery level as percentage, like the DMP-Z1
42FBD046-AFFA-4480-A4B9-62205E9709EE.jpeg

Attachments

• EA035ECB-5ABF-49F5-B8BC-4B10E22BAB3E.jpeg
    EA035ECB-5ABF-49F5-B8BC-4B10E22BAB3E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 29, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #4,568 of 8,231
Apr 29, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #4,570 of 8,231
Apr 30, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #4,571 of 8,231
I have the zx300-A++ mrwalkman firmware installed, but I don't have the stock revert file anymore (old computer died). How do I revert the firmware? Thanks!
I checked what I have filed, and there is no revert file. The revert addition was introduced by @MrWalkman around Sept 2020. The ZX300(A)+ was end of July 2020, and does not use a revert file. Just treat it like a stock FW, and install over it. Here is a post explaining that:

*************************************************************************************************************
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:00 PM

New

Post #11,426 of 11,431

MrWalkman

100+ Head-Fier

Jun 9, 2020​

186​

1,487​

If you want to post this on other forums, it would be nice to provide a link to this post, and not
a direct Google Drive link, where possible. Thanks!

Hello,

Some of you probably heard about the new modded firmware for the NW-WM1 Series (link). The same
mod was also done for the ZX300/A, though it's based on the sound of the ZX300/A, so it will not sound
exactly the same as the mod for the NW-WM1 Series.

I'll call it simply...

ZX300+

Features:
- improvements to the sound (it also depends on your preferences, of course)
- DSEE HX AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- improved battery life
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI (faster menus)

How to: Just install the firmware, like any other official firmware version.

- How do I return back to the stock firmware, if I want to?
If you'd like to return back to stock, just install any stock firmware version (for example 2.01, 2.02, etc.).

- Do I need to have 2.02 preinstalled, or any other version?
No, you do not. Just go ahead and install this one.

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #4,572 of 8,231
I checked what I have filed, and there is no revert file. The revert addition was introduced by @MrWalkman around Sept 2020. The ZX300(A)+ was end of July 2020, and does not use a revert file. Just treat it like a stock FW, and install over it. Here is a post explaining that:

*************************************************************************************************************
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:00 PM

New

Post #11,426 of 11,431

MrWalkman

100+ Head-Fier

Jun 9, 2020​

186​

1,487​

If you want to post this on other forums, it would be nice to provide a link to this post, and not
a direct Google Drive link, where possible. Thanks!

Hello,

Some of you probably heard about the new modded firmware for the NW-WM1 Series (link). The same
mod was also done for the ZX300/A, though it's based on the sound of the ZX300/A, so it will not sound
exactly the same as the mod for the NW-WM1 Series.

I'll call it simply...

ZX300+

Features:
- improvements to the sound (it also depends on your preferences, of course)
- DSEE HX AI (present on DMP-Z1)
- improved battery life
- hardware accelerated rendition of the UI (faster menus)

How to: Just install the firmware, like any other official firmware version.

- How do I return back to the stock firmware, if I want to?
If you'd like to return back to stock, just install any stock firmware version (for example 2.01, 2.02, etc.).

- Do I need to have 2.02 preinstalled, or any other version?
No, you do not. Just go ahead and install this one.

thanks! So just to be clear, I can just install project zero on it as if the stock firmware is currently installed?

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #4,573 of 8,231
thanks! So just to be clear, I can just install project zero on it as if the stock firmware is currently installed?
No. It’s advisable to install stock firmware from Sony first before moving on to another custom firmware since there is no stock revert program for this firmware. So install stock firmware from Sony first and then you’re free to install any other custom firmware you like.

May 1, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #4,574 of 8,231
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

You would maybe find “J” region nice with the region change device then Dawn or Midnight would be a try, I use Midnight Plus which is also included with Midnight. For Midnight Plus you would simply keep the hold button up when turning on the player.
Like I said before I just use sony with the oldest firmware 1.00, but yesterday I just update to official firmware 3.02, because I read from the older post you need to update to the latest firmware and do change region like to J region / Japan and you can install the mods is that right?

My code in the box is E, from Singapore. What are the differences in the sound when I change region to J/Japan?

The 3.02 fix issue like this one from sony website
  • Corrects an issue where a time error is displayed while playing some MP3 content
  • Improves the operability when sorting the Bookmark List
  • The USB-DAC function has been added
  • The Bluetooth Receiver function has been added
  • A Vinyl Processor option has been added to the Sound Quality settings
  • A Digital Peak Meter has been added to the layout options on the Playback screen
  • A function for manually adding cover art images to albums has been added
  • aptX, "aptX HD" Bluetooth codec added
  • APE and MQA music formats added
  • Shuffle and repeat settings made available from the playback screen
  • Auto power off function added to prolong battery life
  • Methods of displaying song information increased
  • Other functions improved
  • Improved the response when the touch panel is pressed or scrolled
  • Addressed issues where the sound was skipping or cutting out under certain conditions
  • Addresses a rare issue where characters may become corrupted when Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese contents are displayed
  • Addressed the issue where characters in the WALKMAN display appear corrupted when Thai appears in the song titles, etc.
  • Addressed other issues
But they not said the sound is different? I think the 1.00 one is warmer than 3.02, and in 3.0 is brighter and has more resolution and depth in an overall sound signature, maybe I'm wrong because the playtime is under 200 hours. I think I need to burn first to 200 hours of my playtime just like this before installing some mods.

Attachments

• firmware 1.00.jpeg
    firmware 1.00.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
  • firmware 3.02.jpeg
    firmware 3.02.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 0
  • box.jpeg
    box.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #4,575 of 8,231
You are absolutely right on all accounts. You need to be in 3.02 to go to the aftermarket firmware. And yes, 1.00 is the warmest. You maybe should get to know your player before the new aftermarket firmware. Enjoy! Don’t forget to try a region change, it is a super big deal.

Sony never says that they change the sound. Lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back