Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Apr 24, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #4,531 of 8,232
Still can't figure out the region checking/changing stuff (Mac user running a VM of Windows); but not a big deal at all for me as stock region (pretty sure it's E) gives me all the features I want and I don't notice any sonic shortcomings thus far.
It's easy enough. Download ROCKBOX and in the VM open a terminal window and navigate to its directory. Type:

Code:
scsitool-nwz-v27.exe [drive name for your Walkman drive] dest-tool set [region you want] off (if you want to uncap)

And to check:
Code:
scsitool-nwz-v27.exe [drive name for your Walkman drive] dest-tool get

If you've been able to flash the FW, you can do this, too.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #4,532 of 8,232
First time I've heard of Region U being mentioned. Might have to check it out.
Considering most of my songs are not of the best quality.

My current setup is all to get me by until I can invest in higher quality equipment and actually get me some good FLACs and other Hi-Res audio files.

Its a good year or two before I can start doing that though.
Best bet is to try and see, although U can be somewhat unforgiving of poorly recorded material.

Q-6

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #4,533 of 8,232
Yep, I had a Windows explorer window open for the folder holding the scsitool......exe, did a File>Open windows power shell as admin, copy and pasted the command, verifying, more than 5 times, the correct .exe file name & Walkman drive (in my case, E:). Can't remember exact error, and I have totally lost interest in this, so not gonna try to recreate it again, hahaha, but again, something about invalid command in red letters.

I am far from an IT guy, but am no moron; I know how to copy & paste code, hahaha.
You are not alone.

Minutes ago, I downloaded scsitool-nwz-v27.exe; then turned off the Windows Defender, Run as Administrator to execute the command. The screen was just flashing & nothing happened then.

I appreciate if anyone of you can help me out.

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #4,534 of 8,232
You are not alone.

Minutes ago, I downloaded scsitool-nwz-v27.exe; then turned off the Windows Defender, Run as Administrator to execute the command. The screen was just flashing & nothing happened then.

I appreciate if anyone of you can help me out.
Download this .bat file and place it in the same directory as the tool .exe file

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnepTAFDGxANhaglf4TML4ceclQgYA

F2228BC7-0B1F-437E-A662-F2FB20EEFED5.jpeg

The file contains these lines. Edit it and change V: to whatever drive letter the players internal memory has been given on your computer and change the E to whatever region you want. Also make sure the name of the tool in the .bat file is the same as the name of the .exe file you have downloaded

Then double click on the .bat file in Explorer to run it.

The first line shows the current state of the player, the second line changes region and the third line (identical to the first line) shows the state after the change.

After running it restart your player, no need to reset to factory

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #4,536 of 8,232
nc8000,

Your .bat file works like a charm. You made my day. Cheers and Have a good weekend.
After running it restart your player, no need to reset to factory

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #4,538 of 8,232
Oh, I have already reset the setting. Should I reset the region again?
No. The rockbox page say you have to reset the settings after running the tool, but just restarting the player is enough

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #4,539 of 8,232
I find funny people who have all their music as mp3/AAC/MPC/Ogg and say theres no real value added to flac. According to them x lossy format can be transparent at any given bitrate. Yet they acream that the latest starwars film muat be in 8K UHD for best quality.. lol why not also say pur eyes can’t distinguish a lowly DVD 720x 640 vs a UHD film

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #4,540 of 8,232
I find funny people who have all their music as mp3/AAC/MPC/Ogg and say theres no real value added to flac. According to them x lossy format can be transparent at any given bitrate. Yet they acream that the latest starwars film muat be in 8K UHD for best quality.. lol why not also say pur eyes can’t distinguish a lowly DVD 720x 640 vs a UHD film
Funnily enough I’m the opposite, I care a lot about sound quality but picture quality and gear interest me little and I happily still watch vhs tapes on a more than 10 year old 32” tv

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #4,541 of 8,232
Funnily enough I’m the opposite, I care a lot about sound quality but picture quality and gear interest me little and I happily still watch vhs tapes on a more than 10 year old 32” tv
Me too i care for audio quality but film and video i could care less. I dont care if it is a DVD or a divx at 2MB/s to me i see the same picture quality haha

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #4,542 of 8,232
Me too i care for audio quality but film and video i could care less. I dont care if it is a DVD or a divx at 2MB/s to me i see the same picture quality haha
Oh I can tell the difference but it does not bother me and I have no source or screen better than dvd

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #4,543 of 8,232
Oh I can tell the difference but it does not bother me and I have no source or screen better than dvd
I do distinguish differences on films too but very very rare, more on older cartoon remasters like the Simpsons older episodes i can see pixelation. But f.e on film avatar DVD vs Blu-ray i could not

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #4,544 of 8,232
Best bet is to try and see, although U can be somewhat unforgiving of poorly recorded material.

Q-6
I wouldn't say very many of my files are poorly recorded, just not of the highest kbps I have them at basically all of my new files are all 256kbps mp3s. Used to be 126 which was flat out horrible but I've managed to get me better mp3s.

So they sound half decent and the upscaling DSEE HX helps a lot of the harshness and cleaning up.

I cant wait when I can invest some in good FLACs... but mp3s are all i have for now, ill certainly give region U a try though if it helps with that.

Apr 24, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #4,545 of 8,232
I wouldn't say very many of my files are poorly recorded, just not of the highest kbps I have them at basically all of my new files are all 256kbps mp3s. Used to be 126 which was flat out horrible but I've managed to get me better mp3s.

So they sound half decent and the upscaling DSEE HX helps a lot of the harshness and cleaning up.

I cant wait when I can invest some in good FLACs... but mp3s are all i have for now, ill certainly give region U a try though if it helps with that.
I used to have mp3 192kbps for many years. Even first gen DSEE (2005) made mp3 sound great that i didn’t notice the quality loss. That changed when i got my first (and last) iPod (2009 160GB model) which of course doesn’t had DSEE. Thats when i switched to lossless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back