Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Jan 31, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #3,362 of 8,329
Mr walkman, your classic description nakes reference to the DMPz300. Not sure if it’s done on purpose or just a problem with the recycled description..

It's not on purpose.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #3,363 of 8,329
One little experiment for the A50:

A50Z

A custom firmware aimed at bringing the warm and analogue
sound signature of the WM1Z to the NW-A50Series players.

Features:
- sound signature aimed at resembling the one of the WM1Z;
- two boot modes: "Classic" and "Plus";
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported;
- the USB DAC mode visualization is now more in sync with the music.

Boot modes:
"Classic" (down Hold position at startup) - provides the normal A50Z sound signature;
"Plus" (up Hold position at startup) - adds improved rendition of this sound signature (a more accurate
and balanced sound, with better controlled bass, improved detail retrieval, better soundstage holography,
more present mids), at the expense of additional battery usage.

For download and for more info, click
here (please read all the info).

I'm curious what you guys think. If this is fine, it might come for the ZX300 too, and the A40/A30 players, as soon as time allows me.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #3,364 of 8,329
One little experiment for the A50:

A50Z

A custom firmware aimed at bringing the warm and analogue
sound signature of the WM1Z to the NW-A50Series players.

Features:
- sound signature aimed at resembling the one of the WM1Z;
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported;
- the USB DAC mode visualization is now more in sync with the music.

Boot modes:
"Classic" (down Hold position at startup) - provides the normal A50Z sound signature;
"Plus" (up Hold position at startup) - adds improved rendition of this sound signature (a more accurate
and balanced sound, with better controlled bass, improved detail retrieval, better soundstage holography,
more present mids), at the expense of additional battery usage.

For download and for more info, click here (please read all the info).

I'm curious what you guys think. If this is fine, it might come for the ZX300 too, and the A40/A30 players, as soon as time allows me.

Now I have 2 new firmwares to try on my A55 :). Which should I try first, A50FEv2 or A50Z? Haiz, the tyranny of choice.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #3,366 of 8,329
It's not on purpose.

Thanks.
Hot damn bro...you did it again. I slept on the fact that there was a new FE update til today, and it is AMAZING. Not gonna lie, unless I downloaded it wrong, I was kinda wasnt too keen the last FE mod...this V2 woke me the hell up!! This is so live sounding, immersive and holographic like you said. In two downloads, you made sure I keep my 1A for alot longer than I thought...and with all these new shiny DAPs coming onto the market right now and having a bad case of 'upgraditis' , you saw to it that I never move off this bad boy for awhile. I'm gonna hafta beer you again soon!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #3,367 of 8,329
I went from A50-FE R to A50Z. The process was simple and painless (Mac running Parallels running Win7) - just follow the instructions. I see that Mr Walkman moved away from google documents, also a good thing.

For the UI - I seem to have lost the VU meter and other on screen visualisations, but got back language study, recording and FM radio (J region). Digital out via the WM port works (tested with Fiio Q1mk2)

The dual booting is very nice and makes me wonder what are the actual differences (bit-wise) between the two (A50Z Classic and Plus) - the package size is "normal" so I would venture to say it is probably about enabling/disabling several switches (kernel parameters?) in the fw during boot time. Very cool (and unique!?) feature.

I'll need to recalibrate the battery before being able to comment on battery life.

I cannot really describe how it differs or not from other versions, currently listening to Art Blakey's (hires, remastered) Moanin' album with the A50Z Plus with Sennheiser ie800 - really, really, REALLY very good! The separation and soundstage are spot on (though the recording/mastering is also top notch, and the ie800 is TOTL -1 so it's the whole chain)

EDITED to add - I have all DSP turned off, also direct audio is off. Just plain vanilla everything

Great job - and please, please port it to the A30!!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #3,368 of 8,329
Going back from FE R and then installing FEv2 and switching back to J region and notice that I no longer have the High Gain option (plus all the other changes described above by WilcoRoger).

Is this because the FEv2 fw is based on the stock A55 fw (I thought that High Gain was available in the stock A55 fw but I actually don’t know as I’ve never ran it stock as I got my A55 when the first R fw came out and immediately installed that) ?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #3,369 of 8,329
Going back from FE R and then installing FEv2 and switching back to J region and notice that I no longer have the High Gain option (plus all the other changes described above by WilcoRoger).

I haven't noticed the lack of hi-gain, but I did notice that where before I was listening at 70/120 or so, now I'm at 80-85/120. Makes sense in light of above.

Now I'm listening to Chesky's 30th anniversary collection, really wide range of music to "test your headphones" - still happy :)

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #3,370 of 8,329
Yeah, recycling the format of the previous posts :)

As DMP-A50R FE needs some attention in regards to issues that some
users are encountering, only DMP-A50 FE (stock based) gets the "v2" update at the moment.

DMP-A50 FEv2
(an update for DMP-A50 FE)

Update (January 31st):
- the USB DAC mode visualization is now more in sync with the music;

- the Walkman logo shown at shutdown is also orange now.

Boot modes:
"Classic" - provides the normal DMP-A50 FE sound signature;
"Plus" - adds improved rendition of this sound signature (a more accurate and balanced sound, with better controlled bass,
improved detail retrieval, better soundstage holography, more present mids), at the expense of additional battery usage.

• The boot mode is selected by using the Hold button on the side of your player before
you start the player - the "down" position of the hold button is for "Classic", while the "up"
position is for "Plus" - for example leave the button in the "down" position while the player
is starting, and it will start in the "Classic" mode.

• You can check the current boot mode by going into the "Unit information" menu in Settings.

• You don't have to do anything with the Hold button while installing the firmware. Just install
the firmware and the external tuning, and after that you can use the Hold button as described above.

You can find the firmware and additional info, here (please read all the info).

As always, feedback is welcomed :)

Nice one @MrWalkman. This has certainly made me happy considering I didn’t get my WM1A with the empty box saga. :)

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #3,371 of 8,329

Is this because the FEv2 fw is based on the stock A55 fw (I thought that High Gain was available in the stock A55 fw but I actually don’t know as I’ve never ran it stock as I got my A55 when the first R fw came out and immediately installed that) ?

It is mentioned in the post:
users are encountering, only DMP-A50 FE (stock based) gets the "v2" update at the moment.

It makes sense that, given the statement above, A50Z is also stock-based.

High Gain settings are not available on smaller players.

Hot damn bro...you did it again. I slept on the fact that there was a new FE update til today, and it is AMAZING. Not gonna lie, unless I downloaded it wrong, I was kinda wasnt too keen the last FE mod...this V2 woke me the hell up!! This is so live sounding, immersive and holographic like you said. In two downloads, you made sure I keep my 1A for alot longer than I thought...and with all these new shiny DAPs coming onto the market right now and having a bad case of 'upgraditis' , you saw to it that I never move off this bad boy for awhile. I'm gonna hafta beer you again soon!

I'm glad that you like it, and I really appreciate the support! :)

Regarding A55, this is a comment on the blog:
Hi, my A55 will arrive this week so I'm very happy that someone pays so much attention also to this series.. your mods were the reason why I decided to buy new walkman when my NW-S705F started to make weird clicking playback "noise" after 13 years of heavy usage.

Nice! I'm sure that he won't regret it.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #3,372 of 8,329
It is mentioned in the post:

It makes sense that, given the statement above, A50Z is also stock-based.

High Gain settings are not available on smaller players.

I'm glad that you like it, and I really appreciate the support! :)

Regarding A55, this is a comment on the blog:

Nice! I'm sure that he won't regret it.

Sorry for asking what to you is an obvious and stupid question, I’l not bother you any more in the future when that is your attitude 😡

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #3,373 of 8,329
Sorry for asking what to you is an obvious and stupid question, I’l not bother you any more in the future when that is your attitude 😡

I'm sorry you feel this offended or something.

The text is bolded in the original post as well, and I just copied it from there - I didn't mean to sound rude.

Honestly, when I see this kind of things happening, I'm thinking it would be better for me not hanging around on forums. I'm an honest person and I'm usually just speaking my mind, which could be seen as rude.

In the end it's up to you, but there are no hard feelings here, and I still took the time to reply.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #3,374 of 8,329
@MrWalkman I currently have the DMP-A50FE firmware installed on my Sony A55. I downloaded the FEv2 firmware and the stock revert file. However, I cannot see the stock revert ext tuning file. Does it really matter installing the stoc revert ext tuning file if I’m going to update the ext tuning after installing the DMP-A50FEv2 firmware? Please advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back