Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 1, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #3,376 of 8,329
@MrWalkman I currently have the DMP-A50FE firmware installed on my Sony A55. I downloaded the FEv2 firmware and the stock revert file. However, I cannot see the stock revert ext tuning file. Does it really matter installing the stoc revert ext tuning file if I’m going to update the ext tuning after installing the DMP-A50FEv2 firmware? Please advise.

It's not necessary to apply the StockRevert ext. tuning if you're going to A50 FEv2 - in any case, you could also use the StockRevert ext. tuning of the FEv2 firmware, for example.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #3,377 of 8,329
By the way, the red button icon showing up on the A50 while on the J region, is a function which allows recording from other sources with a special cable (WMC-NWR1).

1612179489614.png

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Recording-Cable-Walkman-WMC-NWR1/dp/B000JJEAPS

From what I've read, the function was thought as a way to transfer your music from a MiniDisc player, for example, or from a CD Walkman/cassette player, etc.

I tried adding in the English translation, but I didn't succeed at the moment

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #3,378 of 8,329
I managed to get a full refund but it will take a week before it goes back into my bank account. Honestly this was a nightmare finding no WM1A in the box and it nearly gave me a panic attack. Even though I’ve got the refund I’m not a bit put off from buying from Amazon as this was my first purchase with them.
It is sad about what you had. But it is okay to buy from Amazon as it is a creditable online store. I bought a classical box set CD from Amazon a few years ago. When I received it, the box is damaged, a few CD covers are also torn. I reported the case, they told me I will get a full refund and just keep the box set if I don’t mind. 😊

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #3,379 of 8,329
Yeah, recycling the format of the previous posts :)

As DMP-A50R FE needs some attention in regards to issues that some
users are encountering, only DMP-A50 FE (stock based) gets the "v2" update at the moment.

DMP-A50 FEv2
(an update for DMP-A50 FE)

Update (January 31st):
- two boot modes: "Classic" and "Plus";
- the USB DAC mode visualization is now more in sync with the music;

- the Walkman logo shown at shutdown is also orange now.

Boot modes:
"Classic" - provides the normal DMP-A50 FE sound signature;
"Plus" - adds improved rendition of this sound signature (a more accurate and balanced sound, with better controlled bass,
improved detail retrieval, better soundstage holography, more present mids), at the expense of additional battery usage.

• The boot mode is selected by using the Hold button on the side of your player before
you start the player - the "down" position of the hold button is for "Classic", while the "up"
position is for "Plus" - for example leave the button in the "down" position while the player
is starting, and it will start in the "Classic" mode.

• You can check the current boot mode by going into the "Unit information" menu in Settings.

• You don't have to do anything with the Hold button while installing the firmware. Just install
the firmware and the external tuning, and after that you can use the Hold button as described above.

You can find the firmware and additional info, here (please read all the info).

As always, feedback is welcomed :)

Hi!

I'm interested how does the Plus mode compare to DMP-A50 FER?

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #3,380 of 8,329
Hi!

I'm interested how does the Plus mode compare to DMP-A50 FER?

If you tried A50R FE, then you can just install A50 FEv2 and see for yourself :)

Hearing is subjective in the end. I didn't really use the A50 that much, and I especially didn't switch between different firmware versions too much to be able to notice differences and give a good description.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #3,381 of 8,329
I am surprised (or have forgotten) about how much power the little A55 actually has on tap...

FWIW - the volume is about the same in the one gain setting there is available as it is on the WM1A (FEv2 Plus) at the same volume level (number) in high gain (single ended(.

Using it with the A50Z firmware variant and my old T8ie mkII IEMs I'm really impressed as to how coherent (in Plus mode) the sound actually is out of the player...

There is a certain element of airiness and treble extension missing from the A55 in comparison to the bigger brother, and the bass is boosted on the smaller sibling - however - that makes it seriously fun for trance / EDM as a genre example.

Knowing how the WM1Z sounds as stock (albeit from a comparison a couple of years back) - I can fully understand the description of the A50Z - it is definitely warmer than the WM1A, It might well be the case that if you find the WM1A too bright or lacking in bass, that the A55L with this newest iteration of firmware could be right on the money for you!

IMG_0119.jpg

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #3,382 of 8,329
Knowing how the WM1Z sounds as stock (albeit from a comparison a couple of years back) - I can fully understand the description of the A50Z - it is definitely warmer than the WM1A, It might well be the case that if you find the WM1A too bright or lacking in bass, that the A55L with this newest iteration of firmware could be right on the money for you!

I might as well just release this kind of mod for the 1A and ZX300 as well.

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #3,383 of 8,329
Is the NW-WM1A considered a bright DAP? I've found the ZX507 definitely warmer than the ZX300 and prefer as a result. With the 1A on the way, it'll be interesting to hear how it differs.

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #3,385 of 8,329
1612201069057.png
I keep getting this message even thought my a55 is plugged in. Is there any button combination to get into a "recovery mode" or something?

Hey, you just need to read the instructions:
1612201413799.png

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #3,387 of 8,329
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I see a lot of questions for MrWalkman which could all be solved by reading the whole instructions section. I assume many of us do so, and others may also have genuine problems having read the instructions, but I think it's the least we can do. MrWalkman is kindly providing this firmware for free (donations accepted), and I think it is a waste of their time to be repeatedly replying to people with similar issues, referring them to the relevant part of the instructions.

Again, I understand that sometimes people do read through the instructions but still need some help troubleshooting, and I think its great that MrWalkman is so active in helping people get the best from their Walkmans.

On another note, I am feeling spoilt for choice with all the NW-A50 firmwares MrWalkman has produced for us - excellent work!

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #3,388 of 8,329
Is the NW-WM1A considered a bright DAP? I've found the ZX507 definitely warmer than the ZX300 and prefer as a result. With the 1A on the way, it'll be interesting to hear how it differs.
WM1A isn't bright as such.It's a very clean sounding DAP,but certainly not bright or clinical.The WM1Z is much warmer.Two different flavours.Region settings make a difference,J being the choice of people who favour a smoother delivery, like me!

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #3,389 of 8,329
WM1A isn't bright as such.It's a very clean sounding DAP,but certainly not bright or clinical.The WM1Z is much warmer.Two different flavours.Region settings make a difference,J being the choice of people who favour a smoother delivery, like me!
You have conveyed it better than I could have!

I’m inclined to add that to me, the WM1A is very HiFi - it shows you everything (CD), the WM1Z, more analogue (vinyl) - very broad strokes there, but pretty much how I feel.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #3,390 of 8,329
Hmm. Makes me feel like I'm going to end up wanted the 1Z also!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back