Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #3,408 of 8,315
1612253680693.png
1612253703153.png
1612253770425.png

Waouuuu !! :pray: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: , the classic "Z" for the moment he is the one that really makes me move, it's the FEv2 classic ****..
I'll be back..
If I tell my boss I'm not going to work to try MrWalkman's new "Z", he won't understand. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #3,409 of 8,315
Good luck!
Amazon lost my first WM1A but not the second one :gs1000smile:

It looks like I wasn’t the only one with issues buying a WM1A from Amazon. With me it’s was receiving an empty box. Anyway, I checked my bank account and my refund as finally been credited.

I was thinking of buying the WM1A again with the refund but I’m a bit apprehensive now because receiving an empty box really did make me feel sick. However, since you say you had no problems getting a second one I might go ahead with the purchase.

Anyway back on topic, I am going out for a walk and trying out my Sony A55 with the new DMP-A50 FEv2 firmware and I will report back. :)

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #3,410 of 8,315
Feb 2, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #3,411 of 8,315
It looks like I wasn’t the only one with issues buying a WM1A from Amazon. With me it’s was receiving an empty box. Anyway, I checked my bank account and my refund as finally been credited.

I was thinking of buying the WM1A again with the refund but I’m a bit apprehensive now because receiving an empty box really did make me feel sick. However, since you say you had no problems getting a second one I might go ahead with the purchase.

Anyway back on topic, I am going out for a walk and trying out my Sony A55 with the new DMP-A50 FEv2 firmware and I will report back. :)
I've been buying stuff,a lot of stuff, from Amazon since 2004.Never had a problem, ever.I bought a couple of pairs of IEMs,they weren't what I expected,and returned them for a full refund.The same with an iFi xCan,three months after I bought it.I never buy anything with the intention of returning it.Sometimes things aren't as you hoped or thought they might be. I bought a WM1A just over a year ago from Amazon UK.I really liked it, but knew I wanted a 1Z. A few months ago, after perusing online sites for a while,Amazon UK were showing a 1Z at £2129,I snapped it up.The only one!
Amazon have a lot of tricks up their sleeves, dynamic pricing algorithms, etc..You have to learn to play them at their own game.That said,I don't have anything bad to say about them.I quite admire Jeff Bezos and his world domination, clever chap!

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #3,412 of 8,315
I've been buying stuff,a lot of stuff, from Amazon since 2004.Never had a problem, ever.I bought a couple of pairs of IEMs,they weren't what I expected,and returned them for a full refund.The same with an iFi xCan,three months after I bought it.I never buy anything with the intention of returning it.Sometimes things aren't as you hoped or thought they might be. I bought a WM1A just over a year ago from Amazon UK.I really liked it, but knew I wanted a 1Z. A few months ago, after perusing online sites for a while,Amazon UK were showing a 1Z at £2129,I snapped it up.The only one!
Amazon have a lot of tricks up their sleeves, dynamic pricing algorithms, etc..You have to learn to play them at their own game.That said,I don't have anything bad to say about them.I quite admire Jeff Bezos and his world domination, clever chap!

I have never used Amazon before and this is the first time I’ve used them. Its good to hear that Amazon can be trusted.

I was going to purchase another Sony WM1A from Amazon but there aren’t any in stock at the moment now which is a real kicker because while waiting for my refund there was one brand new but it’s gone now. Anyway at least I got my refund and I got to keep the empty WM1A box.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #3,413 of 8,315

Waouuuu !! :pray: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: , the classic "Z" for the moment he is the one that really makes me move, it's the FEv2 classic ****..
I'll be back..
If I tell my boss I'm not going to work to try MrWalkman's new "Z", he won't understand. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

"Project Z" is a combination between the warm and analogue sound signature of the WM1Z and
the holography, smoothness, and improved detail retrieval of the DMP-WM1 FE firmware mod.

It will also come with the two boot modes, same as the latest DMP-WM1 FEv2.

project-z.gif

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #3,414 of 8,315
I know it's so soon already, but I'm sure that at least some of you will like this :)

Meet...

Project Z

A custom firmware for the WM1A/WM1Z players, combining
sound characteristics of the WM1Z and DMP-Z1 sound signatures.

Features:
- a lushy warm, organic, analogue sound signature, with harshless highs, improved
detail retrieval, full and balanced sound, more airy vocals, and a holographic stage presentation
(especially in the Plus mode) - these are some characteristics of both the WM1Z and DMP-Z1 sound signatures;
- two boot modes: "Classic" and "Plus";
- native DSD playback over the 3.5 mm output;
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1);
- visualizations in sync with the music;
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported;
- showing a battery "charging/needs charging" image when the player cannot turn on anymore if the battery is too low.

Boot modes:
"Classic" (down Hold position at startup) - provides the normal Project Z sound signature;
"Plus" (up Hold position at startup) - adds improved rendition of this sound signature (a more accurate
and balanced sound, with better controlled bass, improved detail retrieval, better soundstage holography,
more present mids), at the expense of additional battery consumption.

• From personal experience, the best sound is achieved with the region J. However, feel free to experiment with other regions as well.
• With this firmware installed, the only difference between a WM1A and WM1Z is of about 5-10%, brought by the different hardware parts.

For download and for more info, click here (please read all the info).

Feel free to share your thoughts. This will be also released for the ZX300 and the smaller players.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #3,415 of 8,315
I have been trying the new Project Z firmware - I just had a very quick listen before hitting the hay but so far I am preferring the FE Plus being a little bit brighter although I will wait until tomorrow to have another listen. My iems are on the warmer side I might add.
It's a real treat to have a choice of firmwares to play around with and it is fantastic to have such a quick and simple process, and even better to be able to switch in-player. I have used custom android roms on my tablet and phone I use as a GPS and I frequently pull my hair out with installation complications causing bootloops etc.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #3,416 of 8,315
I have to try it :)
Maybe a great choice for brighter iems such as Zeus, Kaiser Encore... ?

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #3,417 of 8,315
I know it's so soon already, but I'm sure that at least some of you will like this :)

Meet...

Project Z

Your (boundless) creative energy for this project is evident given how far things have come along since the beginning. Will be giving Plus mode a run today. Install went smooth and now on to the listening enjoyment.

thank you once again for taking this to ever higher levels

Feb 2, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #3,418 of 8,315
Your (boundless) creative energy for this project is evident given how far things have come along since the beginning. Will be giving Plus mode a run today. Install went smooth and now on to the listening enjoyment.

thank you once again for taking this to ever higher levels

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm curious what you think :)

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #3,419 of 8,315
I'm not sure if I ever posted about this, but I probably did on another forum. A55's USB DAC doesn't apply a stronger and more obvious effect when DSEE HX is on, compared to listening to a file in the internal storage. USB DAC latency doesn't allow full application of DSEE.

I think that the non-R firmwares are not so off-putting, since I stopped using visualisations (wastes battery maybe even if screen is off?), stopped using individual vinyl proc settings - 'standard or nothing' seems simpler, and grew used to DC Phase B Stdrd - so subtle a difference compared to A Stdrd. Yet, until yesterday I preferred to stay on A50R. Today I'm jumping ship to A50Z.

Although I consider myself a beginner and amateur at mastering audio, I will still write here that up till now, switching firmwares was always for the extra functions, and the firmware sound differences were so difficult to tell. I would be interested to know whether any walkman fanatic here has multiple A55s, each with a diff. firmware to A/B test. I myself attempted to get many A55s but lost interest before getting to that point - after all, rather than rely on consumer grade tech to manipulate sound, isn't using 'mastering tools' like those in Audacity a surer way to get the sound you want? I thought about this for some time, and later decided that consumer grade tech is the way to listen to music that has already been mastered properly. Stuff like DSEE which Tokyo studio engineers evaluated and felt that it comes close enough to hires really doesn't exist anyplace else, and the subtleness can really take you aback when toggling on/off. Studios with expensive equipment and speaker setups can probably be replaced/replicated by walkmans with good headphones. And yet, even after such great firmwares got me into the walkman world, I still left this world after reminding myself that: headphone listening cannot be prolonged due to the effect it has on hearing, mastering audio is more fun and full of way more possibility, and pro audio speaker setups sound way more engaging, real, powerful bass etc, with the added bonus of longer listening sessions.

So by continuing updates beyond 'FE', fans like me are coming back into the walkman world. And I anticipate that I will never tire of comparing firmwares.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #3,420 of 8,315

Meet...

Project Z

A custom firmware for the WM1A/WM1Z players, combining
sound characteristics of the WM1Z and DMP-Z1 sound signatures.

Features:
- a lushy warm, organic, analogue sound signature, with harshless highs, improved
detail retrieval, full and balanced sound, more airy vocals, and a holographic stage presentation
(especially in the Plus mode) - these are some characteristics of both the WM1Z and DMP-Z1 sound signatures;
- two boot modes: "Classic" and "Plus";
- native DSD playback over the 3.5 mm output;
- DSEE AI (present on DMP-Z1);
- visualizations in sync with the music;
- progressive JPEG and interlaced PNG album covers are supported;
- showing a battery "charging/needs charging" image when the player cannot turn on anymore if the battery is too low.

Boot modes:
"Classic" (down Hold position at startup) - provides the normal Project Z sound signature;
"Plus" (up Hold position at startup) - adds improved rendition of this sound signature (a more accurate
and balanced sound, with better controlled bass, improved detail retrieval, better soundstage holography,
more present mids), at the expense of additional battery consumption.

• From personal experience, the best sound is achieved with the region J. However, feel free to experiment with other regions as well.
• With this firmware installed, the only difference between a WM1A and WM1Z is of about 5-10%, brought by the different hardware parts.

For download and for more info, click here (please read all the info).

Feel free to share your thoughts. This will be also released for the ZX300 and the smaller players.

Super excited! Thank you so much for your hard work and the sweet sweet experiences you keep bringing us!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back