Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Feb 2, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #3,436 of 8,315
Wow! Using the FEv2(Plus) on my WM-1Z, with the equalizer, and about 60% high res. Beautiful sound, no complaints at all............ My super Sony 18+ hour battery, from 98% battery saver charge to shut down: 9.06 hours :astonished:.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #3,437 of 8,315
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I see a lot of questions for MrWalkman which could all be solved by reading the whole instructions section. I assume many of us do so, and others may also have genuine problems having read the instructions, but I think it's the least we can do. MrWalkman is kindly providing this firmware for free (donations accepted), and I think it is a waste of their time to be repeatedly replying to people with similar issues, referring them to the relevant part of the instructions.

Again, I understand that sometimes people do read through the instructions but still need some help troubleshooting, and I think its great that MrWalkman is so active in helping people get the best from their Walkmans.

On another note, I am feeling spoilt for choice with all the NW-A50 firmwares MrWalkman has produced for us - excellent work!
Yes, though I understand what you are saying...I think there needs to be a primer on how to download the software updates. On one hand, many think that when a update appears, that you download the update file and the new tuning file. The trouble begins for many that they dont realize you also need to make use of the revert stock file first BEFORE you download any new updates.

It tricks alot of people because the process seems to counter (in doing stock revert) to what youre trying to do (which is download the new updates and tunings). For many think 'stock revert' as reverting to the base (or stock) software, opposed to a file that takes you to the 'stock version' of the last update you downloaded (which allows you to download the new update files and avoid the 'plug into USB' warning box).

For many, this is the tricky part of all this. But once you get it, you get it. I guess its the learning curve for alot of people. As a teacher, I get the confusion

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #3,438 of 8,315
Yes, though I understand what you are saying...I think there needs to be a primer on how to download the software updates. On one hand, many think that when a update appears, that you download the update file and the new tuning file. The trouble begins for many that they dont realize you also need to make use of the revert stock file first BEFORE you download any new updates.

It tricks alot of people because the process seems to counter (in doing stock revert) to what youre trying to do (which is download the new updates and tunings). For many think 'stock revert' as reverting to the base (or stock) software, opposed to a file that takes you to the 'stock version' of the last update you downloaded (which allows you to download the new update files and avoid the 'plug into USB' warning box).

For many, this is the tricky part of all this. But once you get it, you get it. I guess its the learning curve for alot of people. As a teacher, I get the confusion
No primer needed, the process to update and revert is clearly documented on the download site and included with each Zip file.

If people don't read the instructions, in the first place then all the primers in the world won't help.

Q-6

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #3,439 of 8,315
Wow! Using the FEv2(Plus) on my WM-1Z, with the equalizer, and about 60% high res. Beautiful sound, no complaints at all............ My super Sony 18+ hour battery, from 98% battery saver charge to shut down: 9.06 hours :astonished:.

Got a bit over 20 hours of battery while playing in the Plus mode, with minimal screen usage and Battery Care setting off.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #3,440 of 8,315
@MrWalkman, do your firmware and external tuning packs need to be re-installed after "Reset All Settings" or "Restore to Factory Configuration"? I am concerned that if the external tuning is something like a file that sits on the walkman storage, that something like a factory reset would undo it. Does changing destination with nwdestool require re-

Hey, you don't need to reset the settings after changing the region. You only need to restart the player.

And in the end, no, you don't need to reinstall anything firmware related.

Just curious, how many FW do the WM1 has? I think maybe around 15? Counting the season, the planets, and the short lived greek themed FW's.

Planets/seasons/what was before are tuning mods, and not actual modified firmware. The changes brought by modified firmware are more significant than those brought by tuning mods, in my opinion.

So when it comes to firmware, WM1 players currently have DMP-WM1 FEv2, and Project Z. When it comes to tuning mods, there are many of them.

On one hand, many think that when a update appears, that you download the update file and the new tuning file. The trouble begins for many that they dont realize you also need to make use of the revert stock file first BEFORE you download any new updates.

I always add a link to previous StockReverts packages, so this is already out of the way.

Also, each StockRevert package has different names, like "StockRevert_(DMP-WM1_FE).exe", which should help indicate that this StockRevert is for DMP-WM1 FE, for example.

Screenshot_20210203-085032_Chrome.jpg

I would say that in the end it's a matter of not reading everything.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #3,441 of 8,315
Got a bit over 20 hours of battery while playing in the Plus mode, with minimal screen usage and Battery Care setting off.
In the same region with my WM1A loaded with FEv2 with Battery Care on.

Q-6

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #3,442 of 8,315
In the same region with my WM1A loaded with FEv2 with Battery Care on.

Q-6

I get about 30 hours and a weeks stand by on my Nayparm double capacity battery, down from about 40 hours and 10 days stand by on the FE fw so a hit of 20-25%

Feb 3, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #3,443 of 8,315
I must be the odd one but I find the Project Z the brighter sounding. Maybe I didn't install it correctly, redid the entire thing and I report back later.

Edit: Changed the region to CN, I prefer that to J.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #3,444 of 8,315
I get about 30 hours and a weeks stand by on my Nayparm double capacity battery, down from about 40 hours and 10 days stand by on the FE fw so a hit of 20-25%
Just to correct myself FEv2 Plus :)

Q-6

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #3,445 of 8,315
Just to correct myself FEv2 Plus :)

Q-6

Yes my 30 hours and loss of 20-25% is going from FE to FEv2(plus). Run the test twice with roughly the same result

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #3,446 of 8,315
Yes my 30 hours and loss of 20-25% is going from FE to FEv2(plus). Run the test twice with roughly the same result
FEv2 Plus is worth it to my ears and at around 20 on a charge is still decent.

Q-6

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #3,447 of 8,315
FEv2 Plus is worth it to my ears and at around 20 on a charge is still decent.

Q-6

Indeed. Have installed ProjectZ and will try that tonight

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #3,449 of 8,315
@MrWalkman Why you keep pushing us to make choices!? Now I don't know which one of Project Z or FEv2 should I choose!
Life's so hard:dt880smile::dt880smile::dt880smile::dt880smile::dt880smile::dt880smile:

Choosing Project Z is mostly if you like warmer/more analogue sound signatures or not.

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #3,450 of 8,315
Damn another FW! Won't have time til the weekend but very exciting. What's the bass quantity & soundstage like on Project Z compared to the FE+?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back