Sony Walkman custom firmware (non-Android)
Dec 26, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #2,806 of 8,318
AAC 256 can actually sound really good. An advice would be to not focus on the technical part, like "oh, it's lossy, 256 kbps, it must be bad".

I know someone who was so into WAV files, and even how WAV sounds better than FLAC, and now he's all into Spotify for example. :)

Try seeing the whole picture, and don't focus on imperfections.

Indeed. Music from my iPhone to WF-1000XM3 over aac actually sounds really good

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #2,807 of 8,318
Indeed. Music from my iPhone to WF-1000XM3 over aac actually sounds really good
But it is not the connection over aac by ia applying again the lossy algorithm on an already lossy encoded file, better use lossless over by lossy connections like sbc or aptx aac to retain most quality

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #2,808 of 8,318
But it is not the connection over aac by ia applying again the lossy algorithm on an already lossy encoded file, better use lossless over by lossy connections like sbc or aptx aac to retain most quality

I don't know how it works behind the scene, but it surely sounds damn good to me. I used headphones connected to a Macbook, and the sound quality from the Macbook via AAC was better than LDAC from my smartphone for example.

Also, it would make no sense that there is a further reduction in quality if you play an AAC file via the AAC BT codec vs if you play a FLAC file via the same codec. In both cases, the same sound quality should result if the AAC and FLAC are originating from the same master.

Dec 26, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #2,810 of 8,318
I don't know how it works behind the scene, but it surely sounds damn good to me. I used headphones connected to a Macbook, and the sound quality from the Macbook via AAC was better than LDAC from my smartphone for example.

Also, it would make no sense that there is a further reduction in quality if you play an AAC file via the AAC BT codec vs if you play a FLAC file via the same codec. In both cases, the same sound quality should result if the AAC and FLAC are originating from the same master.

That would depend on how Apple implements it. I always thought that they decoded the file to analog and then mixed in system sounds and other sounds before encoding to aac to send over BT, but others say that they don't decode aac files but rather do the mixing on the aac signal. I can't find any information on how they do it, but it sounds fine to me

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #2,812 of 8,318
There's a significant difference between price and quality with cables LOL. Quality base material costs simple as that, yet that doesn't automatically equal a four figure price tag for what amounts to be a wire. I'm lucky being based in SE Asia and have easy access to cable makers. The mark up on such items is obscene at times, I've sourced OEM cables at a fraction of the retail price with a little ground work. Yep your being "hosed" by the manufacturer's plain & simple - Branded 4.4 to MMCX Kimber Kable $55 tops...

The high price branded cables your mostly paying for the fine details, enhanced UV protection, kudos and bespoke jewellery in some cases. Yes some can alter the SQ although it's rather achieved by reducing a trait than enhancing one.

I agree with Lookout57 that quality counts. Cable below was produced by a local professional cable maker with OCC Copper & OCC Silver 64 strand cores 4x4 wired to the same pattern as Hifiman's own cable, it results in a slightly smoother & fuller sound, the driving reason was to switch to 4.4 balanced. The fuller sound is likely due to the higher grade of base materials, increased contact area given the 64 strand wire and 8 cores given the cable is 10X the contact area of the OEM cable. Terminators are simply what the cable maker recommended, nothing fancy. Unfortunately without direct access such a IEM/HP cable would be be very expensive as it would likely pass through many middlemen before reaching the end users hands.

8 core Kimber; 4 X OCC Copper X 4 OCC Silver, 64 strands per core, 4.4 balanced to duel 3.5 TRS, 6MM+ These guys generally do high end audio interconnects, with IEM & HP cables being a side branch, equally they can produce to your spec up to and including Gold, should you desire...

TLDR: cables quality is everything, pricing entirely a different matter...

Q-6

Is that CEMA cable ???

US $2.50 | Eagle elevation cost performance copper 6N OCC OCC silver plating 26AWG Headphone Upgrade Line DIY
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPICNVP

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2,813 of 8,318
Is that CEMA cable ???

US $2.50 | Eagle elevation cost performance copper 6N OCC OCC silver plating 26AWG Headphone Upgrade Line DIY
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPICNVP

No as was made by a professional cable maker, is 1,5M 8 core Kimber; 4 X OCC Copper X 4 OCC Silver, 64 strands per core, 4.4 balanced to duel 3.5 TRS.
More likely to be the heavier gauge of this cable as is closer to 24AWG.

Q-6

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #2,814 of 8,318
Hi, so my laptop's motherboard just got fried with all my files of which were my precious wm1a mods from way back chinese based ones. I was wondering if anyone has a link to the previous ones :frowning2:...

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #2,815 of 8,318
Hi, so my laptop's motherboard just got fried with all my files of which were my precious wm1a mods from way back chinese based ones. I was wondering if anyone has a link to the previous ones :frowning2:...

Send a PM to @nc8000, he might be able to help.

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #2,816 of 8,318
Dec 31, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #2,817 of 8,318
thank you so much!

No problem. By the way, you could buy a very cheap SATA to USB adapter and get your data from the SSD/HDD.

I bought one for a standard PC HDD (3.5 inch) but it works only with laptop HDDs (2.5 inch) or with SSDs. Sadly, they mentioned this only somewhere at the bottom of the description 😅

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #2,818 of 8,318
No problem. By the way, you could buy a very cheap SATA to USB adapter and get your data from the SSD/HDD.

I bought one for a standard PC HDD (3.5 inch) but it works only with laptop HDDs (2.5 inch) or with SSDs. Sadly, they mentioned this only somewhere at the bottom of the description 😅
Oh did not know that! Haha i'll be sure to pick one up next time im near a store :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back