Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Sep 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #76 of 626
I'm curious about PHA 1 working with andriod or not. 
blink.gif
 Does anyone know by chance ?
atsmile.gif

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #77 of 626
Quote:
Naotaka Tsunoda (he goes by the nickname "Nao") from Sony's Tokyo product nerve center visited my office yesterday, and it was a very fun, interesting day. He left one of everything from the new Sony lineup, and I was surprised the PHA-1 was one of them (especially because I'm not quite sure yet if/when it's coming to the U.S. market).

Jude... seeing as you appear to have the ear of one the top guys at Sony, would it be possible to ask him a few simple questions for us Walkman fans.

Why Sony does not release 64gb models worldwide... and... if there are plans to include a SD-card slot on future models?

Be great if you could get an answer... cheers.

Sep 22, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #78 of 626
Quote:
it shouldnt however digital signal can be encrypted. meaning they could have a new digital out alogorithm for their new port which renders the old algorithm used in the older idevices DAC useless. 

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/what-the-lightning-connector-means-to-the-dock-ecosystem/

The new adapter supposedly has a built in DAC, causing the steep $30 price tag for a friggen adapter.

Still lends me to wonder it's usefulness with the PHA-1

EDIT: Not that I'm an iPhone user, or care to get an iPhone 5.

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #79 of 626
Jude... seeing as you appear to have the ear of one the top guys at Sony, would it be possible to ask him a few simple questions for us Walkman fans.

Why Sony does not release 64gb models worldwide... and... if there are plans to include a SD-card slot on future models?

Be great if you could get an answer... cheers.

I am meeting the Sony team next week. Will ask and see what they say.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #80 of 626
Quote:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/what-the-lightning-connector-means-to-the-dock-ecosystem/

The new adapter supposedly has a built in DAC, causing the steep $30 price tag for a friggen adapter.

Still lends me to wonder it's usefulness with the PHA-1

EDIT: Not that I'm an iPhone user, or care to get an iPhone 5.

I am been super optimistic here, considering how the PHA-1 is a sony product can it be possible to achieve the famous walkman SQ from an idevice?

I am getting the PHA-1 anyways, it is an important part of sony history.

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #85 of 626
Quote:

any new on that meeting... cheers

Takoyaki... nice photo, is that wood effect on the casing?

About the meeting, I actually did get a chance to ask but as guessed, the Walkman is actually a different division from headphones and therefore they couldn't answer the question (nor the SD slot).

@Takoyaki-san, nice! I was under the impression that it was supposed to be on sale only from Oct 10th. Guess they sold early then.

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #89 of 626
The output impedance is indeed a bit high. However, performance isn't poor like some headphone amps that sport similar impedances. 
Quote:
I'll assume they have a typo and it should be LME49860. Not a bad choice on the gain stage opamp, but TPA6120 on the output stage means it will have at least 10ohm of output impedance (minimum as suggested by manufacturer) and better for full size rather than IEM. On a side note, the crossover-less of Sony own XBA series might go well (better than typical multi-way IEM) with this amp.
Really like the design, a bit like pro-audio stuff.
That's easily solvable by a new cable though.
Also, the official price is around US$630.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back