Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Sep 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #6,286 of 7,711
I've paired it with the SONY WG-C20. Sounds fine but you need to use the WG's native app. Took 2 purchase as the 1'st gen C20 got borked by the early firmware.

I was using the native app when I had mine AFAIK but didn't work very well. Perhaps I was doing something wrong. Yeah it sounded great but the DNLA / app interface didn't work well at all, see my earlier post. I'd love to be proved wrong and maybe I had a dud.

Sep 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #6,288 of 7,711
So has any ZX-1 owner had any success pairing it with all these new portable wireless HDDs? I have great difficulty with the Seagate wireless HDD and I'm wondering if anyone has success with La Cie Fuel, WD, etc.

I have the Seagate Wireless (500GB 2012 model) and it works just fine.  You will have to connect to the Wifi drive via wifi, click the DLNA app, connect to the drive, select playable content, and it should play just fine.  I was able to do this on the 2nd day that I got my ZX1.  This app will play file as is without resampling/conversion to 16/44.1.  I verified this with a DAC and it displayed the bit depth & sampling rate perfectly.

Sep 23, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #6,289 of 7,711
I have the Seagate Wireless (500GB 2012 model) and it works just fine.  You will have to connect to the Wifi drive via wifi, click the DLNA app, connect to the drive, select playable content, and it should play just fine.  I was able to do this on the 2nd day that I got my ZX1.  This app will play file as is without resampling/conversion to 16/44.1.  I verified this with a DAC and it displayed the bit depth & sampling rate perfectly.

That was what I did for my 2014 model (2 TB). It would rebuild the library everytime I powered on, sometimes whilst playing for no reason. Songs would sometimes just stop too.

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #6,290 of 7,711
That was what I did for my 2014 model (2 TB). It would rebuild the library everytime I powered on, sometimes whilst playing for no reason. Songs would sometimes just stop too.

Alternatively, can anyone advise what would be a good Android app that I can download to try to get the ZX-1 to pair well with the Seagate Wireless? thanks

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #6,291 of 7,711
I finally bit the bullet and ordered one from Sony Canada.  It showed up today, and the touchscreen stops responding at random intervals.  Usually it's every 3-5 minutes, although as I type this it's gone about 30 minutes without bugging out.  A reboot restores full functionality.  Everything else works fine, but can't live with a buggy touchscreen.

Sony Canada support was very good and they are sending me a replacement unit (actually, I had to buy a new one and they will refund me for this defective one once I send it back).  They gave me $30 off the replacement for my trouble.  Can't complain much there, even though it's annoying to have a brand new, premium device be defective out of the box.

The thing sounds fantastic.  My PSB M4U2s have never sounded this good!

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #6,292 of 7,711

I have been lurking here following this thread for the last year. Received my NWZ-ZX1 via Sony Canada last Monday. It was pre-ordered the day pre-orders came live. I loaded it up with 70GB of assorted files ranging from 256  kpbs AAC to 2,8 Mhz DSD, did all the updates, and got off to a great start. Biggest bang for the buck of any portable I have owned over too many years to count. 

Sorry to read about your touch screen issues but it is fortunate Sony brought in enough to send you a replacement. Monday, after I received mine, they updated the status to backordered for several hours. Now they have stock again.

The player is outstanding with Sony MDR-1RNC headphones. Not up to expectation using  XBA-H3 IEMs but when paired with the PHA-2 it is superb. The first several days point to a battery life way below claims. Six hours with the PHA-2 in use..

Good luck with your replacement.

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #6,293 of 7,711

I have been lurking here following this thread for the last year. Received my NWZ-ZX1 via Sony Canada last Monday. It was pre-ordered the day pre-orders came live. I loaded it up with 70GB of assorted files ranging from 256  kpbs AAC to 2,8 Mhz DSD, did all the updates, and got off to a great start. Biggest bang for the buck of any portable I have owned over too many years to count. 

Sorry to read about your touch screen issues but it is fortunate Sony brought in enough to send you a replacement. Monday, after I received mine, they updated the status to backordered for several hours. Now they have stock again.

The player is outstanding with Sony MDR-1RNC headphones. Not up to expectation using  XBA-H3 IEMs but when paired with the PHA-2 it is superb. The first several days point to a battery life way below claims. Six hours with the PHA-2 in use..

Good luck with your replacement.

I've been the same way - lurking and following this thread for a while.  I got to play with a ZX1 at the Sony store over the weekend and that sold it. 

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #6,295 of 7,711
No, I'm in Alberta.  If you're on the fence from doing some reading and eyeballing the pictures, when you pick it up in person, you're going to end up buying it.  That's what happened to me.  It is a work of art.

Sep 25, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #6,296 of 7,711
Yeah, I had my eyes on one when I was in Tokyo two months ago, it was beautiful, but I lacked the funds to buy it so I got the F886 instead.  I am happy with this little guy so that is why I am on the fence.  

Sep 25, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #6,297 of 7,711
Toronto for me and the closest Sony Store to me only brought in pre-orders. They probably need to gain some sales before stocking them in store. The marketing has been horrible, almost like they want the product to fail.

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #6,298 of 7,711
I´m considering selling my ZX1, pm me if there is some interest. I will post it in the Sell/Trade-Forum the next days.

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #6,300 of 7,711
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone here could tell me what's would be a good configuration for the equalizer of this player?
Many thanks for your support.

I use XBA-H3 with NWZ-ZX1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back