Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Oct 2, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #6,316 of 7,711
how is Sony's UI? is it easy to find and manage a large library ?

how can you create a playlist/mix ?

this is without touchscreen

I'm not sure what you mean about the touch screen... This device has one.

Navigating a large library is a piece of cake if your files are tagged correctly. I suggest looking at some YouTube videos of the zx1 in action to get more of an idea about the UI.

I don't use playlists so can't comment on that

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #6,317 of 7,711
I'm not sure what you mean about the touch screen... This device has one.

Navigating a large library is a piece of cake if your files are tagged correctly. I suggest looking at some YouTube videos of the zx1 in action to get more of an idea about the UI.

I don't use playlists so can't comment on that

Oh, I said without touchscreen because I am trying to gauge the UI in the upcoming A17 coming out next month...its not a touch screen

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #6,318 of 7,711
Oh, I said without touchscreen because I am trying to gauge the UI in the upcoming A17 coming out next month...its not a touch screen

The A17 will be a completely different experience... The XZ1 is android whereas the A17 is a Sony custom UI.

I think some of the older players have a similar UI to the A17 but I'm not sure of the model numbers.

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #6,319 of 7,711
The A17 will be a completely different experience... The XZ1 is android whereas the A17 is a Sony custom UI.

I think some of the older players have a similar UI to the A17 but I'm not sure of the model numbers.

oh I'm unfamiliar with the Sony's diff models, but yeah, I am wondering how well their custom UI manages music...if anyone can chime in 

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #6,320 of 7,711
navigation is usually appreciated and was at some point clearly the best thing possible. but years have passed and the UI while still being good(good never grows old) it is now just one nice UI amongst other nice ones. alphabet or cover search, and the usual by artist by album... it all depends on tags really and how your last DAP forced you to deal with them.
the main problem I guess is that historically sony never cared much for easy gapless. there was always a way around it(wave, atrac), but it has never been as simple as using a rockboxed sansa clip. but I don't know how it goes on the new A series.

the real power of something under android like the zx1 is obviously that you will find the app that is just for you and does what YOU need. with default sony UI, you like it or you don't, not much to do about it(I happen to be a fanboy). so more than unknown sound quality, it's worth thinking about what you do expect from a dap before making a move. nothing is more desappointing than a DAP that doesn't do what we bought it for.

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #6,321 of 7,711
Are any of using the ZX1 in place of a streamer or media player into a quality hifi/av processor?  I currently stream hi-res from a NAS via my Oppo Blu-ray player as my Sonos system only plays standard CD quality and will not be upgraded as Sonos see no large market for hires.  How does the ZX1 fare?

Is a standard Sony port to 2 phono cable all that would be needed if using the inbuilt DACs and Amp? I also use an external Rega DAC that has greatly improved on the Sonos DACs via Optical out.

Does the included ZX1 cable allow Co-ax or Optical out that would go direct to an external hi-fi DAC?

Hoping to hear from Fortis soon to sample his LX1 and amps/headphone collection! only 10 miles away so should be fun!

Happy New Year everyone

Was reading through the thread but never came across an answer to this (crapped out in the low 200s). Has anyone had any experience with this?

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #6,322 of 7,711

Are any of using the ZX1 in place of a streamer or media player into a quality hifi/av processor?  I currently stream hi-res from a NAS via my Oppo Blu-ray player as my Sonos system only plays standard CD quality and will not be upgraded as Sonos see no large market for hires.  How does the ZX1 fare?

Is a standard Sony port to 2 phono cable all that would be needed if using the inbuilt DACs and Amp? I also use an external Rega DAC that has greatly improved on the Sonos DACs via Optical out.
  Does the included ZX1 cable allow Co-ax or Optical out that would go direct to an external hi-fi DAC?

Hoping to hear from Fortis soon to sample his LX1 and amps/headphone collection! only 10 miles away so should be fun!

Happy New Year everyone

Was reading through the thread but never came across an answer to this (crapped out in the low 200s). Has anyone had any experience with this?

Point 1, I'm using a Synology NAS, so for compatability, I transcode my flac files to PCM, even then, I don't use the ZX1 as a streamer, too small and fiddly, when I have other sources.

I do however have it connected up to my rather ageing STRDA-1200ES, I've 'modified' an old BCR-NWU3 cradle to accomodate the ZX1.

This is analogue only, although I like the sound.

Point 2, Yes a WM-Port to 2 phono connectors, or 3.5mm to 2 phono connectors is all you need. My BCR-NWU3 Cradle is connected to either my 1200ES or my Little Dot mkIII via this method. It means I can charge it at the same time as using it, rather useful.

Point 3, I'm not as sure about this as I should be, but I think the only devices that with decode a digital signal from the Walkman are the Sony PHA amplifiers (excluding a PC of course, but thats something different as we're only using the walkman as a mass storage device then), I have a feeling I will be corrected on this very soon...

Hope this helps.

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #6,323 of 7,711
Thanks for the response, and yes it does help.

Point 1 - what do you use as a streamer? Was also looking for an app that is similar to "Smart Player" for my windows phone or "Plug Player" for the ios world. These allow you to control streaming audio (or video in the case of Smart Player) from a NAS or other network source and then having them either play on your device (like the ZX1 does) or direct the stream to play on another renderer, like a smart tv, Perfectwave Dac w/ bridge, or similar (which as far as I can tell the ZX1 cannot do stock).

Point 2 - will look for adapters.

Point 3 - still figuring this one out. I think it is possible only through USB from what I have read to date but some DACs aparently may not recognize the signal.(still slogging through the other 200 pages of this thread). Would be cool if it sent a digital signal ala coax and there was an adapter as well.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #6,325 of 7,711
Do wish the new Sony players are more than just old toys in new wrappers.

The notion of having micro-SD card slot was good ... some 5 years ago. Afraid it's too little too late today.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #6,326 of 7,711
Anyone done any measurements of zx1?
A complete hardware dismantling and analysis like ifixit guys do for cellphones and tablets?

Just interested in what amp is inside,even dac may not be proprietary afterall.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #6,327 of 7,711
kenz

micro sd is still relevant atleast to a budget conscious consumer like me and a good step by sony.

But yeah,they are too late in the day.

People are not gullible anymore to buy something just for brand value,except apple fans maybe but still apple products do excel in many things.

The problem with sony dap's is simply very high cost/performance ratio.

The only thing they do well is the eq and clear bass setting which indeed works.

I just hope,as u said that this a17 does not turn out to be a new toy.

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #6,328 of 7,711
@kenz

micro sd is still relevant atleast to a budget conscious consumer like me and a good step by sony.

But yeah,they are too late in the day.

People are not gullible anymore to buy something just for brand value,except apple fans maybe but still apple products do excel in many things.

The problem with sony dap's is simply very high cost/performance ratio.

The only thing they do well is the eq and clear bass setting which indeed works.

I just hope,as u said that this a17 does not turn out to be a new toy.

Yeah. microSD card option is always a welcome.

Lets hope Sony will surprise us this time. 

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #6,329 of 7,711

Yeah. microSD card option is always a welcome.

Lets hope Sony will surprise us this time. 

Looking at the low price of a17,,,i am not too optimistic.
They will sound like f-series i think.

But yeah a surprise is always welcome
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #6,330 of 7,711
Just a difference of opinion but I much prefer bigger internal memory than sd cards.
Tends to be quicker to directly fill the internal memory.
Often takes a while for machines to read and categorise larger cards, particularly the 128gig cards.

My ibasso dx90 struggled at times reading such cards. Even the AK240 can be a bit awkward when it comes to removing and replacing the card.

I actually like the fact the Sony Nwz-zx1 is internal memory only.
I delete albums after listening to them and top up once a week from my 4 Terabytes of FLAC files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back