Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Sep 15, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #6,256 of 7,711
Hi:

Does anyone of you know if there will be, in near future, a NWZ-ZX2.
Since Sony launched NWZ-ZX1 i know that i want it. There are two reasons for not buying it: 1- Sony don't sell it officialy in Portugal 2- it don't have a sd card slot.

I'm wondering if SONY plans to build a second version of this player with support for sd cards. Meanwhile i'm affraid, if there will not be a second version, that this player become discontinued and in that case i will not be able to by it anymore.

I want to know your oppinion about this.

Because i'm Portuguese i beg your pardon for my bad English.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #6,257 of 7,711
  Hi:

Since Sony launched NWZ-ZX1 i know that i want it. There are two reasons for not buying it: 1- Sony don't sell it officialy in Portugal 2- it don't have a sd card slot.

I'm wondering if SONY plans to build a second version of this player with support for sd cards. Meanwhile i'm affraid, if there will not be a second version, that this player become discontinued and in that case i will not be able to by it anymore.

There are rumors about it but nothing official yet !

1, even if the ZX1 is not available in Portugal , you can purchase it from the spanish or french portals , you will still have the warranty

2, if you followed the strategy of Sony , I don't think the next release will have SD card slot for the same reasons that Apple will never implement external memory slots as well : performance and security

3, the ZX1 is the best full feature dap I own till now , the sound quality is beaten only by Tera and AK240, you can proceed to buy one safely
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #6,258 of 7,711
  However I do agree that a Walkman A10 paired with either the PHA-2 or PHA-3AC through USB would be a better bang-for-buck digital source. Lighter, cheaper and better battery life. Some might miss the touch screen though.

I'm not sure I agree with the better battery life argument. nothing really says that the A10 will outlast the ZX1 battery wise. and how long do the PHA-2 or 3 last? I'm talking real usage, not sony drunk over estimates.

Hi:

zx2? for the 40th anniversary? ^_^ but I guess they would call it ZXX or ZX100000000 so it wouldn't look like just an upgrade.
the next A10 will have a SD slot, maybe you should lurk that way.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #6,259 of 7,711
Sony quotes these playback times with Bluetooth/ WiFi switched off:

NWZ-A10:
MP3 @ 128kbps - 50 hrs 
Hi-Res Audio FLAC @ 192kHz/24bit - 30 hrs

NW-ZX1: 
MP3 @ 128kbps - About 32 HoursHi-Res Audio FLAC @ 192kHz/24bit - couldn't find an official number, but from personal experience I get around 16-20 hours depending on how often the screen is switched on/off.

The ZX1 does have a more powerful amp, larger screen and it is also running Android under the hood which may add to battery usage. However I believe that it is a fair trade off as the touch screen does make file browsing a pleasure.

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #6,260 of 7,711
  Sony quotes these playback times with Bluetooth/ WiFi switched off:

NWZ-A10:
MP3 @ 128kbps - 50 hrs 
Hi-Res Audio FLAC @ 192kHz/24bit - 30 hrs

NW-ZX1: 
MP3 @ 128kbps - About 32 HoursHi-Res Audio FLAC @ 192kHz/24bit - couldn't find an official number, but from personal experience I get around 16-20 hours depending on how often the screen is switched on/off.

The ZX1 does have a more powerful amp, larger screen and it is also running Android under the hood which may add to battery usage. However I believe that it is a fair trade off as the touch screen does make file browsing a pleasure.

well as I said on a A-10 topic, I usually cut sony values in half and get close enough to what I actually experience with a few walkmans.
I sure will be happy if the A-10 ends up working close to 25h for me, but even if that happens to be true (plz plz plz!!!!!!) there will still be a need to find an amp that can last as long. my actual amp must last me around 12h, making the ZX1 a clear winner if it can be used alone.
else for sound quality, I totally agree that a cheap source+great amp usually pwns a DAP however good it is. you only have to be willing to carry the brick around.
different options for different needs. I think sony did well showing that kind of variety

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6,261 of 7,711

There are rumors about it but nothing official yet !

1, even if the ZX1 is not available in Portugal , you can purchase it from the spanish or french portals , you will still have the warranty

2, if you followed the strategy of Sony , I don't think the next release will have SD card slot for the same reasons that Apple will never implement external memory slots as well : performance and security

3, the ZX1 is the best full feature dap I own till now , the sound quality is beaten only by Tera and AK240, you can proceed to buy one safely
wink.gif

Thank you Nella for your information and i'm affraid that i will follow your suggestion.
Many thanks again.

ps i already had buy the the XBA-H3 and now i really need a good player to pair with them

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #6,263 of 7,711
  Hi:

This question gets asked far too many times here, The ZX1 is the 35th Walkman Anniversary model, period. If you want the ZX2 or whatever it will be called upon release then wait for the 40th year model.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #6,264 of 7,711
This question gets asked far too many times here, The ZX1 is the 35th Walkman Anniversary model, period. If you want the ZX2 or whatever it will be called upon release then wait for the 40th year model.
By then, it will come with 2TB built-in.

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #6,265 of 7,711
  Hi:

I debated the same thing.  I pulled the trigger while I had a chance to get one with a warranty at a good price.  If Sony was releasing these regularly, I'd wait to see what the next one brings.  But, this is a first of its kind for them, and it's so far from anything else in their product line.  I don't see a typical update cycle for this product if any cycle at all.  

Sep 16, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #6,267 of 7,711
Do you mean voltage? I find the 901 power to be higher than other lineout. Most amps don't seem to notice it (maybe some kind of voltage protector?) but in a recent amp review that didn't there was high distortion from the 901 lineout.

The ZX1 otoh as I just found out 2 hrs ago seems lower than usual.

Don't all players that have a line-out feature perform the same in terms of quality and volume cos it all depends on the paired amp. 

It should entirely depend on the paired amp cos there is no resistors, caps in the way of the path hence the meaning of lineout.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #6,269 of 7,711

Do you mean voltage? I find the 901 power to be higher than other lineout. Most amps don't seem to notice it (maybe some kind of voltage protector?) but in a recent amp review that didn't there was high distortion from the 901 lineout.

The ZX1 otoh as I just found out 2 hrs ago seems lower than usual.

Don't all players that have a line-out feature perform the same in terms of quality and volume cos it all depends on the paired amp. 

It should entirely depend on the paired amp cos there is no resistors, caps in the way of the path hence the meaning of lineout.

Correct me if I'm wrong.  

the line out could/should use standard values, but like anything else, between the incompetent designs, the false line out that is just the HO at max volume, and the clever little guys who thought that if they made the line out a little louder, most people would believe the sound to be superior in listening tests without matched volumes, we end up with pretty much whatever.
most of the times the max voltage will be around 1 or 2volt, and the impedance output should be around 1 or 2 hundred ohm(but can really be anything). so it can clearly affect the gain and overall loudness, but it can also make an amp clip. and there is no perfect choice as a low signal might have a higher noise floor, and hiss, or make your amp unable to get some headphones loud enough.
usually line outs on portable devices have lower voltage than desktop product line outs(ipod effect). so portable amps might tend to be designed for lower voltages and clip sooner than desktop amps in that particular situation.
the hm901 LO being louder might just be that it's the only one with a 2v LO while others are lower. I don't know, but sony certainly didn't output 2V into the LO of any walkmans I've owned. the fiio X3 had the loudest line out for me and it's given at 1.7v.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #6,270 of 7,711

Well i will go to purchase the NWZ-ZX1. I've been thinkink about the sd csrd slot and i just see no need to have it. When i get tired of ear the albums that i transferred to the player i just simply can move them to a portable hard disk or a cloud in the net. After that i can transfer other albums to the player.I can even use the player to tranfer albums from and to the cloud . Some of you makes me see that i just can throw away the possibility to have this player if i sit down and wait to see if Sony is going to do other version of this player.
Thanks you all  for helping me decide to buy this player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back