Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Sep 9, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #6,226 of 7,711
If u re-read the press released, you will see that the a17 used the same type of capacitor as the zx1 hence why I think it will sound some where in between the f88x and zx1.

wow you are right, I didn't see that before, so it seems the A17 is using same type of caps as zx1 but smaller ones for same out put power as f880, so you were right in saying SQ will be in between F880 and ZX1.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #6,228 of 7,711
  I don't think that PHA-2 is better than Hugo , but it does a better pairing with the ZX1, the Hugo has been made for the most demanding audiophiles and should be ideal for the AK240 regarding the price tag.

The PHA-2 has been made and tuned perfectly to match the ZX1, that's what I'm using right now and it's a little piece of heaven to my ears 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've just relinquished ownership of the F887/PHA-2 combo which I really enjoyed though the ZX1 is going nowhere.

as a source the ZX1 is most excellent feeding my new DAC/Amp and I still love using my ZX1 on its own, best of both worlds...
bigsmile_face.gif

>note< I won't be commenting on the brand I am associated within this thread. 

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #6,229 of 7,711
I've just relinquished ownership of the F887/PHA-2 combo which I really enjoyed though the ZX1 is going nowhere.

as a source the ZX1 is most excellent feeding my new DAC/Amp and I still love using my ZX1 on its own, best of both worlds... :bigsmile_face:

>note< I won't be commenting on the brand I am associated within this thread. 

What did you think of the ZX1 with the PHA2?

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #6,231 of 7,711
What did you think of the ZX1 with the PHA2?

music wise pretty excellent, I tended to use line-out in preference to headphone-out as things were slightly more focused... I bought a couple of hi-res 'live' albums but couldn't discern any difference between that and a red-book upload so don't think I'll be investing in many DSD/hi-res albums.

I also liked using the PHA-2 out of my PC as things were definitely improved... I'll probably regret selling the PHA-2 at some point as I consider it great value for the money, hth.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #6,233 of 7,711
  Hm, I wonder if this pic on Sony Singapore together with the new XBA-Z5 just teased an Android 4.4 upgrade for NWZ-ZX1? Probably just a concept, but still :)

http://www.sony.com.sg/product/xba-z5

Interesting, where did you get the pic from on Sony Sg? link? I've seen the pha-3 pics somewhere but not all three together.

Hopefully not a zx2 with 4.4 grrh!

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #6,234 of 7,711
  Hm, I wonder if this pic on Sony Singapore together with the new XBA-Z5 just teased an Android 4.4 upgrade for NWZ-ZX1? Probably just a concept, but still :)

http://www.sony.com.sg/product/xba-z5

Good catch and also good question.  But at this moment in time, it is just a mock up for the headphones as the image contains a phone on it, so from an Xperia and not an updated ZX1.

While an update would be nice for users, I am doubting one will arrive with 4.4 maybe, 4.3 at the most, but do not expect 4.4.  The ZX1 like the current F series are running rather old CPUs, discontinued as well, OMAP4s.  I doubt Sony would spend time to code for the OMAP4 and android 4.4, 4.3 is possible but if the device is working like it should then there is no need for 4.3.

4.2 would be nice since it would bring lockscreen widget support and fix bluetooth bugs but then if you are listening to hi-res audio you will not be using bluetooth.

There is a rumour that a new F-Series will be launched, possibly late this year or early next but nothing 100%.

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #6,236 of 7,711
One can always go for the MDR-1ADAC, which features a built in DAC into the headphones, seems all the A10 press photos with larger headphones were the MDR-1ADAC, otherwise I doubt the new A series could drive larger headphones by itself.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-1adac

Sep 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #6,237 of 7,711
  One can always go for the MDR-1ADAC, which features a built in DAC into the headphones, seems all the A10 press photos with larger headphones were the MDR-1ADAC, otherwise I doubt the new A series could drive larger headphones by itself.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-1adac

What about this?  MDR-1 not MDR-1ADAC

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #6,239 of 7,711
  Appears they were the 1As and not 1ADACs, my mistake, it will drive the headphones but I feel the DAC model will be the better option if you wish to have better sound or just use it with the PHA2.

Totally agree, big cans will always shine and show their true sound when amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back