Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Sep 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #6,244 of 7,711
I thought I'd share my experience of using the Sony WG-C20 Portable Media Server with my NW-ZX1...

I've only had the WG-C20 for a day and so far it's has left me a little disappointed and frustrated.

I loaded files onto a FAT32 formatted SD card slipped it into the WG-C20, setup DNLA etc and used the Sony File Manager app. I was expecting a very smooth integrated approach where I would be able to navigate my albums like I do on the ZX1, but unfortunately it's not like that at all. First of all music files are listed as a huge list, not grouped as albums. There's not a way to search for things like artists etc, and when you select a file that is part of an album that file will only play and stop. I've since noticed that this approach waits for the file to be copied to your device before it plays. Also the file formats associated with the Sony File Manager don't include FLAC! This means any FLAC files accessed from the app will not open an application.

I tried the DNLA approach like I have in the past with my home NAS'. This yielded unsatisfactory results. I do not get thumbnails when I scroll through music files and there seems to be a problem with the DNLA database as only some of the Albums show up as Albums even after a DNLA rebuild. However Albums when they are shown do play faultlessly and seamlessly albeit without metadata inc album art. My other NAS', Iomega and WD both show metadata and album art. This leads me to think there is either a misconfiguration or the DNLA server isn't all that.

Another issue is that NFC doesn't seem to work with the ZX1 even though I've enabled it. The NFC with the C20 works great with my HTC One flawlessly. Another thing this won't work with NTFS formatted cards or HDD's.

The WG-C20's battery is very good though, I streamed music all morning and it only used 25% of the battery. I then plugged it into the ZX1 and it charged it up from 75% and had plenty left.

I'd love for someone to tell me I'm missing something here, but this has frustrated me no end and I had paid a premium for the Sony server as I was expecting a trouble free solution.

Sep 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #6,245 of 7,711
Just want to own a ax1 from it pure look. Well that's 90%. And there's 10% of little details which is against it. That's what I got from this thread. Or am I wrong. Is this the ultimate dap?

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #6,246 of 7,711
Hello people,
I'm what you'd call an amateur audiophile. Sort of chanced on a recommendation for the then fab westone  3s years ago and stuck with the brand. Long story short, I've had the zx1 for 4 months, 2 with the westone 4s and more recently with the w60s with custom molds. The combination with w60s is proving to be very, very, excellent. Just thought I'd let anyone probably eyeing up westone's latest offering to use with the zx1. Haven't tried with an amp yet, but can say the depth and clarity is out of this world. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #6,247 of 7,711
  Hello people,
I'm what you'd call an amateur audiophile. Sort of chanced on a recommendation for the then fab westone  3s years ago and stuck with the brand. Long story short, I've had the zx1 for 4 months, 2 with the westone 4s and more recently with the w60s with custom molds. The combination with w60s is proving to be very, very, excellent. Just thought I'd let anyone probably eyeing up westone's latest offering to use with the zx1. Haven't tried with an amp yet, but can say the depth and clarity is out of this world. 

Congrats for your W60S, I've never auditioned Westone but for $1300 , I suppose that I sounds awesome with the ZX1 , somehow I personally prefer using Sony on Sony as everything has been tuned to match each other such as (i.e Hifiman 901+ RE600, AK120 Titan+AKR02, AK240+AKR03), even my Shure SE846,  which is supposed to be the best universal iem on the market doesn't pair perfectly well with the ZX1 but my Sony XBA H3 does a very very good job, just add the PHA- 2 to the game and you'll be like in a concert hall enjoying every musical instrument separately and well detailed

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #6,248 of 7,711
@Liono regarding the Sony WG-C20 Portable Media Server.

I am not familiar with this DLNA stuff but suffice to say that I had the same problems with the Seagate Portable Wireless HDD 2 TB version. 

I gave up.

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #6,251 of 7,711
Arguably the PHA-2 already "kills" the ZX1 if you're looking purely at sound quality as the deciding metric. However the ZX1 still remains an attractive proposition due to the portability issue and the reasonable battery life (PHA-2 has about half the battery life of the ZX1).

However I do agree that a Walkman A10 paired with either the PHA-2 or PHA-3AC through USB would be a better bang-for-buck digital source. Lighter, cheaper and better battery life. Some might miss the touch screen though.

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #6,252 of 7,711
  is this still relevant now that the PHA-3ac is shown?  Pair PHA-3ac with cheaper Walkman and the combo should KILL the ZX1 right?

Yup, should be.  The PHA-2 is already considerably much better sounding than the ZX1.  The ZX1 is still an attractive buy for an all-in-one DAP that perform very well with CIEMs.  However, only F880x, A1x, and ZX1 will work with the PHA-2 and possibly the PHA-3 tho.

Arguably the PHA-2 already "kills" the ZX1 if you're looking purely at sound quality as the deciding metric. However the ZX1 still remains an attractive proposition due to the portability issue and the reasonable battery life (PHA-2 has about half the battery life of the ZX1).

However I do agree that a Walkman A10 paired with either the PHA-2 or PHA-3AC through USB would be a better bang-for-buck digital source. Lighter, cheaper and better battery life. Some might miss the touch screen though.

Agreed.  I'm looking toward on getting the A10 especially for superior battery life to hook up with my PHA-2.  I am not exactly digging the look of the A17.  I was hoping that Sony just updated the design of the A86x with hi-rez capability tho.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #6,253 of 7,711
As a Mac user, I'm using the Mac's finder to copy-and-paste music files into the Sony's music folder. Have any Mac users found an alternative and faster way to transfer these files as it is so painfully slow? Thanks.

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #6,254 of 7,711
I'm not sure if this has been posted before. There's an interview with the design and engineering team at the Sony Canada website:

http://store.sony.ca/snyca-walkman-zx1-story-landing-cms-ca.walkman.zx1.story.landing

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting a link to a retailer's website. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #6,255 of 7,711
  I'm not sure if this has been posted before. There's an interview with the design and engineering team at the Sony Canada website:

http://store.sony.ca/snyca-walkman-zx1-story-landing-cms-ca.walkman.zx1.story.landing

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting a link to a retailer's website. 

Oh wow, this is nice, I wonder why it didn't appear on the sony design site hmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back