Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Aug 9, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #6,091 of 7,711
  Good day everybody,

I'd like to quickly introduce me as the new kid on the block in this forum. I kept reading silently for 2 years or so and got a wealth of very useful information during this time, thanks to all of your posts. Moreover I do enjoy the offtopics chats a lot too. (Especially the ones about how to approach the Mrs. in order to get clearance of new investment requests ...)

Starting  with portable cassette players, doing MD for a long period and finally ending up digital with ipods and smartphones, I would consider myself being after reasonably good quality but not aiming for the max. possible portable high end experience.

Connecting to this thread now: Currently I use a custom-rom HTC One with preferably the Beyerdynamic A200p and the Beyer T51p - which is a good enough combination for me. I sometimes switch to the Fiio E18, but actually prefer the warmer sound of the A200p.

My question (and upfront apologies if this had been asked & answered before, I read about 200 pages of this thread only) is: Did any of you compare the A200p SQ versus the ZX1 ?

The A200 have a Wolffson Dac, I have no idea which one houses in the ZX1, Do you listen with other headphones or IEM´s? I listen mainly with the Senn IE80 and Grado GR10,I did not like the Senn Momentum that much, so I wonder how the T51p is and certainly the combination with the A200p. I use the latter most with my Android device, the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet. My iPhone 5s doesn´t benefit that much as the Dac has the same sound signature. I belong in the same categorie , the best possible sound for a rather acceptable budget.The only player I would think of buying might be the Sony ZX1, if it is possible to stream Wimp on it.

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #6,094 of 7,711
Hi guys, just a newbie, my zx1 had just arrived three days ago. I just wanna to ask if i choose the music from the FOLDER and not the choosing the All, the music will keep playing in the same folder and won't jumping to the next folder. How can I change the setting and the music will jump to the next folder?

Thanks a lot.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #6,098 of 7,711
Hi, anyone had any problems with update 1.12? I'd rather not be the guinea pig!

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #6,103 of 7,711
After watching this, I did my damnedest to try to replicate the hiss the author - and others - claim they hear from the ZX1 with no music playing. Even at full volume, I'm not hearing any hiss.

http://cymbacavum.com/2014/06/09/lachlanlikesathing-sony-nwz-zx1-vs-iphone-5s/

These are the specs for each of my IEMs - somewhere between these and my 55-year old ears, I've clearly lost the bat-like hearing abilities that others seem to possess. It's odd because I have owned DAPs with hiss aplenty in the past but for me it just doesnt seem to be an issue with the ZX1. Strapped to the PHA-2, this thing is a weapon of mass satisfaction IMO, even if Sony have priced both at least 20% higher than they should be IMO. They've always made an effort to price their gear at the 'premium' level, but it seems odd given that their highly regarded 2-channel desktop releases - released late 2013/early 2014 - have been priced much more reasonably in relation to their competition. There is an old adage in hi-fi that if you want people to think highly of your product, increase the price - Sony have been doing this since before I was born so I'll leave it there. 

Westone W40D
SENSITIVITY:         118 dB SPL @ 1 mW
FREQUENCY RESPONSE:  10 Hz - 18 kHz
IMPEDANCE:           31 ohms @ 1 kHz

Shure SE425
Sensitivity                        109 dB SPL/mW
lmpedance                      22 Ω
Frequency Range          20Hz – 19kHz

Yamaha EPH-100
Impedance                        16 ohms
Sound Pressure Level    104 dB ±3 dB
Frequency Response    20 Hz – 20 kHz

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #6,104 of 7,711
No problems with the update - though no changes as well :)
Oh what the hell, maybe they release an upgrade ZX2 in the near future, as I am sure they follow up Head-fi and other in order to be able to find the points that need attention, on the other hand, there is no player like this on the market and in pure sound maybe the best one at this price point.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #6,105 of 7,711
  The A200 have a Wolffson Dac, I have no idea which one houses in the ZX1, Do you listen with other headphones or IEM´s? I listen mainly with the Senn IE80 and Grado GR10,I did not like the Senn Momentum that much, so I wonder how the T51p is and certainly the combination with the A200p. I use the latter most with my Android device, the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet. My iPhone 5s doesn´t benefit that much as the Dac has the same sound signature. I belong in the same categorie , the best possible sound for a rather acceptable budget.The only player I would think of buying might be the Sony ZX1, if it is possible to stream Wimp on it.

Apologies for getting OT, but I want to answer the question asked.

For headphones I mainly use the T51p since I feel they have the nicest separation.

Sometimes I do pull out the BW P5 but occasions are getting rarer. They are just too mushy in comparison. Moreover they fit on my ears just too tightly. (Still can't understand why I purchased them - must have been the nice design and great build (except for the flimsy cable)).

I also have the Beats Studio as a Gen1 but hardly use them at all. Mainly for some videogaming or deep hip hop. Like the P5, they are mushy but there are situations (and music) where on the other hand I actually can enjoy them. And their build & quality is just bad - you better handle them like raw eggs and avoid any bending.

The T51p clearly have the widest stage and best seperation of these 3. Even more when using it with the A200p. I must say though that I consider them a little unresponsive with low bass sometimes. Like the Beyer, the P5 and the Studio both win significantly when attached to the A200p (compared to the regular HTC One output). The Beats even more than the BW.

As for IE, I sport the QS20 which I love badly because of their NC and perfect fit. They are not differented well but absolutely ok for my demand. Especially since I can listen on low volumes when at work induced by the NC. I'm aware of the many bose-haters around but personally for me, that probably was one of the best 300$ investment ever.

My latest purchase was the Sony XBA-H3 some weeks ago and I'm still evaluating them, I should say. For now, I'm massively impressed when in combination with the A200p. Based on some reviews I was concerned they were too much of a bass bomber. But they are not to me. I find them well balanced with nice mids and warm hights too. They are not what I'd describe as neutral or analytic - well in comparison to the QC20, they definitly are :)  - but they sound "friendly" and powerful to me. The one big negative aspect for me is how they fit & stay in my ear. Not good. And when I use the foamed buds, I feel like losing some details in sound. And the second one is that it seems like they were extreme in pointing out bad data quality. Especially in the highs.

This brings me back to topic, finally

I really wonder whether the SQ of the A200p is on par with the ZX1 and the gain is not worth the investment. Nobody has a comparison ? I would love to evaluate it myself, but there is no ZX1 available / showcased anywhere I know of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back