Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jun 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #5,791 of 7,711
  it looks like the Euro ZX1 might not be 'capped' as there shouldn't be any volume differences between models, I will reiterate that there are no differences between the Japanese ZX1 & F887.

[snip!]

OK so far we have 1x saying no difference, and we have 1x saying yes there is a difference.

Q: these days DAPs, for better or for worse, their SQ isn't based solely on h/w. So the question is do they both have the same level of firmware? If not, which one is newer and how old was the old one updated? 

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #5,796 of 7,711
I can confirm that the volume boost trick (force stopping the "Sound Enhancements" app) still works in firmware 1.11 on my ZX1. Though with my XBA-H3's I prefer the sound signature without the volume boost trick, whereas with my TF10's I preferred the sound with the trick.

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #5,797 of 7,711

OK so far we have 1x saying no difference, and we have 1x saying yes there is a difference.

Q: these days DAPs, for better or for worse, their SQ isn't based solely on h/w. So the question is do they both have the same level of firmware? If not, which one is newer and how old was the old one updated? 

The firmware is different between the two devices but I have the latest on both (1.11 for ZX1, and 1.21 for F886)

It is hard to tell if there is a volume cap, because although there is a volume difference it isn't like double the volume. I would need a Japanese ZX1 to evaluate that. Perhaps it has a "better" cap than the F886

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #5,798 of 7,711
  Quick question. On the F886/887 the Walkman logo at the bottom right lights up whenever you turn the screen on. On the ZX1, it does not seem to light up. Is this correct?

Sorry to repeat this question, but I just want to make sure the ZX1 is functioning correctly. Is the Walkman logo just below the screen (bottom right), meant to light up when you are charging or turn the screen on? It does do this on the F886, but it is not doing that on my ZX1.

Jun 25, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #5,799 of 7,711

Sorry to repeat this question, but I just want to make sure the ZX1 is functioning correctly. Is the Walkman logo just below the screen (bottom right), meant to light up when you are charging or turn the screen on? It does do this on the F886, but it is not doing that on my ZX1.

Nope, the walkman logo on my ZX1 does not light up either, so I assume that our sets are working just fine :)

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #5,803 of 7,711

You are most welcome, on a side note however, I would love for the walkman logo to light up though, I think it would be pretty nice. Wasted lol

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #5,804 of 7,711
I did some more tests between the UK F886 and UK ZX1, and the findings I made earlier are consistent, repeatable and don't need any kind of blind listening test.....its ridiculously obvious.

1) The ZX1 has more bass presence. I am not sure if this is because the amplifier is better or simply that it is bass boosted! But you don't need to convince yourself of the difference, it is plainly obvious.
2) When volumes are set to max on both units, the volume is quite similar. However, at 2/3 volume on both units, there is an obvious increase in volume on the ZX1. It is as if they have non-linear volume scales. This would suggest the UK ZX1 does still have a volume cap but perhaps only a slightly more generous one combined with a different volume scale
3) When you connect the AKG 3003i to the headphone socket of the ZX1 with no music playing, you hear a short hiss for about 1.5 seconds. When connecting the same IEMs to the F886, no burst of hiss is there

Because of point 3, it would suggest the electronics are different between the units. And point 1 could be a forced EQ on the ZX1 or once again due to a different amplifier circuit. Or it could be as OK-Guy suggested, that the crippling EU volume cap is affecting the whole sound, and not just limiting the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back