Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jun 22, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #5,762 of 7,711
Does anyone know where to get the Sony PHA-2 bundled short cable for connection from the ZX1 to PHA-2? I have been searching high and low for the cable and I cannot find it online nor at the local sony retail stores. Thanks in advance!

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #5,764 of 7,711
Guys I auditioned the zx1 the other day. All this while I have been using my HTC one m7 as my main source, I also have a rockboxed classic. Before auditioning the zx1 I had high expectations because I never tried a proper Dap like x3,x5 or dx50 or dx90 even so I always thought they would sound significantly better than my HTC one. But turned out I wasnt blown away with the sound. They sounded normal to me. Is it because my HTC one is actually a good source too? Or I'd have to spend more time with the zx1 to really appreciate the sound and signature.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #5,765 of 7,711
  Guys I auditioned the zx1 the other day. All this while I have been using my HTC one m7 as my main source, I also have a rockboxed classic. Before auditioning the zx1 I had high expectations because I never tried a proper Dap like x3,x5 or dx50 or dx90 even so I always thought they would sound significantly better than my HTC one. But turned out I wasnt blown away with the sound. They sounded normal to me. Is it because my HTC one is actually a good source too? Or I'd have to spend more time with the zx1 to really appreciate the sound and signature.

Probably stating :-

1) what earphones/headphones
2) what music format (lossy/lossless, MP3, AAC, FLAC, etc.)

Sharing your experience in audio will also help us understand where you're coming from.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #5,766 of 7,711

Probably stating :-

1) what earphones/headphones
2) what music format (lossy/lossless, MP3, AAC, FLAC, etc.)

Sharing your experience in audio will also help us understand where you're coming from.

Was using my Ostry KC06 that I brought with me and auditioned 1964 v6-stage and v8 universals.
On my HTC one I use poweramp as it supports lossless files. Most of my files are flacs and a few vinyl flacs too.

On the zx1, its the shops audio so I listend to as much of flacs and dsd as possible. But I wasnt using an amp like pha2 or so, that would probably sound better I guess. I will have to go audition again plus try the dx90 too because I am looking for a DAP for my first set of customs I am saving for too.

Should I just buy a amp like pha2 or pure ii for my HTC one as that would be economicly friendly I think.

Ps. I am new to this hobby

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #5,767 of 7,711

I am not surprised, as I listen mainly with iPhone 5s and HiFi Streaming from Wimp as Music sourse, the differences are there but in relation  to the Price minimal, burt that is high End, for a Little improvement you pay a lot of Money, if it is worth or not you have to deci´de yourself.I use Senns IE80 and GradoGR10,depending on the Music style,so the Sony didn´t blew me away either compared to my set up.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #5,768 of 7,711

I am not surprised, as I listen mainly with iPhone 5s and HiFi Streaming from Wimp as Music sourse, the differences are there but in relation  to the Price minimal, burt that is high End, for a Little improvement you pay a lot of Money, if it is worth or not you have to deci´de yourself.I use Senns IE80 and GradoGR10,depending on the Music style,so the Sony didn´t blew me away either compared to my set up.

I have read users being very happy with their iphone 5s as their portable source, I am sure its a good source probably better than my HTC. But my HTC one is not the new one. Its a year old the m7 model. Maybe because I have been using it for long and is used to how it sounds. I think somehow I need to spend more time with a new DAP to appreciate it properly. But my budget is very restricted, I really want to get my first set of customs so I may not afford a good DAP especially plus an amp to make it sound better.

I may have to utilise my current HTC one or rockboxed classic for now and save for an amp like pure ii l8r.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #5,769 of 7,711
  Was using my Ostry KC06 that I brought with me and auditioned 1964 v6-stage and v8 universals.
On my HTC one I use poweramp as it supports lossless files. Most of my files are flacs and a few vinyl flacs too.

On the zx1, its the shops audio so I listend to as much of flacs and dsd as possible. But I wasnt using an amp like pha2 or so, that would probably sound better I guess. I will have to go audition again plus try the dx90 too because I am looking for a DAP for my first set of customs I am saving for too.

Should I just buy a amp like pha2 or pure ii for my HTC one as that would be economicly friendly I think.

Ps. I am new to this hobby

Earphones/headphones generally (but not always, there are exceptions) play the biggest part. Cables, DACs, amps ( and especially if we're talking about portable products) are, again in general (but not always), secondary. Being familiar with the tracks is also an important factor when you're comparing your HTC to the ZX1.

When I first started audio seriously I didn't hear much difference between my iPhone 4S & Fostex HP-P1! I had to concentrate really hard to hear what everyone was raving about. Over months & years I learned, upgraded, learned, upgraded, learned, changed my tastes, learned, settled for what I liked, and still learning.

Personally it took me awhile that to understand that all the discussion, agreements & debates, arguments & fanboyism had to do with the subtleties.

You're on the right track trying though and demoing various products to see what you like.

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #5,770 of 7,711

Earphones/headphones generally (but not always, there are exceptions) play the biggest part. Cables, DACs, amps ( and especially if we're talking about portable products) are, again in general (but not always), secondary. Being familiar with the tracks is also an important factor when you're comparing your HTC to the ZX1.

When I first started audio seriously I didn't hear much difference between my iPhone 4S & Fostex HP-P1! I had to concentrate really hard to hear what everyone was raving about. Over months & years I learned, upgraded, learned, upgraded, learned, changed my tastes, learned, settled for what I liked, and still learning.

Personally it took me awhile that to understand that all the discussion, agreements & debates, arguments & fanboyism had to do with the subtleties.

You're on the right track trying though and demoing various products to see what you like.

Yup it definitely feels like that. Maybe my ears aren't trained as most of you guys here. This is a very expensive hobby lol You just learn more as you go and listen to new stuff, upgrading etc.

I always have that bit of curiosity to know how people really hear stuff. Read reviews and see what the general consensus are of the products and audition them myself to see people's perspective.

Perhaps I should really audition the zx1 again and dx90.

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #5,771 of 7,711
  Yup - mine too.  Sending it back to Sony UK - who can't replace it as no stock and can't even back-order it?!?!?!?  Waited months for it in the Sony UK store and got to spend around 4 hours with it before it bricked.

Sony UK had a reasonably sized delivery of these on Thursday last week so I am not sure why they are telling you that. In fact it shows as in-stock on their website still today!

EDIT: A technique I normally use in such situations is to buy another unit and return the first for a full refund which Sony allow for 30 days after purchase.

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #5,772 of 7,711

In portable audio especially the difference in source is not really that much. I'm not surprised at these findings. There are increases in quality but very small increases

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #5,773 of 7,711
In portable audio especially the difference in source is not really that much. I'm not surprised at these findings. There are increases in quality but very small increases

Hmm....I am not sure I agree with that. I have an HTC One M7 and the Sony F886 (which sounds near identical to the ZX1). Of course to compare you must strip the sound back to its pure basics....without any kind of clear audio, or beats audio enhancements. I am using both with the AKG K3003i earphones which admittedly are in high-end territory for IEMs but they are very revealing of the differences. The M7 sounds like it is lacking in dynamics and compared to the F886 it sounds like a thin layer of cloth has been placed over the sound resulting in some of the detail being lost as well. This is not a subtle difference but a fairly considerable one. I am not for one second saying the M7 sounds bad, but with a revealing IEM, it is simply not at the same level as the Sony. I also have a Galaxy Note 3 and that has quite a similar sound do the M7 but at least in European versions has a severely crippled volume level which often has me maxing out the volume level!

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #5,774 of 7,711

Hmm....I am not sure I agree with that. I have an HTC One M7 and the Sony F886 (which sounds near identical to the ZX1). Of course to compare you must strip the sound back to its pure basics....without any kind of clear audio, or beats audio enhancements. I am using both with the AKG K3003i earphones which admittedly are in high-end territory for IEMs but they are very revealing of the differences. The M7 sounds like it is lacking in dynamics and compared to the F886 it sounds like a thin layer of cloth has been placed over the sound resulting in some of the detail being lost as well. This is not a subtle difference but a fairly considerable one. I am not for one second saying the M7 sounds bad, but with a revealing IEM, it is simply not at the same level as the Sony. I also have a Galaxy Note 3 and that has quite a similar sound do the M7 but at least in European versions has a severely crippled volume level which often has me maxing out the volume level!

This is good to know. But surely I cant afford the akgs 3003 so it wouldnt be a problem for me? lol

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #5,775 of 7,711

I have my ZX1 with no sound enhancement or anything and still don't find a huge difference over my phone. I volume matched with my phone and ZX1 and I used the UERM and JH13 FP and although there is a difference it is a very small one. 

However if you hear it then that's all that really matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back