Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
May 7, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #5,206 of 7,711
Thanks! I did that with my existing albums. The rest I'll have to manually embed in Itunes, there's probably no elegant way around it. 
One more question, I'd like to get rid of many pre-installed apps and widgets. They probably can't be uninstalled, but they give me a warning when I press disable (other apps might misbehave). 
Can it be ignored? I don't need things like google+, I bought the zx1 only as a music player.
(headphones are the nad hp 50 by the way, can't wait to test the pair!)

I had the same album art problem as you - I believe the issue is that most apps don't embed the art into the ID3 tags, they just download art to the folder. There's an app I ended up using called AudioTagger, it worked ok, it searches for album art on google and embeds into the ID3 tag. Still not a "press one button and fix all my art" solution, but it gets the job done.

May 7, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #5,207 of 7,711
I am having a similar issue in regards to album art.... my problem is not directly with the ZX1 showing the cover art as this is fine but does anyone who possibly owns a Oppo BDP105 Bluray player who might use the ZX1 via usb connection through the media player on the Oppo when it is displayed on the TV it shows the album art but for some reason and this is a majority of them even though the Walkman shows all album art fine when it is been displayed on the TV screen through the Oppo it does not show any album art even though it will still show all the other relevant tag info like artist, track, album etc.  

This would normally feel like a tagging problem of some kind but if it was the Walkman showing these symptoms but the Walkman already has the album art installed okay why does the Oppo only show a select few (at a guess 2-3 in 10 albums show art out of equivalent of approx 1,400 albums worth of art)  

Grateful the Walkman shows art all okay but frustrating when using the ZX1 as a mini jukebox on shuffle through the Oppo only shows a blank cover most of the time, yet when my old X series was hooked up it showed all album art on the Oppo just fine.  

Only difference being is my old X series was WAV files and the ZX1 is now all FLAC files if this somehow makes a difference?  

Praying there is someone who has a ZX1 & Oppo who is a tech head and just happens to use their ZX1 as a jukebox through the Oppo using usb connection (got to be someone...?!)

May 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #5,209 of 7,711
  I used an Apple mac script from dougscripts.com to re-embed artwork.  It fixed 99% of my collection,

Could you post more info on this?

I'm using poweramp and it auto downloaded album art. But I can't fix artist sorting in it. I like to keep compilation albums together when I sort by artist. I edited the properties using media go on a PC but power amp won't accept them. I wish there was a mac option to edit properties on the ZX1.

May 8, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #5,210 of 7,711
Anyone have a clear Ray-Out case? Just wondering if it's truly clear and if you can see the brushed aluminum. link:

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=281315642615

TIA.

Also, I received tracking for my CF finger ring, it was shipped domestically (Cali), I should have no later than Monday.

May 8, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #5,211 of 7,711
  You got it all mixed... I think I need to make a video of this but first I'll try with text :)

So, you get your nice and shiny SBH-52:
1.- Download the Smart Connect application from the play store.
2.- Download the SBH-52 application also from play store, both applications are from sony.
3.- Look for "Sound About" in the play store, there is the free and trial version I think and there is also the paid version, paid version is needed since it includes the option that we are interested in.

4.- Pair the SBH-52 via NFC with the F886 or ZX1, with this, all the sound will be redirected towards the SBH-52, of course we don't want this.
5.- Open the Sound About application, then on "Media Audio" Select "Wired Headphones", this will force all audio to go towards the wired headphones, regardless if the SBH-52 is paired or not, as I said before, even if you have the PHA-2 DAC, it works by sending the audio towards the DAC and the SBH-52 is only left with the bluetooth buttons capabilities.
6.- If you don't use hi-res music, use poweramp, which includes an extended set of controls for the bluetooth buttons (like advancing folder with double click), I personally use it far more than the Walkman application, which is now reserved only for hi-res music (Now if they expanded their SBH-52 pluggins to include full Walkman control, ala hi-md... this player would become officially the king of the DAPs).

Notes:
-NO ROOT WHATSOEVER REQUIRED.
-You can pair the SBH-52 to other device, however, if the F886 or the ZX1 isn't set as master, then album and track information isn't shown on screen. (Yes... you can have it paired to both F886/ZX1 and answer calls with it, or at least I tried that function with a RAZRi (xt890) phone).
-It is needed the application of Smart Connect to show any kind of text in the screen, in fact, when on master, the Smart Connect application shows "SBH-52 Connected" whilst at the same time on the second paired device it simply shows "SBH-52 Disconnected", but bluetooth connection is still on, just not the advanced features of the SBH-52.
-The SBH-20 should also work, but of course it doesn't have screen (which at the same time may not need the Smart Application at all)
-The sound hardware of F886 or ZX1 (or PHA-2) is used with this method, bluetooth audio is discarded by the Sound About application totally.
-Volume control on the SBH-52 doesn't work, however volume can still be controlled by either the physical buttons of the device or the volume knob of the PHA-2, this allows you to don't see the screen at all, or at least that's my case.
-Battery consumption is nill, in both the device and the SBH-52, I have keept them for one week straight without even turning them off, with the PHA-2 however is another story... but that's a well known side effect of using this DAC.

Happy pairing.

I have acquired an SBH-52, and have used the quoted instructions to successfully pair it to both my phone and the ZX1, works a treat! Now the ZX1 can stay in its Sony sleeve and my phone can stay in my pocket 
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #5,212 of 7,711
Not to offend or anything i was just wondering why you guys are taking the SBH52 approach as well?

I understand it is a neat remote controller for both the ZX1 and your phone however it makes you carry another device. You normally check your phone so it would not be too hard to pick up calls and if your zx1 isnt wrapped neatly in the case then you would take it out also to change songs as the headphones are wired into that device directly anyways...

Its pretty good but the functionality isnt worth the extra device. Obviously unless you do have a big phone or you dont take out your phone then its pretty neat but if you use your phone often then the SBH52 is just purely to control the zx1 (which already has hard buttons on the side)

Maybe some other cool features im not understanding in this setup?

May 8, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #5,213 of 7,711
Not to offend or anything i was just wondering why you guys are taking the SBH52 approach as well?

I understand it is a neat remote controller for both the ZX1 and your phone however it makes you carry another device. You normally check your phone so it would not be too hard to pick up calls and if your zx1 isnt wrapped neatly in the case then you would take it out also to change songs as the headphones are wired into that device directly anyways...

Its pretty good but the functionality isnt worth the extra device. Obviously unless you do have a big phone or you dont take out your phone then its pretty neat but if you use your phone often then the SBH52 is just purely to control the zx1 (which already has hard buttons on the side)

I do happen to own an Xperia Z Ultra, probably the biggest phone around, which makes answering calls a little tricky, so I was planning to pick up an SBH-52 anyway. The fact that it can also act as a music remote means I can leave my ZX1 in my bag and my Xperia Z Ultra in my pocket to and from work. I agree though, it's an extra device and completely unnecessary for most people I guess.

May 8, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #5,214 of 7,711

It is a wireless controller that let's you wirelessly control two devices. Another device indeed, but if you are like some of us that like to keep both z ultra and F886 +pha2 in the backpack without looking at them it is easily a welcome addition.

May 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #5,215 of 7,711
I ordered a Sigma cleaning cloth for my ZX1 because well.. you only have to look at the screen and it's already dirty. Don't know what Sony did with the coating, but don't have this problem nearly as much with my Nexus 5. I'm using the cloth now and wow, very easy to clean and the screen looks and feels as if came new out of the box. So, highly recommended if you didn't have one already. 
smile.gif

I bought it here (I'm Dutch) : http://www.smartphoneshop.nl/product/68507/sigma-microfiber-reinigingsdoekje.html

http://www.sigmabenelux-webshop.com/nl/accessoires/micro-fiber-lensclothes.html

UK webshop:

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/sigma-microfibre-lens-cleaning-cloth-31x31cm.html

These ones are the same I think, but small version:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/product/micro-fiber-lens-cleaning-cloth-small

http://http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-Cleaning-Cloth-Micro-Fibre/dp/B00506HD2M/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1399568032&sr=1-7&keywords=cloth#productDescription

Also ordered the camel leather case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261469536493?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I'll share the pics here when it arrives. 
smile.gif

May 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #5,216 of 7,711
  I ordered a Sigma cleaning cloth for my ZX1 because well.. you only have to look at the screen and it's already dirty. Don't know what Sony did with the coating, but don't have this problem nearly as much with my Nexus 5. I'm using the cloth now and wow, very easy to clean and the screen looks and feels as if came new out of the box. So, highly recommended if you didn't have one already. 
smile.gif

I noticed this too. Sony seems to really have skimped on the oleophobic coating on the screen. A good wipe on my pants will easily clean my phone's screen, but this one is persistent and almost requires a microfiber cloth.

May 8, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #5,217 of 7,711
Hi all,
I bought a Fiio L5 cable to try line out into my O2 amp. The ZX1 line out volume was very quiet relative to my iPod Classic line out and I needed amp gain switched on to reach listening levels with Sennheiser Aluminium's. I then tried the ZX1 headphone output instead which at full volume was noticeably louder and allowed me to switch off the amp gain. Am I doing something wrong? I have all equaliser setting etc switched off. Is there any volume control for line out hidden in the settings? The line out is very quiet.
Thanks
Paul

May 9, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #5,218 of 7,711
The Sony Zx1 sounds superb even with my cheap Yamaha in-ears. with the NAD hp 50, it is spectacular! Now I'll be searching for higher grade in-ears. My favourites are Shure 425, though they are an investment as well. Does anybody have this combination?

May 9, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #5,219 of 7,711
Hi all,
I bought a Fiio L5 cable to try line out into my O2 amp. The ZX1 line out volume was very quiet relative to my iPod Classic line out and I needed amp gain switched on to reach listening levels with Sennheiser Aluminium's. I then tried the ZX1 headphone output instead which at full volume was noticeably louder and allowed me to switch off the amp gain. Am I doing something wrong? I have all equaliser setting etc switched off. Is there any volume control for line out hidden in the settings? The line out is very quiet.
Thanks
Paul

Nothing wrong with your line out.  I have  to set my Pico Power on high gain as well when using a line out.

May 9, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #5,220 of 7,711
  Nothing wrong with your line out.  I have  to set my Pico Power on high gain as well when using a line out.

Similar here with the PHA-2.  Using the Ety er4s I need to have high gain and volume around the 60% mark.  Does however sound immense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back