Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
May 9, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #5,221 of 7,711
  Nothing wrong with your line out.  I have  to set my Pico Power on high gain as well when using a line out.

Thanks. Odd why the line out level is so obviously lower than headphone out at max volume. I could not hear any difference in quality with line out vs headphone out, so will try and find a decent mini cable to use instead. I know Sony 'beefed up' the wiring to the headphone socket, but don't know if similar for line out socket, so wonder if headphone out is as / more favourable. Anyone spotted any obvious difference in sound?
thanks
Paul

May 9, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #5,222 of 7,711
  Thanks. Odd why the line out level is so obviously lower than headphone out at max volume. I could not hear any difference in quality with line out vs headphone out, so will try and find a decent mini cable to use instead. I know Sony 'beefed up' the wiring to the headphone socket, but don't know if similar for line out socket, so wonder if headphone out is as / more favourable. Anyone spotted any obvious difference in sound?
thanks
Paul

I have found using the headphone-out matches the volume of Walkman's using the F887/ZX1 with the PHA-2 (low gain) though the SQ remains pretty much a muchness... using the line-out into the PHA-2 in low-gain makes the SQ slightly airier though nothing major in way of change sound-wise... switching to hi-gain is a different kettle of fish and my N5 IEM's thrive on it, the music has more vim & purpose, the bass also tightens up a tad giving it a more punchy feel when you want it.

I tried the Walkman 'tweak' though it was ok I felt the SQ lacked bass so went back to stock-player... using the F887/ZX1 with the PHA-2 in hi-gain gives a similar SQ but with the added bonus of deep punchy bass... it would be almost perfect but I'm now loving my F887/ZX1 on their own since the update, things are tickety-boo in this household, you could even say I'm spoilt for SQ choice. 

May 9, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #5,223 of 7,711

I have found using the headphone-out matches the volume of Walkman's using the F887/ZX1 with the PHA-2 (low gain) though the SQ remains pretty much a muchness... using the line-out into the PHA-2 in low-gain makes the SQ slightly airier though nothing major in way of change sound-wise... switching to hi-gain is a different kettle of fish and my N5 IEM's thrive on it, the music has more vim & purpose, the bass also tightens up a tad giving it a more punchy feel when you want it.

I tried the Walkman 'tweak' though it was ok I felt the SQ lacked bass so went back to stock-player... using the F887/ZX1 with the PHA-2 in hi-gain gives a similar SQ but with the added bonus of deep punchy bass... it would be almost perfect but I'm now loving my F887/ZX1 on their own since the update, things are tickety-boo in this household, you could even say I'm spoilt for SQ choice.

My O2 amp is 2.5x or 5x gain. With the 2.5x gain and ZX1 line out, I could still listen at max O2 volume without discomfort. On 5x gain, I was back to mid volume, so I guess I'll spend more time determining if I prefer high gain with line out, or low gain with headphone out.

May 9, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #5,225 of 7,711
  Sorry for going off-topic a bit, but does anyone know if the SBH52 would work with a PS3? Google isn't helping much...

Could it be used as a headset/mic for voice? Anyone tried this?

The SBH-52 is really just a headset with bluetooth 3.0, it should work. Advanced features of the SBH-52 can only be used through the smart connect app of sony.

May 10, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #5,226 of 7,711
I've received my ZX1 a couple of weeks ago, and though I would share my impressions.  Firstly, things I don't like: (more to do with the software) not being able to view albums by artist, not being able to add tracks to 'play next', having a Google bar on the main screen. I tried a few different apps for music playback, but they tended to be ugly, feature-heavy and not as great sounding as the Walkman software. I tried the volume trick, but preferred the sound without it activated (I use sensitive IEMs).  I also had problems with displaying all the album art - sorted it out in the end. Things I do like: beautifully engineered, sounds superb, plenty of volume, battery life (so long as you don't spend hours flicking through albums with the screen on bright).  Definitely a keeper - very, very pleased with it.

May 10, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #5,228 of 7,711
  I've received my ZX1 a couple of weeks ago, and though I would share my impressions.  Firstly, things I don't like: (more to do with the software) not being able to view albums by artist, not being able to add tracks to 'play next', having a Google bar on the main screen. I tried a few different apps for music playback, but they tended to be ugly, feature-heavy and not as great sounding as the Walkman software. I tried the volume trick, but preferred the sound without it activated (I use sensitive IEMs).  I also had problems with displaying all the album art - sorted it out in the end. Things I do like: beautifully engineered, sounds superb, plenty of volume, battery life (so long as you don't spend hours flicking through albums with the screen on bright).  Definitely a keeper - very, very pleased with it.

you can turn that off from app settings.

May 10, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #5,230 of 7,711
If it is a widget, can you not just drag it to the 'X' at the top of the screen?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back