Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 15, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #4,786 of 7,711
Does anyone have the USB out cable to connect the ZX1 to am external DAC?
I have that cable and it works fine with my desktop amp. But it doesn't seem to be working on my CLAS -dB. Anyone got any experiences to share or any idea why it does not work on the CLAS? Thanks in advance. :)

Check out the Android Phones & USB DACs
page & you'll find which DAC/Amps would work with the ZX1 :-
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/3640_20#post_10058829

You'll probably have to search ZX1 there as there's more than just the DAC/Amp than the Apex Glacier.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #4,788 of 7,711

Q:  I want to ask about the newly designed full digital amp "S-Master HX".  What has changed by having 4 power source (L/R positive and negative)?

In portable audio it is common for the amp to have a single directional power with one power source, and for those who put in more effort there may be two.  In the ZX1 because we have removed the component called the coupling capacitor just before the headphone output, therefore we have selected to use both the positive and negative to create the signal.
So not only there is the pushing force from the "positive", there is also the pulling force from the "negative" thus resulting in much more control, on top of which there is 4 power source so there is sufficient current being supplied, and the result is more control than what we had before as well as it being extremely powerful.  Because of this design even overhead headphones can be driven properly, as well as preventing the mixing of the L/R channels thus the use of completely separated L/R power source to achieve better stereo separation.
Because "S-Master" is more prone to power source noise compared with analog amps, to ensure the high quality of the power there is an increase of power supply which leads to increase in cost, but we prioritized the sound quality first.

Q. What is the advantage of removing the coupling capacitor?

Sato Hiroaki [Sound Quality Design]
The coupling capacitor is a part which cuts out the DC signal and only letting through the AC signal.  If you are using using either positive or negative directional power, the magnet in the headphone will only move in one direction leading to damage, therefore the coupling capacitor act as a safe guard.  However because the capacitor also acts as a high pass filter, this may lead to the bass level is reduced or phase delayed which is a serious short coming.  
Because of this, "S-Master HX" uses both positive and negative power using 0V as the centre to move the magnet in both up and down directions, therefore the coupling capacitor is not needed.  Due to cost and space on the circuit board this method is usually avoided, but to achieve nice good bass we prioritized the advantage of this set up.   

Thank You! It is very interesting,

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #4,790 of 7,711
Q:  I want to ask about the newly designed full digital amp "S-Master HX".  What has changed by having 4 power source (L/R positive and negative)?

In portable audio it is common for the amp to have a single directional power with one power source, and for those who put in more effort there may be two.  In the ZX1 because we have removed the component called the coupling capacitor just before the headphone output, therefore we have selected to use both the positive and negative to create the signal.
So not only there is the pushing force from the "positive", there is also the pulling force from the "negative" thus resulting in much more control, on top of which there is 4 power source so there is sufficient current being supplied, and the result is more control than what we had before as well as it being extremely powerful.  Because of this design even overhead headphones can be driven properly, as well as preventing the mixing of the L/R channels thus the use of completely separated L/R power source to achieve better stereo separation.
Because "S-Master" is more prone to power source noise compared with analog amps, to ensure the high quality of the power there is an increase of power supply which leads to increase in cost, but we prioritized the sound quality first.

Q. What is the advantage of removing the coupling capacitor?

Sato Hiroaki [Sound Quality Design]
The coupling capacitor is a part which cuts out the DC signal and only letting through the AC signal.  If you are using using either positive or negative directional power, the magnet in the headphone will only move in one direction leading to damage, therefore the coupling capacitor act as a safe guard.  However because the capacitor also acts as a high pass filter, this may lead to the bass level is reduced or phase delayed which is a serious short coming.  
Because of this, "S-Master HX" uses both positive and negative power using 0V as the centre to move the magnet in both up and down directions, therefore the coupling capacitor is not needed.  Due to cost and space on the circuit board this method is usually avoided, but to achieve nice good bass we prioritized the advantage of this set up.   

Thanks for this.

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #4,791 of 7,711
Update is available!

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #4,797 of 7,711

Sorry if I'm being an idiot, but where can I find it..?

Go to Settings > About Device (At the bottom of the list) > System Update

It's a ~200 MB update. Click on download. And then once it's downloaded, click on install.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #4,799 of 7,711
Android 4.4.2 by any chance slipped into the update 
biggrin.gif
 No, ok well DSD is good.

Send me my device Sony!
L3000.gif

Edit: They must have heard me 
biggrin.gif
 'Your order is being shipped.' finally! but wont receive until Tuesday 
rolleyes.gif
 Oh well its coming.

Users who are viewing this thread