Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Apr 7, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #4,711 of 7,711
I had a chance to audition AK240 and Fiio X5 on NY Headfi meet last Saturday. I used my custom Roxannes with it. Wasn't impressed by nether of them. I like my ZX1+Roxanne much better.

Can you please a little more details on why? Many thanks.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #4,712 of 7,711
I didn't spend much time with AK240. It didn't "wow" me like ZX1 did when I listen to it first time. The bass is definitely better on ZX1. Maybe, with different headphones AK240 has better synergy, but at least, to my ears I prefer Roxanne+ZX1 combination. I am glad, I didn't spend 2 and a half grands on AKs.
I think Fiio X5 sounds good for whatever it costs. But UI is super complicated compare to ZX1 and AK240.
If Sony would add DSD playback and put the SD card into ZX1, it would make it one hell of a DAP.

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #4,713 of 7,711
I listened to the ZX1 again yesterday at the NYC meet and it seems like a good medium especially if are using iem's. It does have one big negative which is the lack of memory card support however the price and UI definitely makes up for it compared to the X5. I am tempted by the AK120 but not really sure.

I don't really care about the DSD as I don't have any DSD files but a sd slot would be pretty awesome.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #4,714 of 7,711

If Sony would add DSD playback and put the SD card into ZX1, it would make it one hell of a DAP.

This is supposed to be the ZX2 according to a UK Magazine, and this is what I will be waiting for since I have +200 Gb of Hires files including DSD.  

In the mean time I will use my MacBook PRO & my AK100 to feed my HUGO.

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #4,715 of 7,711

This is supposed to be the ZX2 according to a UK Magazine, and this is what I will be waiting for since I have +200 Gb of Hires files including DSD.  

In the mean time I will use my MacBook PRO & my AK100 to feed my HUGO.

This is all vaporware, no credible information available on this subject. English HiFi mags are notorious for spreading BS just to increase sales.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #4,716 of 7,711
  This is all vaporware, no credible information available on this subject. English HiFi mags are notorious for spreading BS just to increase sales.

It is indeed very possible that they did know anything
wink.gif
, but anyway... it is a logical to guess (hope ?) that the next ZX (there will be a new version...one day) will support DSD and, as a consequence, due to the size of the DSD files, will have a bigger capacity. 

ZX? (DSD + 256 Gb) + HUGO  is all I need 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #4,717 of 7,711
Well I bought the wmc-nwh10 cable for my F886 to use it with the pha -2 but it didn't worked at all. I only managed to get sound once and it cut at certain point and never hear sound again. The supplied hi-res cable works with everything I trow at but the wmc-nwh10 simply refuses to properly connect with the pha2, any ideas why this might be?

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #4,718 of 7,711
Well I bought the wmc-nwh10 cable for my F886 to use it with the pha -2 but it didn't worked at all. I only managed to get sound once and it cut at certain point and never hear sound again. The supplied hi-res cable works with everything I trow at but the wmc-nwh10 simply refuses to properly connect with the pha2, any ideas why this might be?

Hi Vect,

The WMC-NWH10 interconnect is not meant to connect the ZX1 or F886 to the PHA-2. The WMC-NWH10 cable is meant to interconnect the ZX1 or F886 into other Sony hi-res products like the Sony UDA-1 USB DAC. 

For further details, please refer this link (second last post): http://www.head-fi.org/t/680611/new-sony-high-end-dsd-gear-including-a-usb-dac/90

The PHA-2 mini stock cable (from ZX1/F886 port to the dedicated USB port for the afore mentioned DAPs beside the Digital In) is the main cable to play hi-res audio from the ZX1/F886 through the PHA-2. Please refer picture below.

Nevertheless, a long time ago, I had an issue with my PHA-2 ( around page 100-150 in this thread). To cut the story short, I sent the defective PHA-2 unit back; and today, I got the replacement unit... been non-stop listening to the following trio:

ZX1 > PHA-2 > MDR 1R

Unfortunately, the PHA-2 was not able to drive the LCD-3 to the best of its capabilities. But the above shown Trio is simply amazing (MAX Volume at Normal Gain)...even if the MDR 1R itself is far from being considered high-end pair of headphones. Kudos to Sony on this one.

Cheers
Simon T.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #4,719 of 7,711
Btw the stock cable on MDR 1R holds those headphones back. When I was testing them in store I had my ADL iHP35 3.5mm male to male cable (silver plated occ copper) and the 1R sounded considerably better with it. I was surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #4,720 of 7,711
Btw the stock cable on MDR 1R holds those headphones back. When I was testing them in store I had my ADL iHP35 3.5mm male to male cable (silver plated occ copper) and the 1R sounded considerably better with it. I was surprised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some cans really benefit nicely, but others it's hard to even hear the difference. IMO anyway

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #4,721 of 7,711
Ok so after reading quit a bit about the zx1 i decided its the device for me. However there seem to be 2 questions i cant find the answer to. 

First - ok everyone is saying it is a bit low on volume - thats fine for me i dont listen to music loud i just want it defined - however has anyone tested it with mdr-1r since they are 24 ohm how loud is it on that ? And in general what do people mean by not loud - i.e. not jumping over your head (which i dont want anyhow) or being hard to hear it on the bus ?

Second a lot of people are saying there is a circuit problem with the battery ? is that still the case or they fixed it ?

Regards

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #4,722 of 7,711

First - ok everyone is saying it is a bit low on volume - thats fine for me i dont listen to music loud i just want it defined - however has anyone tested it with mdr-1r since they are 24 ohm how loud is it on that ? And in general what do people mean by not loud - i.e. not jumping over your head (which i dont want anyhow) or being hard to hear it on the bus ?

Second a lot of people are saying there is a circuit problem with the battery ? is that still the case or they fixed it ?

Regards

The mdr1r are not hard to drive, I doubt you would need more than 50-60% volume on the ZX1. How loud the ZX1 can go depends on the headphones impedance and sensitivity, for iems in general any more than 50% volume and your ears will be bleeding, as for full size phones, I've found with phones around 60 ohms and under the ZX1 can get plenty loud. People who are saying the ZX1 doesn't get loud are obviously using high impedance phones, which isn't a good idea with the ZX1.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #4,723 of 7,711
@ Vect.

Have you considered trying the Sony Smartwatch 2 as a possible remote for your walkman? It appears that the volume controls are functional with this combo, as there is no bluetooth streaming functionality on board the SW2:

This guy demonstrates media remote functionality at the 4 minute mark:

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #4,724 of 7,711
Hi Vect,

The WMC-NWH10 interconnect is not meant to connect the ZX1 or F886 to the PHA-2. The WMC-NWH10 cable is meant to interconnect the ZX1 or F886 into other Sony hi-res products like the Sony UDA-1 USB DAC. 

For further details, please refer this link (second last post): http://www.head-fi.org/t/680611/new-sony-high-end-dsd-gear-including-a-usb-dac/90

The PHA-2 mini stock cable (from ZX1/F886 port to the dedicated USB port for the afore mentioned DAPs beside the Digital In) is the main cable to play hi-res audio from the ZX1/F886 through the PHA-2. Please refer picture below.

Nevertheless, a long time ago, I had an issue with my PHA-2 ( around page 100-150 in this thread). To cut the story short, I sent the defective PHA-2 unit back; and today, I got the replacement unit... been non-stop listening to the following trio:

ZX1 > PHA-2 > MDR 1R

Unfortunately, the PHA-2 was not able to drive the LCD-3 to the best of its capabilities. But the above shown Trio is simply amazing (MAX Volume at Normal Gain)...even if the MDR 1R itself is far from being considered high-end pair of headphones. Kudos to Sony on this one.

Cheers
Simon T.

Thanks, I was under the impression the cable would work with the F886 and the pha2 but it seems that it isn't the case.

@ Vect.

Have you considered trying the Sony Smartwatch 2 as a possible remote for your walkman? It appears that the volume controls are functional with this combo, as there is no bluetooth streaming functionality on board the SW2:

This guy demonstrates media remote functionality at the 4 minute mark:

As far as I have read that smart watch is even better than the sbh52, however I considered it overkill. It even works without tricks because it is designed to work with Plug-ins which are installed on the host device, which end up controlling it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back