Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 14, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3,721 of 7,711
I don't know if this has been answered or not, but does the ZX1 feature gapless playback?

is that new feature of the stock software with any file format then? on previous walkmans only atrac files worked as pure gapless. failing that a 3rd party app had to be used to get gapless which was a bit of a pain to be honest

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #3,722 of 7,711
Well I just went to price japan and bough the PHA-2, the price differences between that and eBay are null, but at least there I can ask the price marked down.

I will test it with the xperia ultra by digital connection with the H3, then against the F886 and see which one is better.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #3,723 of 7,711

is that new feature of the stock software with any file format then? on previous walkmans only atrac files worked as pure gapless. failing that a 3rd party app had to be used to get gapless which was a bit of a pain to be honest

Alpha... both the ZX1 & F886/7 now play WAV/Flac/Atrac gapless, they also play a couple of Apple formats gapless.

the Z1070/F807 can play WAV/Flac/Atrac but other models it's only WAV/Flac... the firmware was all updated when they allowed Flac playback on Walkmans, hth.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #3,724 of 7,711
  Well I just went to price japan and bough the PHA-2, the price differences between that and eBay are null, but at least there I can ask the price marked down.

I will test it with the xperia ultra by digital connection with the H3, then against the F886 and see which one is better.

if you get one of these from Price-Japan you can connect your Walkman via USB as well.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #3,725 of 7,711
Just wondering is it safe to use a USB charger to charge the ZX1 rather than my laptop?

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #3,727 of 7,711
  I tend to charge mine via USB-electric plug via mains (both WM's & PHA).

Indeed. The voltage is the same for all USB charges, computer ports. The only thing that varies is the available current which can affect how quickly the battery charges. For example, an iPad tends to charge much faster on the Apple supplied adapter or a USB 3.0 port rather than a USB 1.0 port due to available current,

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #3,728 of 7,711
Heard the ZX1 today; only only got to test one song identical to what I had on my F886, 'Blue Rondo a la Turk', so I didn't get the full experience, but two seem quite similar. The ZX1 is a bit better refined on both ends, with more pronounced refinement especially in timbre that comes out cleaner and purer in the treble. The F886 has a bit of the "rough around the edges" treble that makes it sound a notch below the ZX1. Bass is slightly better on the ZX1, but it's not a big difference as I'd hoped. Overall, the presentation of soundstage height/width/depth is more similar than I'd originally anticipated. Can't really make real conclusions without a more in-depth listen, though.

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #3,729 of 7,711

if you get one of these from Price-Japan you can connect your Walkman via USB as well.

But included on the PHA-2 comes a cable that directly connects to the walkman wma port isn't? what's the difference between connecting the walkman that way and using this cable?

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #3,731 of 7,711
  The F886 has a bit of the "rough around the edges" treble that makes it sound a notch below the ZX1. Bass is slightly better on the ZX1, but it's not a big difference as I'd hoped. Overall, the presentation of soundstage height/width/depth is more similar than I'd originally anticipated. Can't really make real conclusions without a more in-depth listen, though.

if the F886/7 hasn't been updated it will seem a little 'rough' as you rightly point out, if you do the firmware update it smooth's out, the F886/7 still loses a tiny bit in the highs & lows but it's minimal.

must admit to agreeing with most of what you said.

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #3,733 of 7,711
  Heard the ZX1 today; only only got to test one song identical to what I had on my F886, 'Blue Rondo a la Turk', so I didn't get the full experience, but two seem quite similar. The ZX1 is a bit better refined on both ends, with more pronounced refinement especially in timbre that comes out cleaner and purer in the treble. The F886 has a bit of the "rough around the edges" treble that makes it sound a notch below the ZX1. Bass is slightly better on the ZX1, but it's not a big difference as I'd hoped. Overall, the presentation of soundstage height/width/depth is more similar than I'd originally anticipated. Can't really make real conclusions without a more in-depth listen, though.

Do you think the extra price is justifiable?

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #3,734 of 7,711
  Do you think the extra price is justifiable?

It depends on what your priorities are, and your expectations of budget. The ZX1 is significantly better built. I can imagine the F880's buttons breaking after a few years, whereas the ZX1's buttons will be serviceable for a very long time. The frame is solid, and the brass 3.5mm plug housing is bulletproof. The rubberized back plate of the ZX1 makes it infinitely easier to hold over the slippery F880.

For SQ, the ZX1 is basically an "idealized" F880 --- Sony has always maintained that stance anyway. In that vein, the ZX1 was never going to be an astronomical jump in SQ over the F880, so if you're going by overall sound quality alone, the extra price was never going to be justifiable. Let's put it this way: if you don't listen to both units carefully, you won't notice much of a difference between the two. Only when you listen carefully do you start to appreciate the improvements on the ZX1.

For me, I'm fine with my F886, because I tend not to listen critically when on the go. I reserve nitpicky listening for the desktop, and I have a capable DAC/amp for that purpose in the Concero HP. Getting the ZX1 over the F886 for me, personally, would really only be a question of ergonomics and build quality. I constantly worry about dropping my F886 because it's so slippery, but I plan on purchasing a nice case for it, so that problem will be mitigated. Thus, there's no real need for me to purchase the ZX1.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #3,735 of 7,711

It depends on what your priorities are, and your expectations of budget. The ZX1 is significantly better built. I can imagine the F880's buttons breaking after a few years, whereas the ZX1's buttons will be serviceable for a very long time. The frame is solid, and the brass 3.5mm plug housing is bulletproof. The rubberized back plate of the ZX1 makes it infinitely easier to hold over the slippery F880.

For SQ, the ZX1 is basically an "idealized" F880 --- Sony has always maintained that stance anyway. In that vein, the ZX1 was never going to be an astronomical jump in SQ over the F880, so if you're going by overall sound quality alone, the extra price was never going to be justifiable. Let's put it this way: if you don't listen to both units carefully, you won't notice much of a difference between the two. Only when you listen carefully do you start to appreciate the improvements on the ZX1.

For me, I'm fine with my F886, because I tend not to listen critically when on the go. I reserve nitpicky listening for the desktop, and I have a capable DAC/amp for that purpose in the Concero HP. Getting the ZX1 over the F886 for me, personally, would really only be a question of ergonomics and build quality. I constantly worry about dropping my F886 because it's so slippery, but I plan on purchasing a nice case for it, so that problem will be mitigated. Thus, there's no real need for me to purchase the ZX1.

Thank you for sharing your thought on F880/ZX1, much appreciated. There are various concern on my side regarding the purchase the ZX1, however, truth be told, I don't really think I need the entire 128gb(which is one reason why the price is high for ZX1). If there is a ZX1 with 32gb alone, no doubt I will be getting that, due to the very minute changed and the outstanding build quality.

Looks like I will be getting the F880, but I would love to decide it after at least trying ZX1... I hope Singapore Sony will be faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back