Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Feb 10, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3,691 of 7,711
hi
long time lurker, first time poster here.

i got a question for those have ZX-1.
my current setup is iPod Classic with portable amp (Pico Slim or C5, depends on my mood) but do you think ZX-1 will be an upgrade in terms of SQ over those setup?

Yes. Massively. I've had your rig (Claasic and Slim, not C5). In their day they were very good. ZX-1 is in a different league.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #3,692 of 7,711
So lately I've been highly enjoying using Sony Music Unlimited with the ZX1's wifi while at work. I'm so digging just finding any music I think of and being able to listen to it... of course via Sony's 320 AAC high quality files and the ZX1's SQ. Very, very enjoyable. In the mood for some classic Pink Floyd, no prob. Bigger battery drain though!

Feb 11, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #3,693 of 7,711
Yes. Massively. I've had your rig (Claasic and Slim, not C5). In their day they were very good. ZX-1 is in a different league.

thanks.
your post convinced me to buy one of these so i just ordered mine
biggrin.gif

should be here by the weekend.

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #3,696 of 7,711
Hmm I'm pretty sure my intruder would perform much better than the amp section of zx1.... maybe the dac in my rig is the limiting factor? How about changing to ipod classic - clas DB - rsa intruder? Does the dac in clas outperform the one in zx1?

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #3,697 of 7,711
I'm very interested in your thoughts on the XBA-H1 pairing with the zx1. I bought a pair in prep for a zx1 purchase and I felt disappointed compared to my MDR-1Rs (see my posts in link below) so I returned them, but have a nagging feeling that maybe they'd perform better in the mids and highs with the zx1. Let's us know!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685463/sony-xba-h1-pictures-and-impressions/30#post_10191741

After using the NWZ-ZX1 and BA-H1 for a couple of days I think I can at least give you an impression of the H1. In short, my impression is that they are really holding the ZX1 back. I suppose for 100 bucks that could be expected, but on the other hand, it makes my cheaper JVC HA-FXT90 sound absolutely BRILLIANT. It's too bad I cannot find the right tips to actually keep that sound when I'm not sitting or lying down completely still, otherwise the FXT90 would be near perfect for me (for now). But I digress.

Maybe the H1 does perform better in the mids and highs compared to how you heard them, but for me it is most definately not enough. Regarding the bass, it's there and what's there sounds pretty good, but for me it doesn't go deep enough it certainly doesn't hit hard enough. This might not be a problem for some, but I think I may have some mild bass head tendencies, so I'm not easily satisfied in the low end department. They do make me curious what the H3 sound like. Not $350 blind buy curious though...

Quote:
Yeah I wonder if I was too hasty returning, I love bass too listening to subfocus, magnetic man and chase and status, but I also listen to classical, trance, heavy metal, so wanted a clearer top end. It may have been that my Hi-MD player and HTC One weren't powering the high impedance of them well enough. Let us know Wnuwk Siphon
wink.gif

Ok, maybe you were a bit hasty
wink.gif
, but I'm inclined to send them back as well. I'm going to give them a couple more days (apparently I have 60 to try them out), because there are some things I like about them - they look pretty good, except for the cable maybe, I like the built quality and they fit (me) really well. I'm hoping they'll open up some more, but I'm not counting on it.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #3,698 of 7,711
Hi
Would much appreciate a response to my previous question.
'I'm contemplating a purchase when available in the UK. Does the ZX1 have a channel balance control?'
I have one ear a bit weaker than the other - so its important to me.
A link to a downloadable user guide would be useful too.
Cheers

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #3,699 of 7,711
  Hi
Would much appreciate a response to my previous question.
'I'm contemplating a purchase when available in the UK. Does the ZX1 have a channel balance control?'
I have one ear a bit weaker than the other - so its important to me.
A link to a downloadable user guide would be useful too.
Cheers

I haven't found one that affects the ZX1 as a whole. However, Poweramp has a left/right balance control. I looked around Neutron but couldn't find one. I'm sure other music player apps have left/right control. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #3,700 of 7,711
  I haven't found one that affects the ZX1 as a whole. However, Poweramp has a left/right balance control. I looked around Neutron but couldn't find one. I'm sure other music player apps have left/right control. 

Thanks mate - much appreciated. It's an 'ah ha' moment for me. It's Android and so other apps are available. Cheers.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #3,701 of 7,711

there's Clear-audio+ (have you tried it out?)... not sure how that works in the great scheme of things but I can't find a L/R balance.

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #3,702 of 7,711

Thanks mate - much appreciated.

Np. Forgot to mention Poweramp is paid for. The other freebie ones I've not tried.

there's Clear-audio+ (have you tried it out?)... not sure how that works in the great scheme of things but I can't find a L/R balance.

I don't use any DSP settings on the ZX1. I don't find any of the sound "enhancements" particularly good. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #3,703 of 7,711
  I don't use any DSP settings on the ZX1. I don't find any of the sound "enhancements" particularly good. 

I'm using it on my F887 as I type, first time in proper use truth be known... using it with Tom Moulton Soul-Remixes, the channels seem to balance out to a more mono'ish presentation, you can't do any adjustments to the SQ, though it's a bit of a hoot to be honest, one to mess about with a bit later.

now lets back to normal as I feel a Led Zep moment coming on... ClearAudio+ off, max bass and max volume on.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #3,705 of 7,711
  Seems like many guys are using this with IEMs... How many of you are using full size cans? Any Thinksound On1 users?

the ZX1-F886/7 are primarily for use with IEM's and easy to drive headphones... I use both my Walkman's with KEF M500's there's about a 5% loss of volume if you max the pot.

You will need a external amp if you got headphones that need a bit of juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back