Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 12, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #3,091 of 7,711
  :shrug:  I'd like to give the ZX1 a try, but it's not available here in the U.S.  For me to buy something blind, I need to be compelled by the objective specs at least (i.e. storage capacity, info about DAC, OI, etc.)...not to say I don't value the impressions of respected members here.  I hate selling things online (total PITA for me...I haven't sold anything on head-fi in years, for example), so buying something, especially something not exactly "cheap" by most people's standards, with the hopes of selling at a minimal loss is not an approach I'm willing to take.

Yup, it is sad that the U.S. is no longer getting any love from Sony Japan.  The ZX1 is really a fine product and I wish that they will introduce it here along with the PHA-2.  Where do you live...maybe there's a ZX1 located near by for you to audition.

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #3,092 of 7,711
Guys what is the price for this player... There are some listed on ebay with free shipping but they are all over $1000 AUD and most over $1100. Do those prices seem reasonable given free shipping ?

Also anyone on my question about it's rhythmic qualities ?

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #3,093 of 7,711
  Guys what is the price for this player... There are some listed on ebay with free shipping but they are all over $1000 AUD and most over $1100. Do those prices seem reasonable given free shipping ?

Also anyone on my question about it's rhythmic qualities ?

Check out pricejapan.com and import from them.  5% markup with excellent service.  

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #3,094 of 7,711

I got mine from Price Japan for $860 AUD delivered with standard EMS, very good service and quick shipping, got it in about 5 work days.

Quote:
  How is the sense of rhythm and drive with this player  ? Does EDM drive along and what about Jazz, how is upright bass ?
Does it make you want to get up and dance ?

EDM makes up most of my music, and I think this is the best DAP out there for it, I definitely can't resist dancing if my environment allows, It has that special quality your looking for mate, you won't be disappointed with this thing!

Jan 12, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #3,095 of 7,711
I also got mine shipped to Australia with Price Japan via EMS. Great service and way cheaper than ebay.

ZX1 sounds terrific for jazz and indeed all acoustic music. Sounds like the upright bass player is standing in the room. In fact everything I've listened to on it sounds fantastic although I haven't tried anything really heavy yet.

I was expecting to like this player but not as much as I do.

Jan 12, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #3,098 of 7,711
US model details just released. Named ZX-1b model
Will have updated Android 4.4.2
Slightly higher rez screen, no details at this stage.
No carry case included although power brick supplied.
All black brushed colour will be available, option.
Everything else will be identical.
Best part same price no increase.
Availability April 1st 2014.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #3,101 of 7,711
  I also got mine shipped to Australia with Price Japan via EMS. Great service and way cheaper than ebay.

ZX1 sounds terrific for jazz and indeed all acoustic music. Sounds like the upright bass player is standing in the room. In fact everything I've listened to on it sounds fantastic although I haven't tried anything really heavy yet.

I was expecting to like this player but not as much as I do.

I got mine from Price Japan for $860 AUD delivered with standard EMS, very good service and quick shipping, got it in about 5 work days.

EDM makes up most of my music, and I think this is the best DAP out there for it, I definitely can't resist dancing if my environment allows, It has that special quality your looking for mate, you won't be disappointed with this thing!

Excellent that's what i wanted to hear.. 

Thanks for responding.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #3,102 of 7,711
Wasn't there some problem locking the signal?
I think you can just lock the device while at the player so that when you unlock it will return to the player rather than home.

Ah that was fixed with a reboot of my ZX1. I actually spent a more extensive test at e-earphone last weekend comparing the PHA-2 & Apex Glacier. No problems with the sync on that occasion.

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #3,103 of 7,711

They will be perfectly fine, will just be on the higher end of the volume adjustment of the ZX1 ( like 70-80% volume).

perfect
smile.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #3,105 of 7,711

Correct. Maybe I've fallen for Sony's marketing but the reality is what they're offering now - the DAP for portability, and I'll have to buy the PHA-2 if I want to drive larger cans. But the all-in-one solution is merely a dream and that's where it ends.

Even if a maker comes up with a small UI-friendly long lasting DAP that can drive IEMs to HD800s and a massively large capacity storage with the necessary power to search & index, users will still find something to complain about - maybe it's shape, or price (no, I'm so not hinting about some other rampage thread going on).

If there's anything disappointing that's related to the ZX1, is that there's been so many people missing out 'cos they're busy complaining about it without even trying it. However as a semi-silent early adopter ZX1 user, I've been kinda naughty sniggering in the background at the complaints 'cos whilst they're furiously typing way about it, I've been thoroughly enjoying it.

I will never have pockets big enough for a player that is like the Chinese offerings and respect goes to Sony to sticking to their principle of what "Walkman" stands for.  Like I said, give it time and you never know, there may be a separate model geared with a big enough amp for those who want it to drive their monster ohm cans.  Not long ago we was all wandering if Sony was ever going to include FLAC in their players! 

It was a very happy Christmas this year been an early adopter of the ZX1 although I never got the time I thought I would get with it, but must of spent 3.5 hours on it last night solid and did not notice how fast the time was, before I knew it the time was 2.30 AM, time for bed!  
  US model details just released. Named ZX-1b model
Will have updated Android 4.4.2
Slightly higher rez screen, no details at this stage.
No carry case included although power brick supplied.
All black brushed colour will be available, option.
Everything else will be identical.
Best part same price no increase.
Availability April 1st 2014.

We have a stand up night up and running on here!   very good. 

I have heard the US version will work below -60C.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back