Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 11, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #3,076 of 7,711
Correct. Maybe I've fallen for Sony's marketing but the reality is what they're offering now - the DAP for portability, and I'll have to buy the PHA-2 if I want to drive larger cans. But the all-in-one solution is merely a dream and that's where it ends.

Even if a maker comes up with a small UI-friendly long lasting DAP that can drive IEMs to HD800s and a massively large capacity storage with the necessary power to search & index, users will still find something to complain about - maybe it's shape, or price (no, I'm so not hinting about some other rampage thread going on).

If there's anything disappointing that's related to the ZX1, is that there's been so many people missing out 'cos they're busy complaining about it without even trying it. However as a semi-silent early adopter ZX1 user, I've been kinda naughty sniggering in the background at the complaints 'cos whilst they're furiously typing way about it, I've been thoroughly enjoying it.

In a total agreement with u Sean. I wish the hater would just give the zx1 a try first before complaining about the lack of memory expansion and the minor shortcomings. IMO, the amp section is plenty powerful enough to drive any iems or lower impedance phones. The memory issues aren't too big of a deal when the transfer rate is plenty fast enough. With the DLNA, users can easily stream additional content from wireless portable hard drive.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #3,077 of 7,711
Thanks, guess that is gonna be a huge playlist for me then. Hope Sony will update the app to fix this. That's the only I miss from my mighty X1050.

If u are not using any form of EQ, give poweramp a shot, as it can play next album automatically non stop. If u are using clear audio then stock player is the way to go,, for me I turn off all EQ, so i am sticking wither power amp, more fluid UI than stock.

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #3,078 of 7,711
When I was trying out third party music player apps for the F806, I compared Poweramp to a few, and found that I like Winamp Pro more. It has EQ with adjustment down into the low bass HZ range, and to my ears sounded a bit better than Poweramp, with both set no EQ. It actually sounded equal with the stock Sony player before the last firmware update (I think stock may have taken a very slight advantage after that update, if I recall correctly, because it improved in clarity after that). I may reinstall it on the ZX1 for kicks and grins.

Edit- I installed Winamp Pro on the ZX1, and it is noticeably worse sounding than the stock player. This is definitely a different result than I had with the F806....

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #3,080 of 7,711
  I think most of us who have the ZX1 are happy with it. There's been a few who sold it after getting it but no real major complaints about it by multiple people. A user replaceable battery or a memory slot would be nice but I'm not really worried about it. It sounds great with everything I've tried it with so far.

Guilty as charged.
biggrin.gif

Anakchan, has the previous reported problem with the HPA2 been resolved? There isn't any firmware update for the ZX1 I believe.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #3,081 of 7,711
Guilty as charged. :D

Anakchan, has the previous reported problem with the HPA2 been resolved? There isn't any firmware update for the ZX1 I believe.
What problem did I report??

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #3,083 of 7,711
What problem did I report??

Wasn't there some problem locking the signal?

might be a weird question. but is there anyway where you can permanently lock the music player as you main menu? which is to mean whenever you unlock the device it will be at the now playing page. 

I think you can just lock the device while at the player so that when you unlock it will return to the player rather than home.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #3,084 of 7,711

I don't know about the rest of the other ZX1 owners but personally for me, I find it hard not to rack up some hours on it 'cos it's my favourite player in my collection. I've already sold my AK120, and thinking if I should sell my Tera, HM-901, & Venturecraft DD/Apex Glacier set. The only thing holding me back is that each one of those have their own purpose.

BTW, GoodVibes's speculation of why the ZX1 may be perceived as sounding a little U-shaped could be due to it sounding dry. 3 weeks later, I'm still not certain if I'd agree if this is the cause.

Correct. Maybe I've fallen for Sony's marketing but the reality is what they're offering now - the DAP for portability, and I'll have to buy the PHA-2 if I want to drive larger cans. But the all-in-one solution is merely a dream and that's where it ends.

Even if a maker comes up with a small UI-friendly long lasting DAP that can drive IEMs to HD800s and a massively large capacity storage with the necessary power to search & index, users will still find something to complain about - maybe it's shape, or price (no, I'm so not hinting about some other rampage thread going on).

If there's anything disappointing that's related to the ZX1, is that there's been so many people missing out 'cos they're busy complaining about it without even trying it. However as a semi-silent early adopter ZX1 user, I've been kinda naughty sniggering in the background at the complaints 'cos whilst they're furiously typing way about it, I've been thoroughly enjoying it.

x2/+1 here. This player has me digging through my music collection on a daily basis. Cliche, yes, but it is that good. Problem is, once I hit play, hours get lost...

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #3,085 of 7,711
How is the sense of rhythm and drive with this player  ? Does EDM drive along and what about Jazz, how is upright bass ?
Does it make you want to get up and dance ?

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #3,086 of 7,711
If u are not using any form of EQ, give poweramp a shot, as it can play next album automatically non stop. If u are using clear audio then stock player is the way to go,, for me I turn off all EQ, so i am sticking wither power amp, more fluid UI than stock.

I haven't tried poweramp yet, but from the ones I've played with - Rocket Player and GoneMAD Music Player, they don't sound as good as the stock. In particular, the vocals are much closer and clearer when played with the stock player, I suppose Sony has done a thing or two to "optimise" the playback. The test was done with all EQ off and obviously Clear Audio+ off (can't stand that bass boost yet).

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #3,088 of 7,711
  might be a weird question. but is there anyway where you can permanently lock the music player as you main menu? which is to mean whenever you unlock the device it will be at the now playing page. 

Not sure that's possible, since unlock always brings you back to the screen you before you lock. For me I just put the player icon in the menu bar (and removed DLNA since I don't use it) so it's just 1 click away.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #3,089 of 7,711
:shrug:  I'd like to give the ZX1 a try, but it's not available here in the U.S.  For me to buy something blind, I need to be compelled by the objective specs at least (i.e. storage capacity, info about DAC, OI, etc.)...not to say I don't value the impressions of respected members here.  I hate selling things online (total PITA for me...I haven't sold anything on head-fi in years, for example), so buying something, especially something not exactly "cheap" by most people's standards, with the hopes of selling at a minimal loss is not an approach I'm willing to take.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #3,090 of 7,711
A perfectly fine strategy, if that's how you need to go about it. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back