Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #3,061 of 7,711
I've sometimes wondered if the mids are a touch recessed... but at the same time think that maybe it is the spaciousness of the rest of the range around the mids... Very hard to say for sure. When I focus on vocals, they don't seem wanting or coming from further away than with the F807, just maybe have more room to breathe? 
Quite early on, I found the ZX1 to be a little U- shaped.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/2040_20#post_10073449

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #3,062 of 7,711
  I've sometimes wondered if the mids are a touch recessed... but at the same time think that maybe it is the spaciousness of the rest of the range around the mids... Very hard to say for sure. When I focus on vocals, they don't seem wanting or coming from further away than with the F807, just maybe have more room to breathe? 

I too also was counter thinking what you was thinking sir as it is from my experience by far the widest sounding portable player I have ever owned and this has been my theory or assumption as well unless anyone else can explain differently but as well as vocals sometimes

I find the guitars I know any other sources just seem to be further away or can be lost a little at times.  it is the only slight grey area for me on what is for me Sony back to doing what they are capable of and maybe then some.    

I am a mid centric fan anyway (there, out of the closet) and thought it might be just me?! (answers on  a postcard) 

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3,063 of 7,711
At least in USB DAC mode it seems to run on USB power. I have it connected to my PC and turned on all day and when I turn it off it will only charge for a few seconds because it's still fully charged. I haven't tried it in Sony-HiRes and iPod mode yet (but then again, that's for mobile use where I usually don't have a power supply)

Thanks for the info, ill compare it as a dac with Meridian and Micro Streamer

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #3,064 of 7,711
Quite early on, I found the ZX1 to be a little U- shaped.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/2040_20#post_10073449

I would say I have not racked up as much time as you guys due been busy over Christmas holidays plus having to re rip my wav files a fresh from cd to media go in flac due to wav tag issues/ album art but would say I have around 15-20 hours under my belt with it.   Maybe needs longer, will be relieved if it settles down in this range or should I say levels out.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #3,065 of 7,711
  I would say I have not racked up as much time as you guys due been busy over Christmas holidays plus having to re rip my wav files a fresh from cd to media go in flac due to wav tag issues/ album art but would say I have around 15-20 hours under my belt with it.   Maybe needs longer, will be relieved if it settles down in this range or should I say levels out.

I don't know about the rest of the other ZX1 owners but personally for me, I find it hard not to rack up some hours on it 'cos it's my favourite player in my collection. I've already sold my AK120, and thinking if I should sell my Tera, HM-901, & Venturecraft DD/Apex Glacier set. The only thing holding me back is that each one of those have their own purpose.

BTW, GoodVibes's speculation of why the ZX1 may be perceived as sounding a little U-shaped could be due to it sounding dry. 3 weeks later, I'm still not certain if I'd agree if this is the cause.

Jan 11, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #3,066 of 7,711

I don't know about the rest of the other ZX1 owners but personally for me, I find it hard not to rack up some hours on it 'cos it's my favourite player in my collection. I've already sold my AK120, and thinking if I should sell my Tera, HM-901, & Venturecraft DD/Apex Glacier set. The only thing holding me back is that each one of those have their own purpose.

BTW, GoodVibes's speculation of why the ZX1 may be perceived as sounding a little U-shaped could be due to it sounding dry. 3 weeks later, I'm still not certain if I'd agree if this is the cause.

Certainly is high praise for the ZX1 then in the same sentence of those players you listed.   

Understand on the "each player  has it's own purpose".   After all, i'm sure you was not one of those who was not disappointed when you found out the ZX1 could not drive bigger load cans and a nuclear power station. (I have a gut feeling Sony may bring out a bigger amped player in addition to the current range if all goes well in time for them)

Have to say I'm not finding it dry with all recordings, like you say after three weeks later with yours....  I will stay patient on that one and give it more time to see how it pans out as I must be lagging behind every one else that is a release day owner.  

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #3,067 of 7,711
I just did a little A/B'ing with the ZX1 and my iphone 5 w/ios7, same exact same song on both... and the mids are in no way at all more recessed than the iphone, thankfully.

And of course the ZX1 pretty handily spanks the ios7 iphone 5 on audio quality (ios7 is reported to have improved SQ nicely on i-devices). Impressive how much more spacious and tactile the sound is. 

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #3,070 of 7,711
  Certainly is high praise for the ZX1 then in the same sentence of those players you listed.   

Understand on the "each player  has it's own purpose".   After all, i'm sure you was not one of those who was not disappointed when you found out the ZX1 could not drive bigger load cans and a nuclear power station. (I have a gut feeling Sony may bring out a bigger amped player in addition to the current range if all goes well in time for them)

Have to say I'm not finding it dry with all recordings, like you say after three weeks later with yours....  I will stay patient on that one and give it more time to see how it pans out as I must be lagging behind every one else that is a release day owner.  

Correct. Maybe I've fallen for Sony's marketing but the reality is what they're offering now - the DAP for portability, and I'll have to buy the PHA-2 if I want to drive larger cans. But the all-in-one solution is merely a dream and that's where it ends.

Even if a maker comes up with a small UI-friendly long lasting DAP that can drive IEMs to HD800s and a massively large capacity storage with the necessary power to search & index, users will still find something to complain about - maybe it's shape, or price (no, I'm so not hinting about some other rampage thread going on).

If there's anything disappointing that's related to the ZX1, is that there's been so many people missing out 'cos they're busy complaining about it without even trying it. However as a semi-silent early adopter ZX1 user, I've been kinda naughty sniggering in the background at the complaints 'cos whilst they're furiously typing way about it, I've been thoroughly enjoying it.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #3,071 of 7,711
So from the last post I posted earlier (asking for a comparison between F880 and ZX1). So am I safe to say that both of the model sounds 80% identical? Whereas the 20% is highly dependent on how sensitive the CIEM is?

Well, that definitely or almost kills my need of getting a ZX1

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #3,072 of 7,711
I'm currently listening to the ZX1 with my NT-6 Pros, and I am continuously amazed by the clarity of the IEMs and the combo is great. There are times when some harshness in the treble come out but besides that it is an amazing combination.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #3,073 of 7,711
I just did a little A/B'ing with the ZX1 and my iphone 5 w/ios7, same exact same song on both... and the mids are in no way at all more recessed than the iphone, thankfully.

And of course the ZX1 pretty handily spanks the ios7 iphone 5 on audio quality (ios7 is reported to have improved SQ nicely on i-devices). Impressive how much more spacious and tactile the sound is. 

The zx1 also spanked my samsung note3 real hard..there is no comparison in sq.

Jan 11, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #3,074 of 7,711
I am also comparing head to head with the latest itouch paired with m8 amp... At least the zx1 didn't spank it real hard... M8 put up a pretty good fight.. Both have their strength, I am still deciding, but leaning towards more favorable on zx1 for now..

Report back later.. Need some more burning and further testing..

Jan 11, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #3,075 of 7,711
I think most of us who have the ZX1 are happy with it. There's been a few who sold it after getting it but no real major complaints about it by multiple people. A user replaceable battery or a memory slot would be nice but I'm not really worried about it. It sounds great with everything I've tried it with so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back