Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Jan 8, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2,926 of 7,711
So I ordered some paint protective film that I'm going to use to make my own screen protector. It should be coming tomorrow and I'll use my xacto knife to cut to the ZX1 screen size. Despite paying $800 or so for the dap I just couldn't get myself to pay $15 or whatever it was to buy the screen protector.

I'm happy the ZX1 isn't very picky with what I'm using. It sounds great out of everything I have tried so far. The only thing left is when I get my JH13 back but if my V6 Stage sounds great off of it I have no worries. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #2,931 of 7,711
+1 - Really enjoying the SQ. It compares quite well too both the AK120 and the HM-901. I'm glad I took the high road and opted for more battery life and an incredibly fluid UI. Loving the SE5 combo. 

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,932 of 7,711
  +1 - Really enjoying the SQ. It compares quite well too both the AK120 and the HM-901. I'm glad I took the high road and opted for more battery life and an incredibly fluid UI. Loving the SE5 combo. 

I can really see why people sold their AK120s for this. This is amazing...

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #2,934 of 7,711
  Used to have the old SE530's and loved them and do wonder how the SE846 improves on my old SE530's in sound but can only imagine they would compliment the ZX1 as you don't have to as you obviously have them!   

Only question Mimouille... would you say they justify in performance to the price Shure ask for them as they certainly are a step up from my old SE530 model in price as well as drivers.

I do not have the 846 YET. I cannot really compare with the 530 as I have not listened to the 530 for at least a year (sold them). However, from memory, if you like visceral, impactful bass, sweet mids but an overall well balanced sound (with white filters), you cannot go wrong with the ZX1 - 846 combo.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2,935 of 7,711
  Holy crap. This thing is... AMAZING.

It is indeed amazing. One caveat though, it requires a good pairing, something a bit on the warm side, so no wonder the K10 or SE5 work great. I have tried the NT6 and 1plus2 which are more on the bright side. The result is not bad by any means, but quite bright and fatiguing. So my conclusion is:

ZX1 + warm / neutral-warm iems + any type of recording = eargasm
ZX1 + bright iem + good recording = very detailed but fatiguing
ZX1 + bright iem + bad recording = total ear rape

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #2,936 of 7,711
i have my k10 paired with this as well and ive finished burning it in for 100+hours.

with my hydra 8core cable, its more refined throughout the spectrum. the bass tightened and its such quality that made me go wow.

the trebs that i found a little harsh were tamed.

the mids are as lush as ever and i think the overall sound became smoother as well. the soundstage is impressively wide with a nice depth to it.

i have zero fatigue and i dont hear any hiss either.

i had the sony 1070 and it had hiss so i got rid of it.

i decided to get this over the AK120 for the purpose of UI and syncronisation with my itunes (transcoded to ALAC)

overall i prefer the ZX1 against the AK120, gotta love them hardware buttons and the sound discrepancies to my ears are next to none.

the cost savings alone allowed me to get a better cable!

really loving my setup now.

Jan 8, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,937 of 7,711
  The clear audio + is kind of like the mega bass switch in Discman but a much much more improved version... Bass goes up 3 stop, treble goes up 3 stops, sound stage expanded, instrument separate further apart, unfortunately I find the vocal becomes compressed by the up treble and bass.. . Similar to megabass but again much much better than mega bass

In other words, with clear audio+, my 1p2 IEM sounded like senn IE800..

clear audio+ sounded to me like some kind of well tuned compressor. and depending on the music played it was great or not great at all.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #2,939 of 7,711
You pair it with k10, don't you? Can you give some impressions about this couple, I'm still looking for a dap to pair with mine.

There is so much detail to the K10-ZX1 combo I didnt realize I was missing some elements in my Audioslave CDs... Amazing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back