Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
May 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #5,161 of 7,711
I must say listening to ♫♫ I'm forever blowing bubbles ♫♫ on my F887/PHA-2 & N5's is kinda awesome today... :tongue_smile:

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Next season will be a different story! :wink:

May 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #5,162 of 7,711
Haha Warrior, I wish I had the money for that :)

No, the FiiO X5, married to the E12, £150 less for both units than the ZX1 on its own, without amp (so, even if the ZX1 sounds better technically, it appears its Achilles heel is the HP out)

May 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #5,163 of 7,711
Personally, I feel zx1 needs an amp. I wouldn't be as happy without it. I used it at the gym yesterday without the amp, definitely noticed the difference. I was checking out X5 too, but I just love the look of the Sony, along with Android.

May 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #5,164 of 7,711
Yes, the ZX1 and PHA2 have a really nice look to them, cannot deny.

Damnit, supposed to be happy with what I have, not lusting after that cast aluminium chassis................

May 3, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #5,165 of 7,711
Can't help getting excited to once again hold that beauty in your hands , right ? =)

Sorry for your lost but congratulations on your WISE purchase ! Hope you will also enjoy its SQ with the new update , please give us some impressions .

I did like the zx1 a lot with my ciems the last time around and see the same happening again. There really are not many daps out there with the sound but also a good ui. I'd say the ak240 is also good but a huge barrier to entry at over 2499 which is nearing how much my Stax rig costs.

May 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #5,167 of 7,711
Yes, the ZX1 and PHA2 have a really nice look to them, cannot deny.

Damnit, supposed to be happy with what I have, not lusting after that cast aluminium chassis................

lol... I feel your pain bro. It really is sexy, that's with reason I purchased it. Plus the Sony amp just goes with that. I'd probably pick that up if I didn't just literally buy an Intruder, then a TWAU V3 balanced cable... I'd have to be nuts to buy another amp. I'm focusing on grabbing a CIEM. Probably K10.

May 3, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #5,168 of 7,711
At the last nyc meet I remember there being a strap thing that does on the bottom of the ZX1 to make it sit flat instead of slanted if you put the ZX1 down. Does anyone know where to get that if I wanted to amp it just in case?

May 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #5,169 of 7,711
Haha Warrior, I wish I had the money for that
smily_headphones1.gif

No, the FiiO X5, married to the E12, £150 less for both units than the ZX1 on its own, without amp (so, even if the ZX1 sounds better technically, it appears its Achilles heel is the HP out)

There's a sound enhancement disable trick which causes a huge bump in output power (just go back a few pages in the thread, it's explained by PPCG-- I have no idea how he figured this out... & it's confirmed to work on the F886/7 as well). But you have nothing available in the way of EQ, or presets, or the like. Just flat. However you get significantly better battery life (at least I do). 

May 4, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #5,170 of 7,711
  At the last nyc meet I remember there being a strap thing that does on the bottom of the ZX1 to make it sit flat instead of slanted if you put the ZX1 down. Does anyone know where to get that if I wanted to amp it just in case?

Uhm , which strap are you talking about ?
http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/cc/cc2af97a_IMG_20131216_193717.jpeg
or this , the 3rd from the left
http://cdn.head-fi.org/c/c2/900x900px-LL-c24cddfa_IMG_20131216_193140.jpeg

If the former , It's included with the PHA-2 , the latter I believe it's included with ZX1 , if not , you can always use some small piece of paper and paint it black or some leather from your belt , or ... jelly , anything could work I think :D

I did like the zx1 a lot with my ciems the last time around and see the same happening again. There really are not many daps out there with the sound but also a good ui. I'd say the ak240 is also good but a huge barrier to entry at over 2499 which is nearing how much my Stax rig costs.

Don't forget that aesthetic simply beats any other gadgets to date , unless you like super ultra mega slim of fragility design or stuff with eccentric look

May 4, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #5,171 of 7,711
Yea. And the pairing of the ZX1 with the Roxanne's are very good as well. I would say better than my RWAK120. You're in good hands there. Nothing to worry about.

Great to know. They arrive on Monday, so I'm waiting with baited breath to see how they compare to my se846.

May 4, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #5,172 of 7,711

There's a sound enhancement disable trick which causes a huge bump in output power (just go back a few pages in the thread, it's explained by PPCG-- I have no idea how he figured this out... & it's confirmed to work on the F886/7 as well). But you have nothing available in the way of EQ, or presets, or the like. Just flat. However you get significantly better battery life (at least I do). 

If you want EQ, use a third-party player from the Play Store.

May 4, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #5,173 of 7,711
Wow, I came here to let some F880 series users know I that I have a spare case for sale... and I came across the sound enhancement disable trick. All I can say is wow... and thank you...

No need to stack with my E12, anymore...
L3000.gif

May 4, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #5,174 of 7,711
No need to stack with my E12, anymore...:L3000:  
Are you saying that the player in its own right is now as powerful as a dedicated amp? Right now, what volume is your ZX1 at? (to get a feel for how loudly you listen).

Your answer to this could be bad for my wallet :wink:

May 4, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #5,175 of 7,711
Are you saying that the player in its own right is now as powerful as a dedicated amp? Right now, what volume is your ZX1 at? (to get a feel for how loudly you listen).

Your answer to this could be bad for my wallet
wink.gif

The volume output would be dependent on the impedance and sensitivity of the earphone. Disabling sound enhancement trick increases the volume by 25-30%. With the sound trick enabled, on my iems and portable earphones (ranging from 16-60 ohm) I can't go above 30-40% of the total volume without destroying my ears (and I like my music loud). So you will be fine with the ZX1 unless you are using high impedance or low sensitivity earphones.

And no, the ZX1 will never be as powerful as a dedicated amp, but as I mentioned, that doesn't matter as it already gets more than loud enough with the right earphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back