Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
May 2, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #5,131 of 7,711
I'm finding it insane that the people which commute daily, don't use smartwatches for music controls. The ZX1 is the only high end DAP that supports that currently. The AK240 pairs fine but it's not accepting music controls for the time being.

I Really enjoyed using my Pebble to control my Iphone 5 -> Theorem 720 Dac/AMP combo, but I've switched to a slimmer, non Bluetooth solution for the summer (Fiio X5). The ZX1 might be my 3rd DAP purchase this year lol.

May 2, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #5,135 of 7,711
Anyone able to transfer files via NFC from their smartphone?

Been tempted to try this, but mine are all flacs, so I haven't wanted to sit around waiting in case it takes forever.

I also switched of NFC on the ZX-1 for battery reasons. If you try it, though, let me know how it goes!

Also, shame the ZX-1 didn't come with USB 3.0 support. It's still a pretty quick transfer via 2.0 from my desktop all things considered, but I've gotten spoiled by the 3.0 speeds on my Galaxy Note 3. 

May 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #5,136 of 7,711
I keep it off, I was just desperate at work yesterday to try this beautiful device. I tried it yesterday, to no avail.

totally agree with USB 3.0, amazing speeds, a noticeable difference. Like you said though, for 2.0 I think it's really fast.

May 2, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #5,137 of 7,711
Impressive... Took the ZX1 off the charger this morning and threw it in my bag. Didn't end up using it at all at work today, but after 11 hrs and 20 min, still has 96% battery.

May 2, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #5,138 of 7,711
So is the player only in Japanese or can you get English on it? 

May 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #5,140 of 7,711
That's great battery life, for sure.

@jamato8-Its in Japanese, however you can select English.

Yup, what warrior said. Just to expand a bit, on first time launch there's some sort of a terms and conditions screen that's all in Japanese, but it only gives you one option at the bottom to select (I'm guessing it's "Agree" in Japanese). The very next screen gives you a language selection.

There are a few Sony-specific apps included stock that are only in Japanese, but I have no idea what they do nor have I found anything missing from my experience with it.

May 2, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #5,141 of 7,711
You don't need an smart watch to control the ZX1, the sbh52 with sound about also does the job even with the pha2 connected

Cool gadget! Actually interested in this. Buddy was showing me this tiny white square Sony clip on that he pairs to his iPhone and SE846 and he said the SQ is not bad at all.

Will rep when I get home, Tapatalk won't let me do it on mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 3, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #5,142 of 7,711
Cool gadget! Actually interested in this. Buddy was showing me this tiny white square Sony clip on that he pairs to his iPhone and SE846 and he said the SQ is not bad at all.

Will rep when I get home, Tapatalk won't let me do it on mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be the SBH20, I had one for a while, but lost it at the gym one time 
frown.gif
 I've been umming and arring about getting the SBH52, its a bluetooth music receiver/controller and a mini handset, so when you have a stupidly huge phone like the Xperia Z Ultra, you can answer calls using the SBH52 instead of it. But that doesn't solve controlling the ZX1 :p I think using an SBH20/52 with the ZX1 would be a waste somewhat however, as you'd be bypassing all the DAC's and stuff inside the ZX1? I've also got a Sony Smartwatch 2, but prefer to keep it synced with my phone, pressing side buttons is not a big deal for me 
tongue.gif
 but it would most probably work.

Also re:
  Yup, what warrior said. Just to expand a bit, on first time launch there's some sort of a terms and conditions screen that's all in Japanese, but it only gives you one option at the bottom to select (I'm guessing it's "Agree" in Japanese). The very next screen gives you a language selection.

There are a few Sony-specific apps included stock that are only in Japanese, but I have no idea what they do nor have I found anything missing from my experience with it.

I didn't have any Jap on mine as far as I remember (though Japanese was one of the options for language), but I bought mine from Sony Australia, so I guess mine might have had english firmware on it...

May 3, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #5,143 of 7,711
  I bought the ZX1 again so should be getting it hopefully early next week. I'm pretty excited to get it again as I've been without a dap for a while.

Can't help getting excited to once again hold that beauty in your hands , right ? =)
Sorry for your lost but congratulations on your WISE purchase ! Hope you will also enjoy its SQ with the new update , please give us some impressions .

May 3, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #5,144 of 7,711

That would be the SBH20, I had one for a while, but lost it at the gym one time 
frown.gif
 I've been umming and arring about getting the SBH52, its a bluetooth music receiver/controller and a mini handset, so when you have a stupidly huge phone like the Xperia Z Ultra, you can answer calls using the SBH52 instead of it. But that doesn't solve controlling the ZX1 :p I think using an SBH20/52 with the ZX1 would be a waste somewhat however, as you'd be bypassing all the DAC's and stuff inside the ZX1? I've also got a Sony Smartwatch 2, but prefer to keep it synced with my phone, pressing side buttons is not a big deal for me 
tongue.gif
 but it would most probably work.

You got it all mixed... I think I need to make a video of this but first I'll try with text :)

So, you get your nice and shiny SBH-52:
1.- Download the Smart Connect application from the play store.
2.- Download the SBH-52 application also from play store, both applications are from sony.
3.- Look for "Sound About" in the play store, there is the free and trial version I think and there is also the paid version, paid version is needed since it includes the option that we are interested in.

4.- Pair the SBH-52 via NFC with the F886 or ZX1, with this, all the sound will be redirected towards the SBH-52, of course we don't want this.
5.- Open the Sound About application, then on "Media Audio" Select "Wired Headphones", this will force all audio to go towards the wired headphones, regardless if the SBH-52 is paired or not, as I said before, even if you have the PHA-2 DAC, it works by sending the audio towards the DAC and the SBH-52 is only left with the bluetooth buttons capabilities.
6.- If you don't use hi-res music, use poweramp, which includes an extended set of controls for the bluetooth buttons (like advancing folder with double click), I personally use it far more than the Walkman application, which is now reserved only for hi-res music (Now if they expanded their SBH-52 pluggins to include full Walkman control, ala hi-md... this player would become officially the king of the DAPs).

Notes:
-NO ROOT WHATSOEVER REQUIRED.
-You can pair the SBH-52 to other device, however, if the F886 or the ZX1 isn't set as master, then album and track information isn't shown on screen. (Yes... you can have it paired to both F886/ZX1 and answer calls with it, or at least I tried that function with a RAZRi (xt890) phone).
-It is needed the application of Smart Connect to show any kind of text in the screen, in fact, when on master, the Smart Connect application shows "SBH-52 Connected" whilst at the same time on the second paired device it simply shows "SBH-52 Disconnected", but bluetooth connection is still on, just not the advanced features of the SBH-52.
-The SBH-20 should also work, but of course it doesn't have screen (which at the same time may not need the Smart Application at all)
-The sound hardware of F886 or ZX1 (or PHA-2) is used with this method, bluetooth audio is discarded by the Sound About application totally.
-Volume control on the SBH-52 doesn't work, however volume can still be controlled by either the physical buttons of the device or the volume knob of the PHA-2, this allows you to don't see the screen at all, or at least that's my case.
-Battery consumption is nill, in both the device and the SBH-52, I have keept them for one week straight without even turning them off, with the PHA-2 however is another story... but that's a well known side effect of using this DAC.

Happy pairing.

May 3, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #5,145 of 7,711
  You got it all mixed... I think I need to make a video of this but first I'll try with text :)

So, you get your nice and shiny SBH-52:
1.- Download the Smart Connect application from the play store.
2.- Download the SBH-52 application also from play store, both applications are from sony.
3.- Look for "Sound About" in the play store, there is the free and trial version I think and there is also the paid version, paid version is needed since it includes the option that we are interested in.

4.- Pair the SBH-52 via NFC with the F886 or ZX1, with this, all the sound will be redirected towards the SBH-52, of course we don't want this.
5.- Open the Sound About application, then on "Media Audio" Select "Wired Headphones", this will force all audio to go towards the wired headphones, regardless if the SBH-52 is paired or not, as I said before, even if you have the PHA-2 DAC, it works by sending the audio towards the DAC and the SBH-52 is only left with the bluetooth buttons capabilities.
6.- If you don't use hi-res music, use poweramp, which includes an extended set of controls for the bluetooth buttons (like advancing folder with double click), I personally use it far more than the Walkman application, which is now reserved only for hi-res music (Now if they expanded their SBH-52 pluggins to include full Walkman control, ala hi-md... this player would become officially the king of the DAPs).

Notes:
-NO ROOT WHATSOEVER REQUIRED.
-You can pair the SBH-52 to other device, however, if the F886 or the ZX1 isn't set as master, then album and track information isn't shown on screen. (Yes... you can have it paired to both F886/ZX1 and answer calls with it, or at least I tried that function with a RAZRi (xt890) phone).
-It is needed the application of Smart Connect to show any kind of text in the screen, in fact, when on master, the Smart Connect application shows "SBH-52 Connected" whilst at the same time on the second paired device it simply shows "SBH-52 Disconnected", but bluetooth connection is still on, just not the advanced features of the SBH-52.
-The SBH-20 should also work, but of course it doesn't have screen (which at the same time may not need the Smart Application at all)
-The sound hardware of F886 or ZX1 (or PHA-2) is used with this method, bluetooth audio is discarded by the Sound About application totally.
-Volume control on the SBH-52 doesn't work, however volume can still be controlled by either the physical buttons of the device or the volume knob of the PHA-2, this allows you to don't see the screen at all, or at least that's my case.
-Battery consumption is nill, in both the device and the SBH-52, I have keept them for one week straight without even turning them off, with the PHA-2 however is another story... but that's a well known side effect of using this DAC.

Happy pairing.

That is awesome! I must have misunderstood epically haha, thanks for that nifty advice, understand perfectly now 
biggrin.gif
 I think the SBH-52 is definitely on my horizon now... If I recall correctly, the SBH-20 didn't need the Smart Connect app. I know the SBH-20 also had awesome battery life, and so far my ZX1 has been on for about 24 hours idle (no time to indulge my ears today so far) and is sitting on 84%, so I'm pretty happy with the battery life on that too. PHA-2 will probably come with time also, especially if it hits the Aussie Sony store 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back