Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 15, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #4,217 of 7,711
Here are some things I experienced that Sony should fix / improve with a software update:
  • After syncing with the PC, a media player background process frequently hangs with 50% CPU use. It needs to be killed manually or the battery is dead after 4 or 5 hours. If your player gets warm, check for this process!
  • The Sony player app does not respect disc numbers. If you have a multi-disc album, the tracks are in the wrong order.
  • No way to select by genre plus album. On an iPod, for example, selecting "All" in the artists list after selecting a genre gives you a list of albums. The walkman software just gives you a useless playlist of all tracks for that genre.
  • Can't exclude song artists from artists view and only show album artists.
  • The folder browsing mode doesn't show cover art which is a pity because it is still the most useful browsing mode, considering the problems and limited features of the database-based browsing
Wow, I'm amazed it doesn't sort any better than that! My DX100 does do multi-disc albums in the right order, but they just display as different albums in the sorting; however when selecting the first, it does play all of them one after another, and in the right order, with the tracks in the right order, not all the #1's together, etc.
I'd love genre plus album, as the iPod does, indeed. I really imagined the Sony Player would get that right.
Similarly, no exclusion of song artists from artist view, unless removed from tags... I wonder if the Calyx M will improve on this. I find it amazing that the iPod's efficient sorting and fluid UI hasn't been equalled all these years later.

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #4,218 of 7,711
  Here are some things I experienced that Sony should fix / improve with a software update:
  1. After syncing with the PC, a media player background process frequently hangs with 50% CPU use. It needs to be killed manually or the battery is dead after 4 or 5 hours. If your player gets warm, check for this process!
  2. The Sony player app does not respect disc numbers. If you have a multi-disc album, the tracks are in the wrong order.
  3. No way to select by genre plus album. On an iPod, for example, selecting "All" in the artists list after selecting a genre gives you a list of albums. The walkman software just gives you a useless playlist of all tracks for that genre.
  4. Can't exclude song artists from artists view and only show album artists.
  5. The folder browsing mode doesn't show cover art which is a pity because it is still the most useful browsing mode, considering the problems and limited features of the database-based browsing

My number one gripe about this player is for the price, the batteries aren't removable. I cant justify the purchase and then 3-4 years down the road, what am I going to do with it? Already 'some' Z walkman owners are searching for replaceable batteries for a product that is 3 years old! From a company that released walkmans & discmans that relied on replaceable battery, I feel any company that comes out with something so expensive should offer the choice of the user to able to replace the battery after the warranty period.

Mar 15, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #4,219 of 7,711
Suddenly I felt guilty to have bought and sold it when peeps are still waiting for it....

A few 2nd hand posting in Hong Kong forums if anyone who can maneuver chinese forums is so inclined to contact these sellers (tho not sure how receptive are these locals are to selling to overseas buyers):
http://www.dcfever.com/trading/view.php?itemID=2452091
http://www.dcfever.com/trading/view.php?itemID=2443850
http://www.dcfever.com/trading/view.php?itemID=2443010
http://www.dcfever.com/trading/view.php?itemID=2435918

Heheh! Thanks for the tip, kkcc! :)

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #4,220 of 7,711
Would you all say that the only need for the pha-2 would be for over the ear type headphones? I just bought the xba40's and curious if I should invest in one. Just got a amazon store card.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #4,221 of 7,711
I use to have the sony xba 4 i loved them and really improve with a decent amp, this may sound strange but I preferred them to my ps1000 Grado headphones, maybe I just prefer in ears

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #4,222 of 7,711
The bass will blow you away with your sony xba 40 in ears with a decent amp, they need loads of drive to get the best out of them

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #4,223 of 7,711
The PHA-2 is an improvement over the sound of my F886, providing a much precise bass. It's power output isn't that much so yeah, is mostly recommended for IEM's, my XBA-H3 likes it quite a lot but I still have room to increase de volume, but I'm good enough as it is. This is with no gain though, increasing the gain should also increase the volume.

Mar 16, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #4,224 of 7,711
Has anybody got the ZX1 to play notifications/alarms via the speacer when a headphone was plucked in? You ask why? Well I go to sleep with headphones so not to disturb my husband but want the player to be my alarm clock in the morning. This works fine with my phone (Note 2) but the ZX1 just gives the notifications/alarms via the headphones regardless of the selections in the apps I tried out.

Thanks
Ilkyway

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #4,226 of 7,711
And how does it sound, Mike? Curious about how the Hugo is with iems

Mar 16, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #4,228 of 7,711
  Has anybody got the ZX1 to play notifications/alarms via the speacer when a headphone was plucked in? You ask why? Well I go to sleep with headphones so not to disturb my husband but want the player to be my alarm clock in the morning. This works fine with my phone (Note 2) but the ZX1 just gives the notifications/alarms via the headphones regardless of the selections in the apps I tried out.

Thanks
Ilkyway

there is an alarm function, don't know how it works as I only use the music-player.

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #4,229 of 7,711

I found that but it does not work as I would like to use it: hearphones plucked in and the alarm via speaker phone. When plucked in the alrarm only is audible via the headphone. 

Anybody else an idea?

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #4,230 of 7,711

I found that but it does not work as I would like to use it: hearphones plucked in and the alarm via speaker phone. When plucked in the alrarm only is audible via the headphone. 

Anybody else an idea?

You need to use "Sound About", when having the headphones plugged into the player the player automatically redirects all audio to them. Sound About allows you to change this, so that the sound goes through the player speaker. It has a widget that allows you to change this on the fly. I use it for my SBH-52 bluetooth headset, so that music doesn't go through the headset and rather goes through the PHA-2. There is a link to the android store just a few pages back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back