Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Mar 14, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #4,186 of 7,711
  Does the ZX1 include the walkman app that is on the latest batch of Xperia phones? (or likely an older version being on older android..)

I ask as I use Music Unlimited and Qobuz and MU through the walkman app is very slick.

I was hoping it was the same or is there a separate sony app to play the flac files.

Been looking on youtube to try and see for myself without much success.

Cheers

you won't need a separate app to use Flac files, it's a standard playback on the ZX1 (hi-res included)

Music-Unlimited is just a click via the icon... not sure about the others as I only use the stock-player & none of the apps.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #4,188 of 7,711

you won't need a separate app to use Flac files, it's a standard playback on the ZX1 (hi-res included)

Music-Unlimited is just a click via the icon... not sure about the others as I only use the stock-player & none of the apps.

Cool thanks; on the Xperia's logging into MU in the settings gives all your playlists within the walkman app, but no problem if you dont use MU.

I am guessing the other apps work as normal going through the headphone output; sounds obvious I know, but just checking 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #4,189 of 7,711
The only complaint I might have with the stock app is that I want to advance through folders with a double click of the ff or rw buttons, something that power amp does really well, but other than that, the stock player is really good, if anything, they should include instead a Bluetooth remote with fully navigational capabilities as well as volume controls, coupled with a nice display... Man, I happily carry my pha-2 with my F886 no problem using my sbh-52 but sometimes instead of playing random files within the folder I would like to go sequential, something I can't do with the Bluetooth headset.

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #4,190 of 7,711
Ok Guy what's the new sony amp like with the zx1, does it really improve the sound?

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #4,191 of 7,711
Hi all,
I am awaiting the UK release and will pick up a ZX1. I have contemplated importing one due to EU volume limitation, but feel more secure in buying from a UK shop.
Anyhow, for portability with headphones I don't expect any volume issues (Amperior / Momentum). However, I have a desktop headphone amplifier that I want the option of using for other more difficult to drive cans (HD650).
If I was to use my desktop amp what is the best approach - a) using the WM port with a line out cable? b) using the headphone socket? Normally, I would obviously use the line out (iPod). However, the ZX1 has 'beefed up' wiring to the headphone socket. Also, I have read that the AK100 headphone output is considered almost equivalent to a line out due to the digital implementation. Is this true for the ZX1, or is the volume control in an analogue demain?
Any help would be appreciated, especially because I don't understand the digital / analogue implementation of headphone outputs!
Thanks
Paul

Mar 14, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #4,192 of 7,711
Ok Guy what's the new sony amp like with the zx1, does it really improve the sound?

I see ppl have discussed about this in many previous post , you can check it out , but if you want direct answers ,hope some one can help

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #4,194 of 7,711
The only complaint I might have with the stock app is that I want to advance through folders with a double click of the ff or rw buttons, something that power amp does really well, but other than that, the stock player is really good, if anything, they should include instead a Bluetooth remote with fully navigational capabilities as well as volume controls, coupled with a nice display... Man, I happily carry my pha-2 with my F886 no problem using my sbh-52 but sometimes instead of playing random files within the folder I would like to go sequential, something I can't do with the Bluetooth headset.

Is the stock player the same walkman app you have on the Xperia Ultra or is it a different app? Sorry to keep asking.

I'd assumed they'd keep the walkman app and just give it hidef flac support.

Perhaps the soon to be released Sony BRH10 Bluetooth Remote will give you the control that you need?

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #4,196 of 7,711

Is the stock player the same walkman app you have on the Xperia Ultra or is it a different app? Sorry to keep asking.

I'd assumed they'd keep the walkman app and just give it hidef flac support.

Perhaps the soon to be released Sony BRH10 Bluetooth Remote will give you the control that you need?

The SBH-52 has an screen,  assuming I want a wireless navigator, as in the good old Hi-MDs, I need an screen that allows me to travel within folders. The xperia walkman and the walkman from the f886 are similar in UI, but different, the xperia walkman can be updated from the store whereas the f886 simply says "this device is unsupported"

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #4,197 of 7,711

I wouldn't say it improves the sound but it does give it a slightly different flavour, I haven't tried the PHA-2 or ZX1 in Hi-Res yet just 'lossless'... I've got to re-rip music at some point, then I'll invest in some Hi-Res albums... the PHA-2 does drive over-head headphones better than ZX1 though I expected that.

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #4,198 of 7,711
That's a negative as it will require the Kit Kat OS on the device to be controlled.

"If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. " - Artstar

Thats very true, I forgot that, it does say 'if you have kitkat' but I guess it may be made to work on older Xperias, but only a possibility i guess.

The SBH-52 has an screen,  assuming I want a wireless navigator, as in the good old Hi-MDs, I need an screen that allows me to travel within folders. The xperia walkman and the walkman from the f886 are similar in UI, but different, the xperia walkman can be updated from the store whereas the f886 simply says "this device is unsupported"

I understand you now with the reference back to the old MD's. 

Mhh, my Xperia walkman app on the Ultra only gets updated from the phones update area, with the apps being separate from the firmware. So its possible the ZX1 app will get updated, separate to the OS.

Is it unsupported due to the fact its looking for a higher OS number perhaps...

I'm hoping Sony come out with a flac streaming service within Music Unlimited 
biggrin.gif
 so I am hoping it can be updated at least for that! 

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #4,199 of 7,711
  Hi all,
I am awaiting the UK release and will pick up a ZX1. I have contemplated importing one due to EU volume limitation, but feel more secure in buying from a UK shop.
Anyhow, for portability with headphones I don't expect any volume issues (Amperior / Momentum). However, I have a desktop headphone amplifier that I want the option of using for other more difficult to drive cans (HD650).
If I was to use my desktop amp what is the best approach - a) using the WM port with a line out cable? b) using the headphone socket? Normally, I would obviously use the line out (iPod). However, the ZX1 has 'beefed up' wiring to the headphone socket. Also, I have read that the AK100 headphone output is considered almost equivalent to a line out due to the digital implementation. Is this true for the ZX1, or is the volume control in an analogue demain?
Any help would be appreciated, especially because I don't understand the digital / analogue implementation of headphone outputs!
Thanks
Paul

a) the line-out on the ZX1 is via the WM-Port, it is a dedicated line-out with a nice clean signal.. you will not be able to use any sound enhancements via the ZX1, the external amp is in control of volume etc..

b) the headphone-out is also a good source with the added benefit of allowing you to tweak the sound via ZX1 into the external amp... if you go this route set the volume level to max on the ZX1, then control the volume via the amp.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #4,200 of 7,711
Thanks OK-Guy. Do you perceive any sound difference between line out and headphone out with all 'enhancements off'?
I guess the line out has been correctly implemented based on your comment, so probably the best option.
Are there any decent WM-port cables; only I only can find cheaper ones (might be perfectly fine) on Ebay. The Fiio one is a better option though - their iPod line out cable was excellent, but I'd happily pay more for a higher end cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back