SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Apr 29, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #4,396 of 7,541
  So today my A16 from Hong Kong arrived. I bougth it from accessoryjack. 
Browsing through the settings i ve spottetd the infamous avls Setting.My unit lacks the CE marking thats  why i am curious .Avls is only a EU implementation so why do i see those settings.Now i am afraid my A16 has  avls implmented . Is there a certain way to determine wether my unit got avls or not?

avls has nothing to do with EU legislation, it's a feature you can activate for example if you use only IEMs, so that if by accident your +volume get stuck onto something when you sit on the dap or whatever, you're avoiding to end up at max level and blow up your ears and maybe your IEM. while it's not something that might happen often, it's far from a bad option to turn ON with sensitive IEMs TBH

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #4,397 of 7,541
 So today my A16 from Hong Kong arrived. I bougth it from accessoryjack. 
Browsing through the settings i ve spottetd the infamous avls Setting.My unit lacks the CE marking thats  why i am curious .Avls is only a EU implementation so why do i see those settings.Now i am afraid my A16 has  avls implmented . Is there a certain way to determine wether my unit got avls or not?

avls has nothing to do with EU legislation, it's a feature you can activate for example if you use only IEMs, so that if by accident your +volume get stuck onto something when you sit on the dap or whatever, you're avoiding to end up at max level and blow up your ears and maybe your IEM. while it's not something that might happen often, it's far from a bad option to turn ON with sensitive IEMs TBH

Up until now i've always thought avls=EU volume cap.
But now it makes sense.
Thanks for the enlightenment :)

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #4,398 of 7,541
EU Volumecap, goverment bullsh*t is programmed in the Soc, and is invisible (cannot be deactivated), what i makes is reduces the SPL power, e.g less dB per steps, that's why vol. 30 is softer in volumen capped units

AVLs is also made as a firmware feature, that can be activated/deactivated is like iPod volumen limit, but on iPod and fiio x3 you can customize to what volumen you want top top-out, sony's AVL tops at 13, which i already consider damn loud fro IEMs.

as castle says AVLS stops at 13 step to avoid turning it up by accident all the way to 30 and blowing your ears, so once you go to 13 you cannot go up anymore, unless you deactivate it.

EU Cap. Lowered Sound pressure levels, dB's. AVLS a "stop" at certain volumen step (previous walkmas at 14 or 12) this case at 13th,

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #4,400 of 7,541
Do headphone amps purely increase the volume, or do they change the sound as a dac can?

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #4,401 of 7,541
Do headphone amps purely increase the volume, or do they change the sound as a dac can?

some amps can be very true to the source ... just like added volume and power that's all ..... and some others can change the signature like adding warmness or brightness ! 
what will you like is a personal preference and a matter of synergy with your headphones 

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #4,402 of 7,541
They can change the sound. An amp described as 'transparent' means it is striving to remain true to source, 'colored' amps are ones that may alter some characteristics. Even transparent amps can alter the sound/presentation though, especially depending on how they pair with particular headphones. There are a couple good introductory articles on here and elsewhere, i.e. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ultimate-headphone-guide-articles-what-headphone-amplifier-and-why-do-i-need-one

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #4,404 of 7,541
(Originally posted on http://community.sony.com/)

I have been using the NWZ-A17 for a couple days now and although I am pretty satisfied with the player, I found it to be lacking certain features that would make it even better.

1. Album Shuffle
As I have commented in another thread, it would be great to have an option called "Album Shuffle" under Play Mode, so that when the last track of the current album finishes playing, the first track of another album that has been selected randomly starts playing. The Ipod Classic had this feature and I found it extremely useful.

2. Screen should stay off at all times during hold
This might be subjective, but I would prefer the screen to remain turned off at all times during hold so that even if the player is in my pocket and a button is pressed by accident frequently, the screen doesn’t turn on each time and lead to loss of battery life.

3. SensMe
This is a great feature that I instantly fell in love with, although it did take several hours to analyze all the songs and then rebuild the library. What I also found annoying was:
a) Why does the first song start at the 45 second mark? Although this does sound cool for the first few times, it wears off quickly and ends up feeling like a gimmick.
b) Is there some way to integrate this into the normal playback screen instead? This could easily be another feature in the list that pops up when you press the option button in the playback screen. Or at least don’t stop the songs when you exit from SensMe.

4. Greater volume increments
I am not sure if this would an easy fix, but I certainly would have liked more volume increments (eg. up to 50). When I use sensitive IEM’s, I often ended up with the volume at 2 (which is a bit too quiet) or at 3 (which is a bit too loud).

5. Speed of Fast Forward/Rewind needs to be exponential instead of linear
Basically what I mean with this is when I am fast forwarding or rewinding when long pressing the left and right buttons, the seeker needs to move faster and faster with time. Currently, it is a pain to navigate through lengthy songs as the seeker moves at a constant speed. An option to adjust the acceleration would be even better.

6. Shorter intervals for Sleep Timer
Not a major gripe at all, but I think there should be an option for shorter intervals (eg. 5 min, 10 min, 15 min) for the sleep timer. I think this would be the preference for most people as the NWZ-A17 wakes up almost immediately from sleep anyways.

I think the above are the main shortcomings that I can currently come up with. This would absolutely be my dream player if these issues are all addressed, but I can only hope.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #4,405 of 7,541
Can get with all of those... also playlist creation. Bookmarks not quite cutting it.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #4,406 of 7,541

I have been using the NWZ-A17 for a couple days now and although I am pretty satisfied with the player, I found it to be lacking certain features that would make it even better.

1. Album Shuffle
As I have commented in another thread, it would be great to have an option called "Album Shuffle" under Play Mode, so that when the last track of the current album finishes playing, the first track of another album that has been selected randomly starts playing. The Ipod Classic had this feature and I found it extremely useful.
you just change the playback range and when an album has been entirely shuffled, the player goes on to the next folder. you can also get a shuffle all, or a shuffle only inside one folder with of without repeat. I actually don't know that many DAPs with all those options.
This might be subjective, but I would prefer the screen to remain turned off at all times during hold so that even if the player is in my pocket and a button is pressed by accident frequently, the screen doesn’t turn on each time and lead to loss of battery life.
why not. I really can't say it would change my life.
3. SensMe
This is a great feature that I instantly fell in love with, although it did take several hours to analyze all the songs and then rebuild the library. What I also found annoying was:
a) Why does the first song start at the 45 second mark? Although this does sound cool for the first few times, it wears off quickly and ends up feeling like a gimmick.
b) Is there some way to integrate this into the normal playback screen instead? This could easily be another feature in the list that pops up when you press the option button in the playback screen. Or at least don’t stop the songs when you exit from SensMe.
the 45sec I never got why ^_^. I'm guessing they placed the sense me stuff in a seperate place as not to have people whine that some option doesn't work and just return the DAP without reading the manual.
I am not sure if this would an easy fix, but I certainly would have liked more volume increments (eg. up to 50). When I use sensitive IEM’s, I often ended up with the volume at 2 (which is a bit too quiet) or at 3 (which is a bit too loud).
the reason why I bought my first amp. often on DAPs the lowest values can be +6db per step, real annoying when you're used to listen to music very quietly with sensitive IEMs.
the pico slim had 0.5db steps, and my uha760 has 1db steps. so its much better than the sony(on the sony the amplitude of the steps changes, it can be more or less of a problem depending on how loud you listen). but yeah while I don't need 255steps, I could do with 60 to 100steps, or a gain switch.
Basically what I mean with this is when I am fast forwarding or rewinding when long pressing the left and right buttons, the seeker needs to move faster and faster with time. Currently, it is a pain to navigate through lengthy songs as the seeker moves at a constant speed. An option to adjust the acceleration would be even better.
fast forward while playing for precise movement, and just pause, then fast forward for fast movement
wink_face.gif

Not a major gripe at all, but I think there should be an option for shorter intervals (eg. 5 min, 10 min, 15 min) for the sleep timer. I think this would be the preference for most people as the NWZ-A17 wakes up almost immediately from sleep anyways.
never used that on a DAP, I just disable repeat, and let the DAP stop at the end of an album.
I think the above are the main shortcomings that I can currently come up with. This would absolutely be my dream player if these issues are all addressed, but I can only hope.

answers added in red to keep it a secret from a few color blind people. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #4,407 of 7,541

1. Album Shuffle

3. SensMe

Totally agree with you on ALL
beerchug.gif
, I loved the iPod classic album shuffle, because i could shuffle albums and still play in order, f.e to avoid 60 CDs of bach cantatas on a row, loved to shuffle all and get a chopin, then bach canatas etc

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #4,408 of 7,541
Hey I had no idea FF/REW went faster when song was paused
eek.gif
. Sony trying to be a little sneaky there
rolleyes.gif

Also, I found out that sleep timer is actually not what I meant. I believe this feature turns the device off regardless of play/pause? I guess what I want is a power off timer, which sets the time it takes to shut the player down when music is not playing.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #4,409 of 7,541
oh... and folder location in the now playing file information screen would be nice  for those of us paleolithic folk that found old ID3 tagging inadequate and just didn't bother half the time...

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #4,410 of 7,541
  Hey I had no idea FF/REW went faster when song was paused
eek.gif
. Sony trying to be a little sneaky there
rolleyes.gif

Also, I found out that sleep timer is actually not what I meant. I believe this feature turns the device off regardless of play/pause? I guess what I want is a power off timer, which sets the time it takes to shut the player down when music is not playing.

That FF/REW feature has been in there since the first models xD

Also I think the kind of full shut down is like 12hrs of no use or button pressing. Since it is really doing nothing on stand by I'd be surprised if you would notice the difference in power consumption. I don't think you'd be saving an extra hour of music by making it less, in fact you'd probably be churning more power having to reload the ram with data. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back