SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Feb 27, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #3,256 of 7,541
after 24hours of owning a MDR-1aDAC i have to say they have made my use of ex700/h1 earphones redundant with my a15.

the digital connection really makes a difference, im just gutted the "port" is on top of the cups/facing skyward,
if it wasnt for this fact id use they out and about all the time (London, England rains randomly....)

and i havent wanted to use my z7 at all, yes they are both aluminium coated drivers but i think as they are half the surface area (70mm vs 40mm)
they have speed or something :p

only bad thing is they get real hot for my ears, the left cup gets warmer than the right side but not a big deal

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #3,257 of 7,541
Feb 27, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #3,258 of 7,541

Try out amazon for iGadgitz cases (silicone) or if you dare to import from japan a sony case for the walkman

I'd definitely recommend the official Sony CKM-NWA10 silicone case, which is readily available in a few colors on eBay from Japanese sellers.  I was considering it along with Sony's leather case, but ultimately chose the silicon as it looked more convenient to use rather than having to open the leather case every time I pulled it out of my pocket.

It also comes with a screen protector that can be applied prior to putting the walkman in the case, so it's protected all over.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #3,259 of 7,541
I'd definitely recommend the official Sony CKM-AW10 silicone case, which is readily available in a few colors on eBay from Japanese sellers.  I was considering it along with Sony's leather case, but ultimately chose the silicon as it looked more convenient to use rather than having to open the leather case every time I pulled it out of my pocket.

It also comes with a screen protector that can be applied prior to putting the walkman in the case, so it's protected all over.

Can you give me a link to which seller you purchased from? I want to make sure I'm getting a genuine one and not a knock off...

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #3,260 of 7,541
Can you give me a link to which seller you purchased from? I want to make sure I'm getting a genuine one and not a knock off...

This is the one I purchased, which I chose mainly due to the free EMS shipping, which is ridiculously fast.  My case was shipped on Feb. 22nd from Japan, and I received it in Canada on the 26th (Japan Post must be crazy efficient).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221619965752

Unfortunately it looks like the seller only has pink and black, so if you want another colour you`d have to go with another seller.  I wouldn`t worry too much, though, as it`s been my experience that Japanese sellers are some of the most courteous, honest and reliable people to do business with.  Here are some other choices, and as long as the seller Japanese registered I think they`ll be offering an authentic product:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xckm-nwa10.TRS0&_nkw=ckm-nwa10&ghostText=&_sacat=0

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #3,261 of 7,541
As planned, last night I sucessfully convinced my misses that I desperately need new portable headphones (even though I have 4 others in perfect condition, one of which is still brand new packed in its box) I got to buy the long wanted Senn PX-100-II to pair with my beloved A15.

So, I hurried home excited and my happiness grew larger when I found my Igadgitz white silicone case in the mailbox. I was not expecting it to arrive for another week or so. I ordered it on 19 February. It took only 8 days for it to reach from UK to Malaysia!!! I am officially impressed.

I dressed my A-15 in the new case and it actually fits and looks quite nice. It covers the whole player except for half an inch below the option and back button. I thought it would look cheap but it doesnt, the white case matches the silver color of the walkman and it looks rather nice. It gives me a better grip when holding and using the player as it is not slippery anymore. I did not put the screen saver on yet as I am terrible at that and will ask someone to stick it up for me.

My misses wanted some hanky penky but I made clear to her that it needs to wait as I have to play with my PX first (hehehehe).

I am new to this hi-fi hoby and have not written any reviews yet but I promised yesterday I will report on the synergy between A15 and Senn PX 100-II so here it goes.

I unboxed my PX 100-II and plugged it into my newly dressed walkman. I had the EQ set to flat at all frequencies. As such the sound was good but I found it a tad overly bassy and little too thick. Then, I set the clear bass value to zero and boosted the 16K band to +2 and there was the sound I was expecting and hoping for. The lean output of A15 coupled with dark meaty sound of PX100-II. Yumm!!!

Even at zero value on the EQ settings the bass extends quite deep and hits sufficiently hard for me (I am not extreme basshead but love my bass). Yes, it could do with a little more tightness and speed but still very enjoyable as is. Had my head banging up and down with my wife looking at me with contempt not believing I chose to play with PX instead with her (hehehe).

The mids seem to be just slighty recessed but I prefer them like that as I do not like shouty and 'in your face' vocals. The bass does not bleed excessively into the mids so vocals can still be heard properly and sound natural and crisp. I like.

The highs were laid back a tad too much (prior to me boosting them up slightly) but after the boost they extended high enough 4 me and had a little sparkle (again, I do not like the shrill fatiquing highs that I heard on some other protables) and retrieve plenty of details. I guest detail retrieval is also helped a lot by walkman's SQ. Whatever the case, I hear things in some songs I didnt notice before and I am impressed that a small portable can retrieve details like that.

I was also amazed that this thing had a soundstage actually. Its not huge or anything bit it is there and is enjoyable, espacially with classical music. Usually open back portables do not have any soundstage to speak of. Again it may be helped by the sounstage created by the walkman but it was nice to hear/feel the music in front/around me and not in my head like I do when I have IEMS stuffed in my ears. Quite refreshing I'd say.

The synergy between the two is good for any type of music and PX100-II is a great all rounder. However, due to the hard hitting/quality bass I guess its best for bass heavy music such as electronic/house/techno/dubstep and alike.

Overall, the sound coming out of PX100-II paired with my A-15 is pleasant, laid back, airy and never agressive or tiring. Really fun and engaging sound I was looking for. I can close my eyes and feel like I am listening to a lot more expensive, (aroundear) headphones. These are really awesome and sound way over their price range. Now I get it why these get recommended a lot as a gateway to hi-fi world.

I am happy with my purchase and with A-15/PX 100-II combo and could see myself not wanting to upgrade to more expensive gear anytime soon, but we all know that's not how it is gonna go. Upgrade cannot be avoided can it, espacially not when you are a member of this forum. Let's just hope my wife is not reading this.

Cheers

Jamal

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #3,263 of 7,541
I am happy with my purchase and with A-15/PX 100-II combo and could see myself not wanting to upgrade to more expensive gear anytime soon, but we all know that's not how it is gonna go. Upgrade cannot be avoided can it, espacially not when you are a member of this forum. Let's just hope my wife is not reading this.

Cheers

Jamal

I used to have a PX200-II, at the time I convinced myself that it will be my last purchase cos I'm really happy with SQ and portability. Once I walked to the store and tried V-Moda XS, I ended up selling PX200.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #3,264 of 7,541
  I used to have a PX200-II, at the time I convinced myself that it will be my last purchase cos I'm really happy with SQ and portability. Once I walked to the store and tried V-Moda XS, I ended up selling PX200.

Yes I love my XS as well, it is very nice. I preferred it easily over the Momentum's (first gen, haven't heard the new Gen yet). The XS is a stellar portable. The only down side, and this is common to all on-ear designs, is that you may need to adjust the position to get the perfect seal, but doing so is almost automatic after you have been wearing them for awhile.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #3,265 of 7,541
  Just curious what others think. When I read about people taking hundreds of gigs of music on a portable unit I wonder why we do this? I know that recently I stopped doing this as much of our collection goes unused (I'm sure that is true for most of you). I know what I'm listening too currently and I tend to prefer to put less on my devices as it makes it far easier to locate things, and another thing I find when you have so much choice you simply flip around constantly and I find I used to spend far too much time scrolling through my collection looking for inspiration. Does anybody else think the near obsession with massive storage for a portable device isn't really that beneficial? Just looking to see where others are coming from on this. Cheers.

Well, I don't know about you, but I listen to music for at least 6 hours a day minimum. So yeah, I could not do with just repeating a few albums. I goto "All Songs" and play songs via shuffle mode! If I don't care for a particular song, I skip it. It works for me as I listen to a variety of genres and I never get bored. It all depends on the use... I don't need to scroll at all. But if I want something specific, I have very organized folders so, there's that...

I usually go to my song list and shuffle play from there. More songs equals more variety, with less chance of repeat the next day.

This!

I think the same bro, i'll wait for the 256 micro
beerchug.gif
 I had a nikkon  coolpix s6 camera and ttreid to fix some connection lose with the battery terminal and ended over-bending a ribbon cable and breaking it oops!

I think so 256GB are still expensive as far i know Sandisk got a 512GB one so don't know if they are goint to cheap sooner or later

Well... do note that the 256 micro might as well cost up to $200 bucks probably!
My 256gb SD went for like $75...

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #3,266 of 7,541

Just curious what others think. When I read about people taking hundreds of gigs of music on a portable unit I wonder why we do this? I know that recently I stopped doing this as much of our collection goes unused (I'm sure that is true for most of you). I know what I'm listening too currently and I tend to prefer to put less on my devices as it makes it far easier to locate things, and another thing I find when you have so much choice you simply flip around constantly and I find I used to spend far too much time scrolling through my collection looking for inspiration. Does anybody else think the near obsession with massive storage for a portable device isn't really that beneficial? Just looking to see where others are coming from on this. Cheers.

Well, I don't know about you, but I listen to music for at least 6 hours a day minimum. So yeah, I could not do with just repeating a few albums. I goto "All Songs" and play songs via shuffle mode! If I don't care for a particular song, I skip it. It works for me as I listen to a variety of genres and I never get bored. It all depends on the use... I don't need to scroll at all. But if I want something specific, I have very organized folders so, there's that...

LOL i beat you hehe I listen to music between 4 and 10 hours a day, f.e if i am just programming in java (android) or .net i go my work day with music

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #3,267 of 7,541
My wife doesn't say a word when I buy gear. I feel really guilty at times and get weak emotionally. I wish she would scream at me one day!

Mine does not scream but there seems to be genuine wonder/difficulty to understand as to why I need so many ear/headphones...cant say I blame her, sometimes I wonder the same!!! hehehe

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #3,268 of 7,541
  LOL i beat you hehe I listen to music between 4 and 10 hours a day, f.e if i am just programming in java (android) or .net i go my work day with music

LOL yeah, it depends on the type of work I'm doing that day. If I have too many meetings and stuff, it's like 4 hours but it's usually 6+ and one of the reasons I like the A17 very much is its long battery life. I'm still surprised with this little player and will also get rid of my Astel & Kern 100mk2! :)

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #3,269 of 7,541

LOL yeah, it depends on the type of work I'm doing that day. If I have too many meetings and stuff, it's like 4 hours but it's usually 6+ and one of the reasons I like the A17 very much is its long battery life. I'm still surprised with this little player and will also get rid of my Astel & Kern 100mk2! :)

High praise indeed. I like it very much and I am considering pairing it with the new Oppo HA 2 if I can get a simple solution to the Sony cable connection issue.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #3,270 of 7,541
High praise indeed. I like it very much and I am considering pairing it with the new Oppo HA 2 if I can get a simple solution to the Sony cable connection issue.

Me too I want to buy the oppo Ha-2 and use my A17 using the Fiio L5 while i search for a digital IN sony cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back