SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Feb 27, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #3,241 of 7,541
  Just curious what others think. When I read about people taking hundreds of gigs of music on a portable unit I wonder why we do this? I know that recently I stopped doing this as much of our collection goes unused (I'm sure that is true for most of you). I know what I'm listening too currently and I tend to prefer to put less on my devices as it makes it far easier to locate things, and another thing I find when you have so much choice you simply flip around constantly and I find I used to spend far too much time scrolling through my collection looking for inspiration. Does anybody else think the near obsession with massive storage for a portable device isn't really that beneficial? Just looking to see where others are coming from on this. Cheers.

I know what you mean.   I have my periods (that came out wrong :) when I only listen to, say symphonies for days then all of a sudden a Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin song gets stuck in my head and being an extremely impatient and obsessive person, I HAVE to listen to that song :)  
Heck, I sometimes listen to the same album over and over again. But it would make life very hard for me to upload all my classical collection, then erase them all and upload all my classical rock collection etc. over and over again. Maybe I am strange but I even find myself longing for my Christmas collection in the middle of summer 
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #3,242 of 7,541
The ZX1 can stream music files (lossless & hirez) from a wifi drive.

Can you share your thought between the F887 vs. A17.  I prefer the sound of my ZX1 over the A17 due to its more powerful sound signature as well as better resolution details.  How about the F887 then?

I've read the F880 series sounds very much alike the ZX1, and your impressions are similar to mine. The F887 is a bit more powerful, and has better resolution with a bit more soundstage. I'll be keeping it for portable use around the house, and the A17 for on the go.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #3,243 of 7,541

Haha, that's rather impressively rigorous. I don't know how I would even begin to keep track of that. All of my CDs have been ripped to FLAC, but without the hi-res frequency and sample rates, only some of my digital downloads get flagged as hi-res on the a17... though I don't really have the ears or the gear for that (if the claims aren't specious), oftentimes I'll bump stuff down to v0 or 192 for uploading to portable devices.

Before changing to FLAC i was a professed FAN of 192 until a CD of Bach Golberg variations (Pierre Hantai, Opus 111, 1993) revealed the nuances, to confirm grabber Mozart Flute Concertos (Deutsche Grammophone, Orpgheus Chamber Orchestra, 1989) revealed the finer details and decided to trash all mp3 and restart as FLAC took me 2 years to rebuild my library in lossless for dual purpose, backup of aging CDs and audiophile listening

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #3,244 of 7,541
Any of you Bach heads have a favorite version of the viollin partitas and sonatas I should check out? Bit inclined to Gidon Kremer and Viktoria Mullova's myself.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #3,245 of 7,541
   I don't really have the ears or the gear for that (if the claims aren't specious), oftentimes I'll bump stuff down to v0 or 192 for uploading to portable devices.

Don't worry, no human has the ears to tell the difference. (I hope this doesn't start a 24 bit war. There's a special thread for that if you are interested :) 
I bought some albums from HDTracks, but now I down sampled them to 16/44.1 and did some trolling in Facebook. (I hope Neil Young read my posts, but I somehow doubt it :) 

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #3,246 of 7,541
  Any of you Bach heads have a favorite version of the viollin partitas and sonatas I should check out? Bit inclined to Gidon Kremer and Viktoria Mullova's myself.

An old recording by Arthur Grumiaux. I'd check this one if you don't have it. 

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #3,247 of 7,541

Mine Arthur Grumiaux

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #3,248 of 7,541

I have that one I love it, the virtuosity of Grumiaux is unrivalled and his precious violin resonates beatifully from the inside out

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #3,249 of 7,541
  I know what you mean.   I have my periods (that came out wrong :) when I only listen to, say symphonies for days then all of a sudden a Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin song gets stuck in my head and being an extremely impatient and obsessive person, I HAVE to listen to that song :)  
Heck, I sometimes listen to the same album over and over again. But it would make life very hard for me to upload all my classical collection, then erase them all and upload all my classical rock collection etc. over and over again. Maybe I am strange but I even find myself longing for my Christmas collection in the middle of summer 
biggrin.gif

The fact that you are a head-fi member by definition provides you entry into the weird club, so I guess you mean are you more weird? Yes, most certainly. What do you think of the new Sabbath album (13)? I actually like it quite a bit so maybe I'm the weird one.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #3,250 of 7,541

The fact that you are a head-fi member by definition provides you entry into the weird club, so I guess you mean are you more weird? Yes, most certainly. What do you think of the new Sabbath album (13)? I actually like it quite a bit so maybe I'm the weird one.

Like you said, who isn't weird here 
biggrin.gif

It's a decent album. I think they tried to resurrect the original Sabbath sound. Still, it's OK but average. Give me Paranoid any day.  The legend deserved a better last album I think. But Ozzy's Scream is pretty solid. 

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #3,251 of 7,541

I am actually in love with this particular recording as well though only having gotten into classical music recently (<1 year).  There's just so much expression and emotion in every stroke that I can't help but to listen to it over and over.

I am really curious to know if anyone here would have any recommendations that sounds as beautiful as this?

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #3,252 of 7,541

I am actually in love with this particular recording as well though only having gotten into classical music recently (<1 year).  There's just so much expression and emotion in every stroke that I can't help but to listen to it over and over.

I am really curious to know if anyone here would have any recommendations that sounds as beautiful as this?

try this one

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #3,253 of 7,541
IPHONE !!!!!?

I like your profile pic, sexy bearded- guy

though I don't really have the ears or the gear for that (if the claims aren't specious), oftentimes I'll bump stuff down to v0 or 192 for uploading to portable devices.

Maybe you have envy of the fact i am lucky to have 100% flac no lossy mp3's

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #3,254 of 7,541

Here goes my recommendation: 

Five CD's of complete bliss. 

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #3,255 of 7,541
  I am really curious to know if anyone here would have any recommendations that sounds as beautiful

Before Bach, but one of my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back