SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Sep 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #32 of 7,541
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/3/6100385/move-over-neil-young-sony-is-making-a-walkman-for-audiophiles

Just read about it. So, if I understand, this is not like other players like the Astell & Kern and iBasso that have Amp sections (Which adds to the size). Maybe Sony and Neil Young are into something. From the impressions I've read about the Poni player, they don't even require an amp.

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #33 of 7,541
this is the US press release. https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-gives-you-more-ways-to-enjoy-high-resolution-audio-on-the-move-with-all-new-walkman-nwz-a17-hi-res-audio-digital-music-player-and-mdr-1a-hi-res-headphones/ 

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #34 of 7,541
Wow, this may finally be the one to get me to upgrade to a newer player since the ipods.  All the so called high end (high price) models from the likes of Iriver AK etc had better start looking over the shoulders.  64 gig AND microsdxc?  If only it had a touch screen but hey ho got to leave something for the next model release hey?

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #35 of 7,541
just pre-ordered a A15, they say to expect delivery october the 7th (france). dunno if it's real or some automated value given when they don't know? well ... only time will tell!
that will make 4 sony daps at home, 8 if I add other brands, it's really more than time to stop keeping stuff for no reason and go all highlander on those little guys. headfi is making me be so unreasonable...

Sep 3, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #36 of 7,541
I really hope they keep the sound stage similar to the A-86X series, because I just love the hearing bass drums on that series lol.  If it is similar, then this is an insta-buy for me.  

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #37 of 7,541
  just pre-ordered a A15, they say to expect delivery october the 7th (france). dunno if it's real or some automated value given when they don't know? well ... only time will tell!
that will make 4 sony daps at home, 8 if I add other brands, it's really more than time to stop keeping stuff for no reason and go all highlander on those little guys. headfi is making me be so unreasonable...

Where did you preorder from?  On the sony uk site we only have the a10 (16 gig) but I suppose as it finally has micro sdxc support that no longer matters.  Price is very reasonable at £170 (though I suppose compared to an ipod classic perhaps not) but at not much more than a fiio x3 I know where I would go (sorry fiio like you lots honest!).

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #39 of 7,541
Micro-SD and high-res format compatibility is very promising. I also wish they had a direct line out though. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #40 of 7,541
Where did you preorder from?  On the sony uk site we only have the a10 (16 gig) but I suppose as it finally has micro sdxc support that no longer matters.  Price is very reasonable at £170 (though I suppose compared to an ipod classic perhaps not) but at not much more than a fiio x3 I know where I would go (sorry fiio like you lots honest!).

french sony online store. it was 199euro, so like 10euro lower than the price in pound on the UK website(you guys aren't lucky with gear prices in general). and yes that's just the 16gig one, but I always did just fine buying 4gig sansa clips and µSDs, so I guess I'll be fine. I'm usually troubled by battery life long before I am with storage space. they say 30h on hirez, so knowing sony I expect like 15 to 20hours on mp3 and 10 to 15h with the line out.

If Sony implemented more direct line-out route instead of continued use of the wm port then spec-wise it would tick nearly all boxes

+1 I whined about that just last page. it's a first world problem, but I don't like having to unplug the line out to charge the DAP.

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #42 of 7,541
Don't worry boys, i'm all in for this dap. I even have a case ready for its home welcoming with micro SD card storage.
I've seen a lot of Japanese folks who claim they only need music playback, they're always asking for  a player as small as the S series but with a better amp, so this is Sony listening to them.

I've also seen people ask (for years!) if the W series can double as bluetooth headset, so Sony finally listened to them too.

it's fun how we all look for different DAPs. I'm willing to go as small and ugly as a sansa clip' screen if it gets me 2 more hours of battery life. I gave up on the f886 because the screen was uselessly big for my needs and killing the battery in real time even at minimum brightness.
about the pad shape, I agree it's not pretty. but I believe it will be better to use in a pocket than the E585's design(or previous ones of the same shape). here you can't mistakenly hit "back" or "option" while switching tracks, and having pointy shapes also separates up and down from next/previous better, while actually keeping the same buttons underneath.

what's funny is that the pic made me think about a cowon dap and scared me. but then I remembered that the software UI would be from sony and not some nightmarish cowon creature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back