SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Sep 5, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #61 of 7,541

Shouldn't matter with the Micro sd slot.  A lot of people are scratching their heads on why sony has released this, me I can't wait.  First mp3 player upgrade since the clip plus (which will then live as backup player in my work bag in case I forget to charge or whatever). I had looked at the likes of Ibasso and so on but something just held me back.

True just nice to have the extra bit of memory in case and I tend to have less problems when music is stored on most devices internally but saying that technology has improved since I had my old Clip and Sony usually have a great U.I with little or no problems with good software. Still cant find much on the sound. I know they have been leaning toward a clearer more digital sound in recent years i'm just hoping they keep a touch of that lovely warm Sony sound to accompany it. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #62 of 7,541
  True just nice to have the extra bit of memory in case and I tend to have less problems when music is stored on most devices internally but saying that technology has improved since I had my old Clip and Sony usually have a great U.I with little or no problems with good software. Still cant find much on the sound. I know they have been leaning toward a clearer more digital sound in recent years i'm just hoping they keep a touch of that lovely warm Sony sound to accompany it. 

My rockboxed clip plus and 128 gig microsdxc play very nicely together, so I'm sure that sony will have it licked.  My 2 main concerns are a)Volume limit and b)gapless playback.

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #63 of 7,541
  First mp3 player upgrade since the clip plus (which will then live as backup player in my work bag in case I forget to charge or whatever). I had looked at the likes of Ibasso and so on but something just held me back.

I wish I had been as wise as you were. I bought the X3 the DX50 and the F886. spent like 1month with the X3, 40mn+charging time with the DX50, and 3 weeks with the F886. they all have great stuff, but they are not what I was looking for. the A10 clearly is. the clips are already back ups of my A865/7 (cool to use) and E585(J3 like battery life), so I know I will feel just at home with the A10.

This A series looks good, and I have a bit of buyer's remorse about buying a Fiio X3. This has a better interface, and you can "one hand" the controls. CNET reviewer wanted a touch screen. Are you kidding? Anyway, with 64 mb included, this looks like a good deal.

the X3 can be one handed too, I found it to be better to use with my left hand. what you should ask yourself is if you need driving power or external DAC? because the X3 is pretty much a DAP + a portable DAC/AMP in one box(can't say for the sound I only had it at the beguinning and the firmware was less than optimal at the time). it has both, lot of options(analog out, balance, gain, analog in), and power/low impedance. I don't think they are competing with each other as sony daps usually have only the very minimum driving power available for portable headphones, and are small well organised and easy to use DAPs. they're walkmans after all. when you buy one you don't have to expect to play the beta tester for the first 3months like with ibasso.

Quote:

My rockboxed clip plus and 128 gig microsdxc play very nicely together, so I'm sure that sony will have it licked.  My 2 main concerns are a)Volume limit and b)gapless playback.

as said above, even without volume limit, they kept the "somethingmaster" system so it would be surprising if it was much louder than a clip.
gapless, I wouldn't dream about it. it's probably gonna be the same "gapless with wave", or maybe with some japanese versions as it happened sometimes with atrack and stuff. I've given up long ago and use a 1file album rip for live and classical albums. for real perfect gapless a rockboxed clip is still really cool.

my own concern is with the screen, on the E585 it's just a plastic screen very fragile, really nothing to brag about compared to any touchscreen even without gorilla glass. so I hope they went with glass on the A1X.

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #64 of 7,541
Cnet has posted first impressions of this walkman, the interface shown to a blue walkman (Japan only) English this means that I can import this walkman japan and enjoy my atrac3 files, and more color options, it is important to mention that, and that no A-Series Walkman has had the option of English language

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XTuGzi6qHjI

I'm glad you mentioned that because even though it will be released in the U.S. I am also tempted to purchase mine from Japan to get the teal/blue model as I did with my F807.now if November will just hurry up and get here.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #65 of 7,541
  Technically it does, but I know what you mean.

It's more digital than the usual DAC + Amp + DAP AIO. Based on the impressions of the Pono player, though, it could work. I doubt an external amp is really needed, unless you want to drive certain full-size headphones. 

Yeah, the S Master amp is class D which people think of as digital amplifier because the pulse is amplified, then the LPF converts to analog. Similar to DSD technology which also uses PWM with LPF to convert to analog.  Less stages and simpler and uses less power, hence the longer battery life.  Sony says S master reduces noise, but we all know hiss is common issue with Sony DAPs with iems.  

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #66 of 7,541
Cnet has posted first impressions of this walkman, the interface shown to a blue walkman (Japan only) English this means that I can import this walkman japan and enjoy my atrac3 files, and more color options, it is important to mention that, and that no A-Series Walkman has had the option of English language

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XTuGzi6qHjI

That's brilliant - finally something to replace my (120GB modified) Nw-HD5.

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #68 of 7,541
It looks like i will be buying mine from japan most probably price japan when they stock it ...i just cant get on with the EU volume limitation thing ...and i will be getting mine it that lovely blue colour 

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #69 of 7,541
  damn how did you put a 120gb harddrive in your nw-hd5 ...i have one and use it to play atrac files and it still sounds nice 

I used a Samsung HS12YHA - fits straight in as a replacement to the existing 20GB drive - the HD5 will format it and you can then get on with filling it with ATRACs - it makes a great everyday player.

Cheers,

Andy

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #70 of 7,541

I used a Samsung HS12YHA - fits straight in as a replacement to the existing 20GB drive - the HD5 will format it and you can then get on with filling it with ATRACs - it makes a great everyday player.

Cheers,

Andy

ok thanks for that awesome!!

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #71 of 7,541
How do you guys still use hd5 in this day and age. Even the discman fonts are better than the on these. Maybe better than Clip too. A better looking UI and I think this thing can come back in business.
damn how did you put a 120gb harddrive in your nw-hd5 ...i have one and use it to play atrac files and it still sounds nice 

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #72 of 7,541
How do you guys still use hd5 in this day and age. Even the discman fonts are better than the on these. Maybe better than Clip too. A better looking UI and I think this thing can come back in business.

Yep the UI sucks on them but they still sound good with atrac files

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #73 of 7,541
This player looks really interesting to me. The UI looks light years better than my HiSound Audio Studio V 3rd Anniversary. I just lost my Clip Zip Plus for the gym and this might be a nice replacement where I could ditch using my Iphone with my Meelec AF62's. I bet it would sound great with my Sen Amperiors and Tf10's.

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #74 of 7,541
I hope the surround studio dsp is close to what is on the F886. on the F886 it made for a real nice 3D/crossfeed imaging while keeping most details(mostly changing positioning and the bass feeling), when on my A867 and E585 the studio DSP is just a muffled soup.

anybody knows if the screen is glass or plastic? (I might have missed some of the latest news)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back