SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Sep 10, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #91 of 7,541
  Guys, do you recommend Sony a  walkman (FLAC & HD FLAC) over FiiO x3 media player? Fiio Only pro is it's SQ, but battery life and sluggish UI suck
angry_face.gif
, now i have this buyer's remorse, gosh!

If you have had the Z, F-886 or ZX1 they're better than Fiio X3? (in terms of SQ, i know UI & battery life they're quite good)

+1

i'm also curious how the best Sony walkman's available today compare with X3, X5, DX50/90

you can make a somewhat fair estimate of the SQ knowing the the A10 will fall one notch below the Z 

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #92 of 7,541
  +1

i'm also curious how the best Sony walkman's available today compare with X3, X5, DX50/90

you can make a somewhat fair estimate of the SQ knowing the the A10 will fall one notch below the Z 

I don't know what is happening to my Fiio x3, i bought it on February 2014, and as september 2014 i have noticed significant drop in battery performance, don't know if the frequent charges (i never discharged 'till 0% tough) or are my new XBA-H3 (which are 40-ohm, more energy) I used to get 12 hours when new (i had the XBA-1's too which i remember they were either 16 or 24-ohm), now i get 6 or 7

I have the Sandisk 128GB class 10, seriously considering this walkman A17 (region MX will have also the 64GB)

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #93 of 7,541
can anyone guess how the SQ will be compared to X5 and DX90 based on the internals?...

can anyone guess the SQ of the Sony A17 compared to X5 and DX90?

Guys, do you recommend Sony a  walkman (FLAC & HD FLAC) over FiiO x3 media player? Fiio Only pro is it's SQ, but battery life and sluggish UI suck
angry_face.gif
, now i have this buyer's remorse, gosh!

If you have had the Z, F-886 or ZX1 they're better than Fiio X3? (in terms of SQ, i know UI & battery life they're quite good)

+1

third time's a charm.
 the X5 is better sounding by 129g so it has a heavier sound with better bass. obviously!

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #94 of 7,541

+1

I don't know what is happening to my Fiio x3, i bought it on February 2014, and as september 2014 i have noticed significant drop in battery performance, don't know if the frequent charges (i never discharged 'till 0% tough) or are my new XBA-H3 (which are 40-ohm, more energy) I used to get 12 hours when new (i had the XBA-1's too which i remember they were either 16 or 24-ohm), now i get 6 or 7

I have the Sandisk 128GB class 10, seriously considering this walkman A17 (region MX will have also the 64GB)

if your usb charger has low maximum output, or if you charge the X3 from your computer(maybe using it while charging? it is very much possible that you never actually reach a full charge.
from memory the X3 needs something like 4hours with a good charger, but can take a lot more if charged from a computer. the problem then is that there is a security cutting the charge after 10hours or something, whatever the actual charge level.
at least it was like that when it first came out. so try to let it charge all night, unplug it, give it maybe an hour (I don't know if there is a timing there?) and plug it in again for as long as you can. all in all let it plugged for maybe 15hours, and then count how long it works from that charge, if there is a noticeable improvement you might want to invest in a 1.5 or 2A USB charger.
else, maybe the battery was a crappy one and is already dying on you.

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #96 of 7,541

if your usb charger has low maximum output, or if you charge the X3 from your computer(maybe using it while charging? it is very much possible that you never actually reach a full charge.

I have tried to charge it over night, with computer (fiiO off completely) and still gives me 7 or 6 hours of battery runtime, tried to recalibrate the battery and i gave up, perhaps is dying on me as you said, also tried my sister's iPhone AC-charger

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #98 of 7,541

I have tried to charge it over night, with computer (fiiO off completely) and still gives me 7 or 6 hours of battery runtime, tried to recalibrate the battery and i gave up, perhaps is dying on me as you said, also tried my sister's iPhone AC-charger

iphone charger should be more than enough to charge it in a few hours. so that's not it, sorry.

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #100 of 7,541
Anyone received the Sony newsletter booklet via regular mail? It mentions the A10 as Their first audiophile player! Kinda puts doubt where the ZX1 belongs.

Pretty interesting...  Perhaps the ZX1  was experiemntal....
confused.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #101 of 7,541
I used all of the daps above, Fiio X3, Ibasso Dx50 / Dx90, and Sony F886, and i can say that Sony has a unique sound signature on its own. It's a more mainstream, fun sounding player with good bass, warm, clear and forward mids, and somewhat polite but reasonably detailed treble.

Detail : Overall F886 has a more detailed sound than X3, and Dx50, but Dx90 is a step above Sony.

Clarity : Sony, having the most forward and close soundstage has a clearer sound than Dx50 which has some slight grain on its sound, and as far as i remember it is a bit clearer than the already clean sounding X3. Having the soundstage too close to your ears positively contribute to Sony's transparency. Compared to F886, Dx90 also has a very clear sound, but probably due to its more laid-back soundstaging, the transparency does not hit you like Sony does at first place.

Soundstage : I prefer the stage of Sony to the rest, but this is quite dependent on your phones. I exclusively use headphones, not iems, and in that regard, Sony noticeably creates the widest stage from left-to-right. However, due to its stage too close to your ears, the depth is not spectacular. So to say, Sony's stage is more linear (from left-to-right) than round.

In that manner, Fiio X3's soundstage is also a bit linear ; a bit upfront like Sony (but not as much though), yet not extended to sides like Sony. Ibasso Dx50 & Dx90's stages, which i appreciate in terms of its balance, has the most round presentation. They are quite wide, and the depth is also good in both Ibasso's, better than the depth of Sony.

Extension : Among those four, Fiio X3 has the most compressed treble, and dynamics with a high freq. roll-off that begins quite early in the frequency spectrum. The bass extends nicely, but as i said, treble is quite rolled-off.

Ibasso Dx50 also has a noticeble - though less than Fiio - treble roll-off. But the bass in Dx50 does not go quite deep as Fiio, and its impact can be somewhat less than Sony and Fiio.

Sony F886 has as i've said, good, impactful bass like Fiio, and it's not bad in low-end also. Yet, none of those players I think can give the well-extended sub-bass of Ibasso Dx90. In terms of treble, Sony has some extension, but it is not again at the level of Dx90. It has a quite smooth, non-fatiguing highs, though relative to headphone, it can sometimes sound a bit harsh on cymbal crashes, and even occasionally, the vocals can be shouty.

In terms of extension, Ibasso Dx90 is the king of the four without a serious rival. You can easily hear real sub-bass rumble in many songs, and its treble has the highest, and most airy extension among these players.

Bass : Fiio and Sony both has impactful bass performance, and fortunately, their equalizers do not compress mids if you use their bass incrementation. Among four Ibasso Dx50 has the most shallow base, but at the same time it shouldn't be called as bass-light. Ibassdo Dx90 on the other side, has good impact, and it gives you the most textured bass in that comparison.

Mids : Sony has lush, transparent and very forward mids, and their warmth gives a pleasurable listening experience. X3 also has very clean, and a bit forward mids, yet the detail is not that obvious like Sony.

As I told before, Dx50 has some very slight grain in its mids, but the instruments were placed and layered better than X3 which creates a more 3D listening ambience in its laid-back soundstage.

Dx90, sharing the same 3D sounstage signature of Dx50, has cleaner mids than its cheaper brother with again good layering, and slightly better separated instruments than the rest of the players here. Yet, I feel it may have a very slight bit of V-shaped sound with again very slightly recessed mids.

Btw, the instrument separation of all these players are quite good with Dx90 having the lead by a small margin against the rest.

Treble : X3 has the most polite, laid back treble making the player a bit darker sounding.

Dx50 on the other way has a bit more detail in the treble region compared to X3, and despite again having a roll-off, it has more extension, and better dynamics than X3. But, I refrain from saying that Dx50's dynamics are not compressed ; but not as compressed as X3. The obvious compression of dynamics in X3 makes it a non-ideal player for rock as an example.

In that sense, Sony has more clarity, details, extension, and dynamics compared to X3 and Dx50 in the treble region. Yet, it also has a treble roll-off, creating a slight compression in dynamics. From the other side, Sony probably has the smoothest and easiest-to-listen treble in the comparison.

Dx90, by a noticeable margin, has the most-extended and crisp treble, and the best dynamics without any compression that I've felt. It also has the (somewhat audio-technica style) sharpest and the most aggressive treble probably due to its Sabre dacs. The treble of Dx90 is a joy to listen to with its detail level, an at the same time it can be fatiguing at times.

UI & Usability : Fiio X3 is probably the hardest to control with its UI. Ibasso's have nearly the same user experience, and operations are fast with their highly responsive touch screens. The touch screen operation of Ibasso's are even faster than Sony's which sometimes show a slight lag. But, the three front buttons of Ibasso have some lag. And all these Chinese player show more crashes than Sony. But I want to point that, I was nearly perfectly happy with the usability and UI of Ibasso's.

Sony, at the other hand, has the least amount of crashes, as you may expect. And the tactile buttons on its right side are a pleasure to use.

Battery : Generally, the batteries of these players do not exceed 10 hours in normal use. I think Fiio is around that number, or a bit higher. In fact, Ibasso Dx90 drains power very fast when listening to high-res tracks. Dx50 is better than Dx90 in that way.

You do not reach the 20 - 30 hours of use in Sony in normal conditions. Screen, searching through songs, android apps, sound gimmicks (clear stereo, clear sound, dsee, surround etc.) eat a great deal of battery when activated. But I think you can get a decent battery life if you play 16 bit files of mp3 or flac.

For any curious guys, though I miss the detail, sub-bass, and treble of Ibasso Dx90, I am using Sony F886 right now due to its very thin form factor, battery, and lush mids. I am eagerly waiting A15, assuming that it will most probably be in the same level of sound quality with F886.

Sep 12, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #103 of 7,541
Anyone received the Sony newsletter booklet via regular mail? It mentions the A10 as Their first audiophile player! Kinda puts doubt where the ZX1 belongs.

This depends where you live, if you are in an area which retails the ZX1 on the sony website then first audiophile player tag is odd, but if you live in the US or any other area which never carried the ZX1, then the A10 is the first audiophile player.

Although, the ZX1 was always a limited edition device, designed for the 35th anniversary of the Walkman, so technically not a series, just a stand alone model.

Same could be said for the X-Series, was released in 2009, when the walkman had it's 30th anniversary but it was not mentioned as an anniversary model I believe.

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #104 of 7,541

This depends where you live, if you are in an area which retails the ZX1 on the sony website then first audiophile player tag is odd, but if you live in the US or any other area which never carried the ZX1, then the A10 is the first audiophile player.

Although, the ZX1 was always a limited edition device, designed for the 35th anniversary of the Walkman, so technically not a series, just a stand alone model.

Same could be said for the X-Series, was released in 2009, when the walkman had it's 30th anniversary but it was not mentioned as an anniversary model I believe.

Ascaris do you think the EU version is going to have the volume limitation implemented  on the A10 ...i would rather buy an asian version....the x series never had it.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #105 of 7,541
  Ascaris do you think the EU version is going to have the volume limitation implemented  on the A10 ...i would rather buy an asian version....the x series never had it.

there was a supposed rumour that only the French walkman's have the volume limitation and the rest of the EU had normal volumes. But I do not have a confirmation on this.  My old E585 which I use from time to time, is pretty loud, I rarely go above volume 12-13 and only some quieter songs require 15 but never higher.  That being said, my old old NWZ-A818 bought in the US is louder than my X1060 which I purchased here in Poland, I have not compared the E585 to either so I will soon to see if the cap is still present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back