Sony NW-ZX300
Apr 3, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #11,221 of 12,862
Sort of easy to tell with power-hungry headphones as the WM1A has more 'juice' to it.

I mostly only use iem's and I really like the bass with the ZX pairing - even the Andro's no longer sound lacking as they did with other Daps, that's the main reason I kept the ZX: even tho other more expensive players give slightly more detail and airiness. Plus I have the full power version - not that I probably need it.
For me a good highly rated iem is my main priority and I prefer a compact player. The differences in sound just isn't enough for me to consider putting up with other issues (battery life, form factor, odd shape) - spending lot's of money just to get a slight benefit. Though if folk need a player to drive hungry headphones or want to stream the highest quality they can then obviously they're going to look else where - but for me the ZX suits me fine.

Apr 3, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #11,222 of 12,862
I mostly only use iem's and I really like the bass with the ZX pairing - even the Andro's no longer sound lacking as they did with other Daps, that's the main reason I kept the ZX: even tho other more expensive players give slightly more detail and airiness. Plus I have the full power version - not that I probably need it.
For me a good highly rated iem is my main priority and I prefer a compact player. The differences in sound just isn't enough for me to consider putting up with other issues (battery life, form factor, odd shape) - spending lot's of money just to get a slight benefit. Though if folk need a player to drive hungry headphones or want to stream the highest quality they can then obviously they're going to look else where - but for me the ZX suits me fine.

ZX300 is an excellent IEM DAP: long battery life, zero hissing.

It, however, is not a good headphone DAP: hell, even with my MDR-Z7M2, if not for the balanced the single-ended is actually lacking.

Apr 3, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #11,223 of 12,862
ZX300 is an excellent IEM DAP: long battery life, zero hissing.

It, however, is not a good headphone DAP: hell, even with my MDR-Z7M2, if not for the balanced the single-ended is actually lacking.

Ok, but was it designed primarily for headphones? If you want to drive those you're going to be looking at physically bigger players with tons of power, I doubt many would consider the small ZX if they wanted to mainly drive Senn HD800's etc. They won't necessarily sound significantly better considering the price, whether comparing only iem's was my point.

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #11,224 of 12,862
Ok, but was it designed primarily for headphones? If you want to drive those you're going to be looking at physically bigger players with tons of power, I doubt many would consider the small ZX if they wanted to mainly drive Senn HD800's etc. They won't necessarily sound significantly better considering the price, whether comparing only iem's was my point.
I've been using the ZX300 with a pair of HD600 and they sounded OK, but I'm close to maxing out the volume. Didn't do any controlled testing, but since the covid-19 lockdown, I've spent a lot more time at my computer and I get the impression that I'm enjoying the sound of the HD600 more now that I'm powering them from my PC jack.

Apr 3, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #11,225 of 12,862
I've been using the ZX300 with a pair of HD600 and they sounded OK, but I'm close to maxing out the volume. Didn't do any controlled testing, but since the covid-19 lockdown, I've spent a lot more time at my computer and I get the impression that I'm enjoying the sound of the HD600 more now that I'm powering them from my PC jack.

Horses for courses :sunglasses:

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #11,227 of 12,862
Updated to the latest, sound didn't change for me.

I am experiencing this whole FW business very differently from everyone else it seems. I'm interested in understanding the mechanism through which the firmware controls the sound characteristics, so I want to know about configuration parameter mapping and measurable differences... no one else cares about this. When it comes to the listening experience, while there might be differences, they are not obvious to me and they definitely didn't impact how much I'm enjoying the player, so I don't care too much about firmware-rolling. Again, no one else seems to look at it like this.

Probably difficult to get a consensus even from the people who enjoy experimenting with different firmware. It's like asking people if they prefer a +2dB or -2dB EQ setting at 200 Hz. :)

Apr 3, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #11,228 of 12,862

I am experiencing this whole FW business very differently from everyone else it seems. I'm interested in understanding the mechanism through which the firmware controls the sound characteristics, so I want to know about configuration parameter mapping and measurable differences... no one else cares about this. When it comes to the listening experience, while there might be differences, they are not obvious to me and they definitely didn't impact how much I'm enjoying the player, so I don't care too much about firmware-rolling. Again, no one else seems to look at it like this.

Probably difficult to get a consensus even from the people who enjoy experimenting with different firmware. It's like asking people if they prefer a +2dB or -2dB EQ setting at 200 Hz. :)
I have decided to help you what do you want to know exacly have you read all my posts?

Apr 3, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #11,229 of 12,862
I have decided to help you what do you want to know exacly have you read all my posts?
You have 584 posts, I don't think I read them all. :) If you're sincere about wanting to help me, please point me to the relevant posts. If I have further questions, I'll ask them via PM, unless they are relevant to the discussion here. Thanks!

Apr 3, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #11,230 of 12,862
lets do something im never unsincere why would i be unsincere send me a PM i will help you you can use the search tool for when i use the word firmware right me in PM i will help you I noticed the changes even in my zx100.. with chifi iems so there must be something wrong... and its very noticeable VIA SE

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #11,231 of 12,862

It's all design choices. You want a long lasting battery with minimal hiss for IEMs, you design an amp that has drastically less power. Personally, I think they went with the correct approach with this DAP.

I can't even find information what 'Helios T7.5J' is, let alone what it does!

Apr 3, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #11,233 of 12,862
For me the difference in sound between 2.01 and 2.02 is huge. I keep changing between them quite frequently and I can bet my life on it, that the sound is different. Even using as a USB dac and even when playing DSD the changes in sound is still there. BTW I preffer 2.01.
I'm sure there are sceptics here, but there are people who say gain setting does not affect the sound and for whom DAC mode sounds similar as the nornal mode so clearly we live in different worlds.

Apr 3, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #11,234 of 12,862
For me the difference in sound between 2.01 and 2.02 is huge. I keep changing between them quite frequently and I can bet my life on it, that the sound is different. Even using as a USB dac and even when playing DSD the changes in sound is still there. BTW I preffer 2.01.
I'm sure there are sceptics here, but there are people who say gain setting does not affect the sound and for whom DAC mode sounds similar as the nornal mode so clearly we live in different worlds.

Out of curiosity, what ear/headphone are you running off it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back